cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upper Peninsula

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer

On our quest to cover all 50 states as a family.

I was planning on taking the "red" route up to Duluth, but realized if I go the upper peninsula route, we can cross all of the Great Lakes off our list while we're at it.

I'm unfamiliar with Northern Michigan.
Do you foresee any problems with towing a big 5'er up that way? Or should I stick with the original "red" route?

By the end of this 52 day adventure, we'll have covered all 48 continental states together!

https://goo.gl/photos/o5c4dSfmZfZY8qdV9
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny
10 REPLIES 10

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the blue route. We avoid Chicago due to traffic at all costs.

The UP is great, open, scenic, and you could spend a month just there. Enjoy the trip.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
There is very little traffic in the upper peninsula but many paved 2 lane roads. It's beautiful. You should not have any trouble towing your rig. US 2 west after crossing the bridge into the upper peninsula is a popular route west.

I had not been to the UP in quite a few year until last year. I forgot how "empty" it is !

There are some beautiful beaches along US2 just west of the bridge. No overnight parking, but you should plan on stopping along the road and dipping your toes into Lake Michigan.

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Do the Blue route. We where in the UP two yrs ago and loved it!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
They even have high suspension bridges up there, just like in New York! 🙂

The bridge may be the highest point in that part of Michigan. Further west there are the Porcupine Mtns, but those are mostly for hiking, not driving.

And there are some good grades above Duluth. Consider driving NE along the shore of Lake Superior. All of the Lake shores are worth following, to the extent that the roads allow.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
X 2 on US2 and M28! Just was up there last week testing cars and trucks in the snow...

And as a bonus you get to cross the Mackinaw Bridge. Be sure to plan a visit to Mackinaw Island, the Soo Locks, and Taquamenon Falls while you're in the area.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

avan
Explorer
Explorer
You will have zero problems with any of the highways in the UP of MI. The UP is sort of like New York. They actually use semi tractors and trailers to deliver goods there as well garbage trucks, cement trucks and other large vehicles. I think you'll enjoy it and obviously will be surprised with the fact that you will find civilization there 🙂 🙂 🙂
www.putt10.net

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Take the Blue route. Skipping Chicago is worth it in itself. There is no problem with UP.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is very little traffic in the upper peninsula but many paved 2 lane roads. It's beautiful. You should not have any trouble towing your rig. US 2 west after crossing the bridge into the upper peninsula is a popular route west.

I myself would prefer a trip where I was not spending all my time on the road. It will get very very tiring. We have spent weeks in the upper peninsula and there is so much to see and do we could still spend more time there.

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Is my map picture in first post not showing up?
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

Kjackson
Explorer
Explorer
You will not have a problem I tow my 39ft 5th wheel all over the UP and you will have no problem finding a campground. US2 to Escanaba will get you to Lake Michigan then cut up to M28 for Lake Superior