cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tolls in Florida

julieo
Explorer
Explorer
We are driving from Navaree Florida to Key West, then to Georgia and North Carolina. Do we need a Sun Pass or how does this work?
11 REPLIES 11

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
They sell the SunPass at every "Florida Welcome Center" on the interstates.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Both North Carolina and the Central Florida Expressway (Toll system) have transponders that work on all systems where EZ-Pass works, plus NC, GA, and all toll systems in Florida (Sun Pass, and E-Pass). The CFX pass is known as E-Pass. Their transponder that works along the entire East Coast and out to Illinois is called E-Pass Xtra. I have that one for both my truck (& trailer) and car. I've only used it on the West Virginia Turnpike so far, and it worked flawlessly.

Florida doesn't have one toll road system like most other states. It has two. And to complicate matters, in central Florida (Orlando area) where it seems most of the tolls roads in Florida exist, both the Central Florida Expressway and the Florida Toll road system run by FDOT not only co-exist, but share the same road. One system will end and the other begin on the same numbered highway. FDOT uses the Sun Pass system for toll collections.

State route 417 being the prime example of both systems using the same road bed. The northern end and southern end are Fla Toll roads (Sun Pass), while the central part is a Central Florida Expressway system (E-Pass).

magicbus wrote:
I have enough trouble keeping track of my one ez-pass. Does anyone know what the surcharge is if you donโ€™t have one and they send an invoice? Their web site doesnโ€™t make that very obvious.

Dave
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have enough trouble keeping track of my one ez-pass. Does anyone know what the surcharge is if you donโ€™t have one and they send an invoice? Their web site doesnโ€™t make that very obvious.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
jim1521 wrote:
plus I'm sure some administrative fee.

Indeed.

Florida is considering joining the EZ Pass network but seems to be having trouble getting it done.

Call or visit the Sun Pass website to keep up on the current situation.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I like the convenience of the SunPass. The amount you have to keep is small compared to others and they don't have any fees when the pass isn't used for a long time.
Just wish they would install better cameras/sensors so you don't have to slow down to 25MPH at some toll stations.:D
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
You will regret traveling on Florida toll roads without having a SunPass. I believe they cost $10 and the convenience is well worth it. Many of the toll roads no longer have manned toll booths - which means you get the bill in the mail - plus I'm sure some administrative fee.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
The letter you get with the bill is really nice, they thank you for visiting ect, then by the way you owe us $xx.xx. We thought it was pretty funny.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
In 2010 we rode our motorcycle/tent trailer to Key West and absolutely disliked stopping for tolls every few miles and the toll takers were rude. In 2016 we went back to Florida and found we could drive on the toll roads and the cameras would record our license plate and send us a bill. We really liked doing it that way.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
sunpass.com

Read all about it. Used to be able to pick them up at Publix. Saves time and money.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
No need to get a SunPass. Some of the toll booths are manned- there you just pay cash. Others, they take a picture of your license plate and just mail you a bill.The SunPass does give you a little discount and for the manned toll booths, you can by pass the booth, but for a one time trip just getting a bill in the mail is much easier, and you don't end up with money on your account that you will not use again.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I live in TX.
Called them by landline.
Got the sunpass by mail.
Still have it as we plan to return someday.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315