cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US 550 Silverton to Grand Junction

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone towed US 550 recently? I have not been on that road in about 25 years or so and with the DW getting close to retirement we have been exploring different places to travel to. I see there are RV parks in Silverton but I am interested in the whole route as part of a grander trip.

Thanks.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
6 REPLIES 6

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful drive. Very nice 2 LANE hyway... BUT... u'll be on the outside(dropoff) lane in 2 spots nomatter which way you go because the road switches across the canyon. These areas, altho short, always give me the shivers...roadway...white line...canyon... DO NOT let the rite front tire off the edge!!!
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, when I went through before they were boring a tunnel that stopped traffic for a while. It is a beautiful drive and it will be nicer when I am not in a hurry to get anywhere. I am also considering the "turbo brake" for routes such as this.

We will look at the Ridgway State park for our travels through the area.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Drove w/5th wheel from Durango to Ouray in summer of 2011. I thought the road surface conditions were just fine at that time. My brakes got a tad warm, but it has beautiful scenery. I'm glad I did it at least once in my life.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
If you've been there before, then you know about the drop offs and lack of guardrails. They have been doing some repaving and reworking of the bridges above Ouray in the last few years, so it is a smoother road there. But otherwise the grades and such are the same as 25 years ago.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
That is a beautiful route. Take your time, and you should really enjoy yourself. Telluride/Ouray/Silverton/Durango area is one of the prettiest part of the state. We camped at Ridgeway State Park a few years ago, had a great time.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I did not tow that route but I drove it and the road was in great shape compared to 25 years ago except for a massive rockslide just south of Ouray. The road was reduced to one lane.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado