cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US 395 in California

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a cross-country trip this Summer and US 395 is the focal point. We will visit friends in Palm Desert and Modesto. So the question is; Is there any compelling reason to travel US 395 from South northward or North to South. Since we'll be approaching CA from the Dakotas and Yellowstone the plan is to go to Reno, cross the Pass on I80 then CA99 to Modesto. Then backtrack to Reno and go South on US 395 to Palm Desert. Of course, if there is a compelling reason, we could do the reverse. Looking forward to your responses. Thanks
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS
16 REPLIES 16

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
U might consider Hwy 88 from Modesto to Gardnerville; scenic, lots of camping options, get gas in Gardnerville ( 70 cents less than CA )... Then down 395...Some great county & BLM camping & you could even enter Yosemite from the east for a day or so... Donโ€™t plan on getting fuel in Bridgeport or Lee Vining unless U own a gold mine... Have been down that route 10 times in last few months....

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A stunning highway! The Eastern Sierra. I like going south to north as the elevation increases, but no compelling reason. Take your time. See as much as you can.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad