cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waterton & Lake Louise early May.????

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
We are thinking about making a late Spring trip to the Canadian Rockies. We are currently thinking about arriving at Waterton Lakes Townsite campground around May 1st and then Lake Louise Hard-sided around May 5th to May 10th this is outside the time frame in which the parks take reservations.

My questions whatโ€™s the possibility of obtaining a first come first serve campsite this time a year?

Is this too early to visit? We like to see the snow on the mountains. I assume that the roads and parking lots will be clear of snow.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
27 REPLIES 27

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
TenOC wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I would extend your trip to the north along the Icefields highway to Jasper.

I want to go to Jasper and Pocahontas Campground if it is open.

no such thing anymore it is now called "Miette Campground" and here is

why
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
enblethen wrote:
Whistlers (?) campground at Jasper has been fully rebuilt. Lots of sites.

its going to need a few decades before its as nice as it was. they pretty much clear cut it so there are no trees for privacy anymore. but you are right you can reserve a site there from May 3rd on.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
TenOC wrote:
We are thinking about making a late Spring trip to the Canadian Rockies. We are currently thinking about arriving at Waterton Lakes Townsite campground around May 1st and then Lake Louise Hard-sided around May 5th to May 10th this is outside the time frame in which the parks take reservations.

My questions whatโ€™s the possibility of obtaining a first come first serve campsite this time a year?

Is this too early to visit? We like to see the snow on the mountains. I assume that the roads and parking lots will be clear of snow.

that time of year is very good. little tip make sure you fill your propain tanks after you leave waterton, so there full for lake louise. I love early spring camping in the mountian just be prepared for any kind of weather, but generaly in may it should be getting up to about 55 degrees and night time down to about 30.

Nice weather for hiking and campfires if you ask me.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Whistlers (?) campground at Jasper has been fully rebuilt. Lots of sites.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few picture that I captured off of Hwy Cams around Southeastern BC and Alberta over the last few years.
Weather is a strange beast especially in the a mountains. You should always be aware of what is happening with the weather and check weather reports when traveling at least once a day of the towns that you will be traveling that day.
Never take the weather for granted.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
TenOC wrote:

Waterton national park? On May fifth????. In my opinion no problem. Last week we showed up in middle of june hoping for a site and got right in. We were there for a week and had to move a couple times but had no problem. Great park. Lots of hiking and history. Do the hump. Welcome to Canada and enjoy your stay. Here are a few pics. Great park.

Thats the hump. Hike it. Its not to bad. (don't worry the trail only goes half way up)

Thats the USA in the distance behind us. Picture taken from the hump.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:

I want to go to Jasper and Pocahontas Campground if it is open.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would go on your schedule but prepared for some nasty weather.
Spring could be a surprise on both ends of the weather scale.
Spring may provide you with great scenery.
Yes, some campgrounds may not be fully open.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
@ Soup:W

Lol. Not sure that anyone outside of Canada knows what a toque is! But I've been wrong before.....:)

Lucky I never wrote down beleclava :W
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
@ Soup

Lol. Not sure that anyone outside of Canada knows what a toque is! But I've been wrong before.....:)
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Having travelled to the area in May, I would move the trip to mid to late June. School isn't out until the end of June in Canada.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Reservations for Parks Canada donโ€™t open until mid March. They are bringing on line a new reservation systemโ€ฆ. And we all know how good reservations systems work especially the โ€œnewโ€ ones.
Snow in the Mountainsโ€ฆ
I have kids in Calgary. I sat in one of their front rooms on June 6th not to many years ago looking at 6 inches of fresh snow on the lawn furniture.
Heck I live in the Kootenays, we had fresh snow on the mountain tops here on the Thursday before July 1st long weekend last year.
Now you are in Alberta, however for reference about snowโ€ฆ
There is a reason why every mountain pass and most Hwys in BC have a winter tire requirement until April 30th every year.
Winter tires BC

Bring a toque and enjoy your trip. :B

Soup.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing snow in the mountains in that area will definitely not be a problem in May. At those elevations, there will be snow higher up in July/August. Matter of fact, it just might snow where you are anyway! Weather in the Rockies is a guess on the best of days.

From Parks Canada. I suggest you call them........... "All spots on the Townsite Campground can be reserved by visiting the Parks Canada Reservation Service website or phone the toll-free number (within North America) at 1-877-737-3783 (1-877-RESERVE) (8am to 6pm local park time)."
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)