cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travelling the Southwest

The_Works
Explorer
Explorer
We have never been to New Mexico or Arizona, our trip schedule for this summer and fall would take us into both states. My question is, during October up to Thanksgiving, what kind of weather conditions/issues could we run into in New Mexico while vacationing though out the entire state? Then the same question for Arizona during the month of December? Probably sometime around Christmas we will find a RV resort to stay in near Phoenix for 2-3 months. We travel in a 35' 5th wheel. Cold weather won't be an issue for us but snow would be. Thanks for your input!!
7 REPLIES 7

JaneNLee
Explorer
Explorer
In Arizona-Wezt of Phoenix is Quartzsite AZ which is the Motorhome Mecca of the world, a few more miles West is the Colorado River and BLM land and good camping, fishing and Boating all the way to Imperial Dam and Yuma AZ.

Have a great time

Happy Rving
Jane and Lee
Never RV with anyone crazier than you!!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Check Weatherbase. They can't tell you what it will be, but they'll tell you what is has been by month over several years for lots of cities/towns within each state - and its free. If nothing else, you'll know what to pack.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
We have been in NM the last couple of Xmas. Carlsbad and Deming, Las Cruces. They are all at 3500 feet or higher. I have a pictures of us sitting outside one late afternoon with our T-shirts on and the next day with out heavy winter coats on. A week later, back to T-shirts.
Last year, 2 1/2 months around Phoenix, 1 day of rain and never lower than 45 degrees.
But if you go to the higher elevations like Sedona, Prescott, you will get snow, cold, winds. Everything in the SW depends on the elevation. But the last few years of drought makes a big difference in wet weather, but not in cold or wind.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
During the late fall/early winter is when the winter residents start showing up. As noted earlier, snow is possible and almost all evenings cool off in the mountains and high desert.

A couple of points of interest, one is the White Sands Missile Range in NM, I really wish we had time a couple of weeks ago when we were there to visit all the missile facilities. In the N/E corner is White Sands NP, it is awesome.

Another park is Carlsbad Caverns, I have wanted to go there since 3rd or 4th grade and finally made it this month. You will miss the bats as they are snowbirds too and will be back in MX by then, but the cavern is fantastic. The DW knew nothing about it other than it was a limestone cavern with some beautiful formations, she left in awe. I wasn't disappointed, and we plan on returning with our DGKs either Thanksgiving week or next spring. The Guadalupe mountains are very pretty and worth a visit.

In Arizona, don't miss Saguaro NP and Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. In the park be sure and watch the movie at the visitors center. The road from the north into the park is listed as a dirt road, it is a dirt hwy. Wouldn't take the RV there but a good drive in a car.

Have fun and bundle up at night.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Chaco Canyon the last weekend of September last year and it was down to 28 degrees overnight in the high desert. But it warmed up quickly with sunrise and the weather was spectacular during the day.

The following weeks it was a bit warmer in Taos, Abiquiu, Santa Fe, Albuquerque with chilly nights, gorgeous days. The Balloon Fiesta weather in ABQ is known for being quite cold at dawn during the launches.

So just be sure to have what you need in the way of propane for your furnace, a space heater for hookup sites, and warm clothes in layers you can shed.

There's a good COE campground with electricity in Abiquiu, by the way, at Riana Lake in the heart of scenic Georgia O'Keeffe country.

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get into mid November you can get some pretty severe snowstorms in northern AZ and NM. Youโ€™ll minimize that if you stay below about 4000 in AZ. Octoberโ€™s great weather, high or low. The Phoenix areaโ€™s roughly 1100โ€™ and youโ€™ll be fine there in the winter. It can even get pretty cold if youโ€™re away from the heat islands.

I camp high and havenโ€™t done much in southern NM, but I think the terrain there, in general, is a little higher so you may get more chance of snow. But someone from NM can give you better input. Iโ€™d do as someone suggested, do your high country traveling early and move south as it gets later in the year. And the weather isnโ€™t predictable, so keep up with it. Have a nice trip.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Both states have lower-elevation areas and higher-elevation areas. The areas that are at high elevation will have variably tougher weather as the fall progresses. Conversely, the lower areas will be variably warmer initially, but cooling off toward the end of your trip.

So plan your trip around elevation.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn