cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip from NC to SD - Nice Campgrounds on the way

corgi_jayride
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip from Asheville NC to Sturgis SD in June.
Using I-40 - 75 - 64 - 65 - 465 - 74 - 80 - 29 - and 90.

We have a 34ft Class C flat towing a small car and ideally we would like to do 200 - 250 miles max per day.

I assume there are many fellow RVers out there who have used this route and can recommend some nice campgrounds on the way.

We are not so much into Walmart or Flying J parking. We'd rather have a nice campsite where we can walk the doggies and enjoy a peaceful evening.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance for your input.

BTW: I know there is a shorter Route through Missouri but we did that twice last year and want to see something else.
9 REPLIES 9

DLAV
Explorer
Explorer

I realize this is an old post but we plan to travel from NC to SD next mid August time frame.  Also hope to get to Montana and Idaho.  Plan to b on the road about 2 months.  We also do not like to travel more than 200-250 miles daily pulling our travel trailer.  So do u recall where u stayed along the way?  Thanks

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you hit 29 as you come off 80 heading north, look for Iowa 175 hiway. East of 29 just as you exit is a nice RV park that is great for an overnite or a couple of days called "On-Ur-Wa". I think it was named this because the town just on east of there is called Onawa.
This RV park is set in a grove of Cottonwoods and in the spring the ground looks like it is covered in snow. It is FHU with a fair wifi signal (park as close as you can to the office) If you want a satellite signal, park on the back row. We have stayed there several times when going to and from SD. Great people to talk with. You might get offered some home grown tomatos depending on the time of year, or might be offered a sample of the wine they sell. 😉
The sites are pretty level on gravel. We will stay there again when we head back that way.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

corgi_jayride
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks TexasShadow and padredw for your suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to give us some pointers. Be safe on the roads.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Just a few suggestions. A good stop would be in Lexington, KY at the Kentucky Horse Park which is an RV campground and allows a visit to the Bluegrass region and Lexington itself. (Just off I-75)

We have stayed at the KOA in Sioux Falls, SD, just across the river from Sioux Falls, IA. In this area you are not too far from Pipestone National Monument. Not sure about camping there.

I won't go into the campgrounds around Sturgis/Custer except to say that we stayed at Custer's Gulch in Custer and found it convenient for most of the popular sites.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Badlands Nat'l park has a campground with elec hookups, water and dump station. It is a few miles south of 90 and you can drive through the park and out the west end. At the east junction, where you turn south to the campground, there is a private rv park on the south side if you prefer. On the north side is a very nice Nat'l Monument museum dedicated to the DEW (distant early warning)grid and missile defense...if you are interested.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

corgi_jayride
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks DutchmenSport for the info. Good to know about the overnight requirements in SD. I will look into the KOA situation along the way. It's always good to be able to enjoy the afternoons at the overnite location not just rushing through.
Happy Trails.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Indiana... about half way between Ashville, NC and Sturges, SD, and we have been to both. Actually, I lived in Morganton, NC for a few years about 35 years ago. We travel your half of the route to South Carolina and/or Florida twice a year.

Last Summer we went to Mount Rushmore from Indiana. Pretty much the same route you've selected.

Because we were traveling, we took 3 nights to get to Custer, SD and 4th night we were at our destination. Going South, we take 2 days (1 over night) to reach South Carolina or Florida (depending).

For overnights, anywhere along those routes, ANY KOA campground will accomidate you for an over night. We found the closer we got to South Dakota, the more other private campground required a 2 or 3 night stay.

Between a combination of State Parks and KOA's for an overnight, you can take any of your pick and you won't go wrong. FYI, we planned on actual travel time, only 200 miles a day for the South Dakota trip. That way, we could unhitch the trailer at the KOA and still have most of the afternoon and all evening to explore the area and do things. Then we still had over a week at Custer, Mount Rushmore, Sturges, the Bad Lands, and traveling the Black Hills, Deadwood, all those places. It was great!

So, my suggestion, pick the distance you want to travel per day, and look for a KOA in the area and do an over night. All KOA's will let you do a one night over night. In - out - there - gone! Full hookup, and affordable.

Good luck.

corgi_jayride
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help azdryheat. I know those resources but was kinda hoping someone had first hand experience at some places on the way. I went to Maine a few years back and even though places had respectable Good Sam ratings, the reality looked much different in several cases. Safe travels azdryheat.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't taken that route but I've had real good luck using the Good Sam app and rvparkreviews.com to find respectable, well rated/reviewed rv parks.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE