cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip up Alaska Hwy in 2015

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Wife wants to head up the Alaska hwy next year, I do not think we will do the top of the world hwy at all, nor dawson city as I do not see going all the way in, then having to come all the way out to hit the hwy again, and she does want to go I think to Anchorage, either way I need to find a way to find out what sites there are for a 5th wheel to camp, I am sure she will want her power and water and sewer, and to run the A/C, so is there somewhere to find out how to find all the RV sites?
I am sure we will need to call and reserve on our trip, she does not like my way of just showing up and hoping for the best, did not like my suggestion of for example taking the top of the world and just pulling over and camping, so will need to stick to regular hwys and campgrounds.
Thanks for any info.
21 REPLIES 21

2PM_s
Explorer
Explorer
For most RVers going to Alaska the first time will find they way over planned the whole adventure. One to two days ahead, as others have said here, will be your plans most of the time. Remember, there aren't that many roads to and in Alaska, they are just very, very long. The books that have been mention here will tell you about the places to visit and those places will most likely be on the road you are on. Have fun.

CarmenandJoey
Explorer
Explorer
rogernvicky wrote:
CarmenandJoey
I also looked at the RV rental one way trip and found that you can keep it longer for a very reasonable fee compared to hotels rooms and rental car. For us we decided to purchase one instead. 16 days is not alot ot time.

I know 16 days is to short but its better then no days! Good enough to get a taste and prepare for the next trip. Even if we are just able to drive through and get smell glimpses We'll be happy just being able to see the sites and enjoy what we can! Just getting away is great and what an adventure!!

rogernvicky
Explorer
Explorer
CarmenandJoey
I also looked at the RV rental one way trip and found that you can keep it longer for a very reasonable fee compared to hotels rooms and rental car. For us we decided to purchase one instead. 16 days is not alot ot time.

CarmenandJoey
Explorer
Explorer
PghBob wrote:
CarmenandJoey, welcome to RVing. I saw your post about going to Alaska and that's great. But, I am a little concerned that it will be your first time RVing. Wouldn't want you to go so far and not enjoy it. For someone who has not used an RV before, there can be quite a lot to learn. For an easier trip to Alaska, consider renting an RV near your home for a week or so this year and take it to a campground and learn how to hook up, fill the water tank, dump black and gray tanks and perform all the routine day to day things that most RVers need to do. Hopefully, that will allow you more time to enjoy Alaska and less time figuring things out.

PghBob Thanks for the great idea, it took me 1/2 a second to convince my wife to take an extra couple of days this year and go for a drive...LOL. I've been researching RVs watched a couple of videos about what to expect on the trip, the unexpected, but like you said there is nothing like hands on experience!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Someone was saying that Great Alaska Holidays was full up and had a waiting list for this summer deliveries. They too were looking into going with ABC if they could get assigned a rig.

Everyone that goes to Alaska by RV, has to have a first time and most of us survive it without much problems. Anything about the operations of the RV, read up on it before you go and don't hesitate to ask others in the campgrounds for "how to" advice if you need it. A couple of years back a young couple parked next to us in Dawson Town at the Gold Rush Campground, had rented a Class C in Whitehorse and didn't understand the way to connect the water, electric and sewer dumps. So in offering to help, I quickly found out they were from Paris and didn't speak English, but with panomine, a beer or two and both of us speaking some Spanish, I was able to get them comfortable with the rig. The next morning I did a walk along with them as they dumped the sewer and gray tanks, disconnected the electric, etc. I suspect in a day or so they were able to help others needing advice on RVing. LOL

If a person can drive 250 to 500 miles a day, then they can drive to Alaska with a good condition vehicle. (and a credit card with a good limit on it) It is just a series of many such driving days, one after another, more than most RVers have ever done sequentially.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
CarmenandJoey, welcome to RVing. I saw your post about going to Alaska and that's great. But, I am a little concerned that it will be your first time RVing. Wouldn't want you to go so far and not enjoy it. For someone who has not used an RV before, there can be quite a lot to learn. For an easier trip to Alaska, consider renting an RV near your home for a week or so this year and take it to a campground and learn how to hook up, fill the water tank, dump black and gray tanks and perform all the routine day to day things that most RVers need to do. Hopefully, that will allow you more time to enjoy Alaska and less time figuring things out.

CarmenandJoey
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on driving up mid-May of 2015, first time going to Alaska and first time RV’ing. We are hoping to rent an RV from either Great Alaskan Holidays (Forest City Iowa) or ABC Motorhomes (Elkhart Indiana). Both have a one way special, pick up a brand new RV from the factory and drive it up, decent rates. Saw some others but they had horrible reviews so we plan on sticking with them. The Milepost is great, been going through it planning places to go. Unfortunately we only have 16 days for the trip but we just want to drive a get a glimpse of everything then go back and really explore. I figure if we do the long days to get to Dawson Creek, then we can slow down, figuring it will take 7 days to get up there.

Gas can be a concern but I figure it balances out sleeping in a motel, different bed every night, dragging luggage in and out. I’d rather pay a little extra or boondock and be able to relax and enjoy the drive then worry about a motel in the middle of nowhere!

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
Can't help with with info but I plan to go up next summer and will be taking the Alaska Hwy going up and the Cassiar on the return. Of course I have the Milepost and Church's Travelers Guide to Alaskan Camping, which my friend and her husband found very useful on their trip last year. My main concern is the fuel prices but there's nothing I can do about that. As they say, 'It is what it is'.
I'd be concerned too, if I were you. :W

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
You probably will not need air conditioning for your trip. 🙂

Also, I would not recommend making reservations for your whole stay unless you want to do it a day or two beforehand. There are plenty of places to stay and if it's just an overnight, there are some gorgeous boondocking spots. You can be a lot more flexible without reservations. Suppose you don't like the area or like it so much you want to stay longer. Suppose you have mechanical problems or there are road problems. We find it very easy to travel without reservations. The only ones we made were for July 4 weekend in Palmer, Alaska and 5 nights in Denali's Teklanika campground. We made those about 3 weeks prior when we had a better idea of when we'd be there.

Have a good trip!
Good info. We've been up 6 times since 2006 and agree completely.(5 driving and once flying for the Iditerod where we rented a car and drove around for 2 weeks.) If you're really concerned about reservations call a day or two ahead. We don't use any reservations all the way up from DE and all the way back. In fact the only place we pay is at the Grand Forks Air Force Base FAMCAMP going up and back. Good place to wash the rig and toad and get laundry done. The rest of the stops are boondocked at turnoffs, Walmarts, or anywhere we feel like it. Dumps and water are available in Canadian towns mostly for free and can be found in the Milepost. In AK the BIG holiday weekends and things like the Women's Salmon Derby weekend in Valdez and the beginning of the Red Salmon run in Copper Center might be tight but we've never had a problem. Stay flexible and enjoy. You'll probably get hooked like we are. We go up every second year and FISH, as well as sightsee. Brought home about 17 cu-ft of salmon, halibut and shrimp last September.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You probably will not need air conditioning for your trip. 🙂

Also, I would not recommend making reservations for your whole stay unless you want to do it a day or two beforehand. There are plenty of places to stay and if it's just an overnight, there are some gorgeous boondocking spots. You can be a lot more flexible without reservations. Suppose you don't like the area or like it so much you want to stay longer. Suppose you have mechanical problems or there are road problems. We find it very easy to travel without reservations. The only ones we made were for July 4 weekend in Palmer, Alaska and 5 nights in Denali's Teklanika campground. We made those about 3 weeks prior when we had a better idea of when we'd be there.

Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
I have it on order now, hope to see it by may 1st as I put in for faster delivery.

Thanks

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, that's it.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
I should mention that as a young man, well younger than I am now I did the trip with my buddy and his family and my girlfriend and her boy and we tented, we traveled with 7 of us in his GMC 3+3 truck, so for some it was a tight fit, and we did the trip to Whitehorse where I have friends, then on to Fairbanks, we did Dawson City and then Top of the world hwy, which back in 1992 was during the anniversary of the hwy, and had a good time, but now the wife has never done a trip like this and wants amenities and will not tent, so that is why it will be a fifth wheel trip, but rather than just take it as it comes she wants it all planned out and to know where stopping stops will be, so I have ordered the book mentioned and she has the milepost one now, so appreciate all the help.
Bill

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
We are also traveling to Alaska in May 2015 and plan to be on the east side of the Rockies before the middle of Sept. As stated above, Church's book, the Mile Post, and the Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping: Alaska and Yukon Camping With RV or Tent are must read books for Alaska.

Alaska is a ONCE in a lifetime trip. That is why we are going back in 2015 for our 5th time. Every time we go, it is like the first time, truely amazing! Enjoy your adventure.

Lakeside