cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah Parks Itinerary

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
We're headed to Utah next Spring and I'm mapping out a route and would appreciate some advice on duration for each of the stops. In relevant part, starting in Las Vegas, the plan is to go (1) to Zion, then (2) Bryce Canyon, then (3) Capitol Reef, and then (4) Moab for Arches and Canyonland. At each stop, we like to go on hikes, do motor tours (on-road) and see the sights, do guided walks, and attend ranger talks at night. For hiking, we're both in our 60s, but 5-6 miles in the morning, and that same amount in the afternoon, or maybe even 10+ miles with a lunch stop in the middle (subject to the dog issue mentioned below) are all doable. I'm also into photography, so I like to spend time (often at sunrise or sunset) getting landscape pictures. Oh, and we will be traveling with our two little miniature dachshunds, AKA little yappy brat dogs, which means we really ought to get back around lunch and dinner time to deal with them.

I can't imagine less than a couple days at each stop and maybe 3-4 days at Moab. My question is whether I better plan on more at some or all of the stops. For those of you with similar kinds of preferred activities and experience at these locations, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1
19 REPLIES 19

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Adventure Caravans and read the itinerary for their Western Parks trip. They know best where to go and how long to stay. We took this tour several years ago.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
The shuttle system at Zion is superb. Takes all the hassle out of driving and parking.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
All the activities you want to do and a "couple of days" at each stop? Very tough. Zion, for example, means finding a parking place (maybe as far as Springdale) and riding a shuttle. Or driving time to get to the places of interest from where you might be staying.

And going back and forth for the dogs.

Our favorite is Bryce and the Queens Garden Trail...not long but steep. Hiking at Zion would be especially tough for you due to the parking / transportation / dog issue as the hikes are longer in duration.

And we like Cohab Canyon Hike in Capitol Reef.

You have picked some great spots and we have been to them all several times. Feel free to email or PM me for more info if you would like.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your activity level and interests are pretty close to ours when we first started to really explore Utah's National Parks. You are not allowing enough time in most places. All you are going to do is wet your appetite.

Two full days in Bryce will work. There is a major figure eight hike at the bottom of the canyon. You have to drive the canyon rim as well. There is another hike up canyon in Red Rocks State Park nearby. Almost as scenic but without the people. And don't forget Kodachrome Basin. Also, lots of hikes in Escalante National Monument.

We've spent a total of probably 10 days hiking Zion. I would think you can do the very best hikes in a total of 4-5 days.

We've been to Capital Reef 4-5 times. Once, we spent 12 days there hiking. Just an awesome place. 4-5 major hikes worth doing inside the Park. Then there are a bunch of canyon hikes on the back side of the Water Pocket Fold.

You can do the best of Arches in 3-4 days.

Canyonlands is a totally different matter. You can spend weeks hiking it. If you want to have your socks totally knocked off, look up the Great Panel in Horseshoe Canyon. This is near the place where the guy cut off his own arm. Hiking the Needles and Maze Districts were great.

Don't forget Natural Bridges. There is a beautiful long loop hike at the bottom of the canyon walking under enormous natural bridges. It is a single day park best accessed from Blanding.

PM me and we can talk more if you would like.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest more time at Zion. I would also consider a day trip down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon if the timing works out. I believe they didn't open until mid-May this year.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS