cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tucson to la junta

jgama
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for best route, by cars only, from Tucson, AZ to La Junta, CO. Suggestions appreciated. We plan on leaving in mid-March.
Jim and Karen
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel
Cougar 295EFS
4 REPLIES 4

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're doing this in a car... consider AZ-77 up to Globe, and then US-60 over to Socorro, NM. Time-wise, it's longer, but you're going to see scenery you'll miss by driving around the White Mountains...

US-60 goes via the Salt River Canyon between Globe and Show Low, and also thru the middle of the Very Large Array radio telescope. It's one of those out of the way place many people never see, let alone stop at for the free self-guided tour...

I don't mind that type of drive with the Class C, but it can make some people a bit nervous... In a car or truck, I wouldn't think twice about going that way.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that the 350 from Trinidad to LaJunta is a narrow 2 lane rd, been there done that with a 5th wheel

jgama
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Depends when you are planning to leave and if you want the most direct or scenic.

Less miles: AZ I-10 to NM I-25 to CO 350 to La Junta is 780 miles

AZ I-10, AZ I-17, AZ/NM I-40 to NM I-25 to CO 350 is 910 miles

Ourselves, if traveling in months other than winter, we would get to Durango, CO and take Hwy 160 east to I-25 at Walsenburg and Hwy 10 to La Junta. We don't like to drive interstates. Have a good trip!

Thanks Gypsies. We are leaving March 13. Would like to avoid snow and scenic would be nice. This will likely be our only trip with these locations.
Jim and Karen
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel
Cougar 295EFS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Depends when you are planning to leave and if you want the most direct or scenic.

Less miles: AZ I-10 to NM I-25 to CO 350 to La Junta is 780 miles

AZ I-10, AZ I-17, AZ/NM I-40 to NM I-25 to CO 350 is 910 miles

Ourselves, if traveling in months other than winter, we would get to Durango, CO and take Hwy 160 east to I-25 at Walsenburg and Hwy 10 to La Junta. We don't like to drive interstates. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel