cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vax Passports

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

This post is intended as a heads-up to those heading north in the next while. If it is used to to comment on your particular beliefs..it will get taken down. Please try to respect the intent to our fellow travellers.

Vaccine Passports coming to BC and Quebec.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/343713/Restaurants-react-to-provincial-mandate-that-patrons-wil...

https://globalnews.ca/news/8133780/bc-proof-vaccination-program/

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
62 REPLIES 62

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:
noteven wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
Unlike British Columbia and Quebec, Ontario for some reason is reluctant to issue vaccine passports and appears to be waiting for federal government action. This probably won't happen during the midst of a federal election.:h

HERE is a link to a site that allows you to print out your vaccination status. It's the only option right now for Ontario. It pales in comparison to the official document and/or mobile phone app approach used in BC and QC.

Why do you want another goverment issued scanable "passport"

What is wrong with producing a physical record of your status to the person at the door?

It prints on a 8-1/2 by 11 inch piece of paper. Problems:
1. Cumbersome to carry (especially for a male)
2. Easily forged.

I guess I'm hoping (wishfully thinking?) for an official government document that can't be replicated. Why not? We have driver's licenses, provincial health insurance cards, etc. Covid is probably gonna be around for a long time, so IMHO, governments need to act ASAP.

We will get them, they are coming. Doug see's the writing on the wall but is trying to keep his head down during the Federal Election.

It's weird but depending on where I go I have to show government ID to prove I'm old enough to have a beer. Nobody complains about that except those under the age of majority.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Some off topic posts including reference responses have been deleted. Please stay on the Vax Passports topic.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
Unlike British Columbia and Quebec, Ontario for some reason is reluctant to issue vaccine passports and appears to be waiting for federal government action. This probably won't happen during the midst of a federal election.:h

HERE is a link to a site that allows you to print out your vaccination status. It's the only option right now for Ontario. It pales in comparison to the official document and/or mobile phone app approach used in BC and QC.

What is wrong with producing a physical record of your status to the person at the door?

It prints on a 8-1/2 by 11 inch piece of paper. Problems:
1. Cumbersome to carry (especially for a male)
2. Easily forged.

I guess I'm hoping (wishfully thinking?) for an official government document that can't be replicated. Why not? We have driver's licenses, provincial health insurance cards, etc. Covid is probably gonna be around for a long time, so IMHO, governments need to act ASAP.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
VE3ESN wrote:

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
rlw999 wrote:
noteven wrote:

Do I care if government requires I produce a government issue card with a chip or stripe that some private sports venue runs through a scanner for my “verification”? As a matter of fact, yes I do.

But do you carry a phone with you? Doesn't even have to be a smart phone, any phone at all. If you do, then the government already knows you're at that sports venue if they care enough about you to track you. And if it's an iPhone or Android, then Apple/Google also know everywhere you've been.

Same problem if you drive a modern car with celluar built-in (even if you don't subscribe to service, it's still going to ping cell towers). And the car's manufacturer can keep tabs on you too.

My comment was about the difference between a human being viewing a photo documnent and a paper document to verify both belong to the same person

vs

"Apps" and scanable "passports" being recorded by whoever

It had nothing to do with physical whereabouts.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer

Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
pianotuna wrote:
PackerBacker wrote:
The OP’s post is about vaccine passports in Canada, there is no HIPPA in Canada.

It is still illegal in Canada to share a patient's medical status and data with others, in most cases.

One exception is, for example, if you had advanced parkinsons disease. Then the doctor is required by law to let the government licensing office know, so that a mandatory driver's test can be administered. If you pass--you get to keep your license.

Another would be if the patient had a deadly disease such as Ebola.

yes but the tricky part is a shot is not a medical record. we have had "needle passports" since long before I was a child. you had to show them to the schools, you have to show them when going to some countries and so on. the major difference is that this "shot" is a preventitive nd not a sickness, so it is not concidered a "medical record" as a lot of people think. But the sticky part is, that there is a clause in the constitution that says you cannot force a medical treatment on some one and the lawyers and such need to decide if this is a medical treatment or as I said just a preventitive. either way this is why the digital pasoports are coming out as they are not forcing any treatment or denying essential services, only requiring you to have your shots for optional activities.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
PackerBacker wrote:
The OP’s post is about vaccine passports in Canada, there is no HIPPA in Canada.

It is still illegal in Canada to share a patient's medical status and data with others, in most cases.

One exception is, for example, if you had advanced parkinsons disease. Then the doctor is required by law to let the government licensing office know, so that a mandatory driver's test can be administered. If you pass--you get to keep your license.

Another would be if the patient had a deadly disease such as Ebola.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is nothing new. It was not that long ago when we required shots for one thing or another in order to travel to all kinds of countries.

We did not complain. We did not carry on about evil conspiracy theories.

Get used to it. Covid is here to stay for quite some time. If we want to travel we will need more than a passport.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Can US citizens get a card in advance to make entry and travel easier?
Count me in.

Community Alumni
Not applicable

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
honestly. I'm torn. I am also vaccinated. i got vaccinated so i wouldn't have to worry about spreading , or contracting covid. THAT was my motivation. I don't care if a person takes it or not. That was my reason for taking it.

However. Now it appears I have wasted my time. Now it is been determined that you have the same risk vaccinated or not. so why take it.

You're much better off being vaccinated:

CDC study shows unvaccinated people are 29 times more likely to be hospitalized with Covid...The new study also found that unvaccinated people were nearly five times more likely to be infected with Covid than people who got the shots.

As for vac passports. Unless the US privacy (HIPPA) laws have been changed. It is unlawful for a person to ask, or require a person to provide any health records, for any reason. ANY of my health records. As far as I know. The HIPPA law has NOT been changed.

That's a common misconception, HIPAA doesn't prevent a business from asking about your vacination status, it only regulates health care providers.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/01/1023509678/vaccination-status-questions-do-not-violate-hipaa-consumer...

From that article: I mean, you hit on the biggest one, which is that people just generally think that HIPAA protects all health information at any time for any purpose whatsoever, no matter who is involved. And that's absolutely not true. It does not cover restaurants. It does not cover stores. It does not cover your employer. And it doesn't cover you personally.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
honestly. I'm torn. I am also vaccinated. i got vaccinated so i wouldn't have to worry about spreading , or contracting covid. THAT was my motivation. I don't care if a person takes it or not. That was my reason for taking it.

However. Now it appears I have wasted my time. Now it is been determined that you have the same risk vaccinated or not. so why take it.

As for vac passports. Unless the US privacy (HIPPA) laws have been changed. It is unlawful for a person to ask, or require a person to provide any health records, for any reason. ANY of my health records. As far as I know. The HIPPA law has NOT been changed.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

Do I care if government requires I produce a government issue card with a chip or stripe that some private sports venue runs through a scanner for my “verification”? As a matter of fact, yes I do.

But do you carry a phone with you? Doesn't even have to be a smart phone, any phone at all. If you do, then the government already knows you're at that sports venue if they care enough about you to track you. And if it's an iPhone or Android, then Apple/Google also know everywhere you've been.

Same problem if you drive a modern car with celluar built-in (even if you don't subscribe to service, it's still going to ping cell towers). And the car's manufacturer can keep tabs on you too.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Do I care if someone looks at this info with their eyes and lets me in the hockey game? No I don’t care.

Agree. Good comparison.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]