cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We would like to get off the interstate, but......

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
How do we know which roads, or routes are able to handle RV's?
Proud father of a US Marine
31 REPLIES 31

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
In the east, one has to be aware of low overpasses more than anything else, especially on older TWO lane state roads- a lot of roads around here are holdovers from the 1920s and 1930, with curved arch railroad overpasses that may be 14' at the center, but sometimes are barely 10' at the right edge.

Like this one, near my home town.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

svcheerio
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for the mountain directory! I wouldn't plan a trip nor leave home without it!!
๐Ÿ™‚He,Me and the Dog
1997 Winnebago Brave
2005 Jeep Wrangler
2 Happy Campers
1 Happy Dog

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think anybody mentioned the Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Flying J or Pilot have trucker atlas that shows routes high lighted that are safe for big rigs. It also has charts for each state that lists hight restriction locations and other restricted locations. I always check my non interstate routes with this atlas.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to Google Earth and look at the roads from above. Then if an area causes you concern, go to the street view and look at it from the driver's seat.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Again, we can never find a place large enough for our 38 ft 5th wheel and truck. We have only found one rest area on the US routes we have taken. Most fuel stations are way too small to accommodate us. Not every shopping area will allow you to utilize their parking. At least on the interstate, if we need a bathroom break we can find a place to stop.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned before, just a little foresight will settle your fears. You don't have to plan your route exactly but you can look at any one of the methods described here and in minutes you can tell if there is cause for concern on any of your POTENTIAL routes. And besides- you need a little excitement in your life.

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
Purchase a Motorcarrier's map at any truck stop. That is all we have used for 12 years and we love to travel the back roads. 36 foot 5th wheel
Dick OK

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are serious about getting off interstates in Oregon, consider a Discovery trail ๐Ÿ™‚

http://www.oohva.org/

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
jnharley wrote:
Our issue with US routes and state roads is the lack of places to pull off even for a bathroom break. We have a terrible time finding a place large enough to pull off. Shoulders are narrow and there usually are no truck stops or rest areas. We do drive on "red" routes when it is the most expedient way to go but we usually stick to interstates so we can at least take a bathroom break Maybe it is better in some parts of the country but not in the East.

Took a Two Lane Trip last year, but without the trailer. We decided to forego the Interstate as much as possible on a trip from Colorado to northern Indiana. We took US34 east from Loveland CO and continued east thru Akron, Wray, and Yuma CO. Along the way were some rest stops complete with restrooms.

Dropping down into Kansas to take US 36 border to border eastbound, we found a similar situation, with some rest stops along the way, and towns interspersed about 30 or so miles apart, also good locations for the occasional pit stop. Most of those small towns have a town park with some facilities. Some nicer than others.

As a sidebar, by getting off the Interstate and taking this route, we were able to see the "Geographic Center of the Contiguous USA", which is near Smiths Center KS. Interesting diversion, a place to get out, stretch the legs, walk the dog, etc.

Continuing eastbound on US36 from St Joseph MO to Hannibal MO, we again encountered the occasional rest stop. Not as frequent as in Kansas, but they were there nonetheless. Made for a interesting drive across those 2 states, and knowing what I know now, I'd do it again with the trailer, but would sure take my time.

Alas, once we reached Hannibal, we were back to Interstates for a bit, til we picked up US24 in Illinois and took that all the way across Illinois and Indiana. LOTS of little towns along the way for stops...and for slowing down as well. Got to see a goodly portion of America's Breadbasket with that trip ! !
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bathroom breaks and lunchs are very easily accommodated in a church, fire,station or shopping plaza parking lot.

Nope, not always in this neck of the woods. Some are barely big enough to accommodate pick up trucks. It's just not something I would count on up here. I also think it's a bad idea to put a large rig at a fire station, potentially blocking emergency equipment's path.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the east you never have to drive more than 20 miles or so between towns. Bathroom breaks and lunchs are very easily accommodated in a church, fire,station or shopping plaza parking lot.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Our issue with US routes and state roads is the lack of places to pull off even for a bathroom break. We have a terrible time finding a place large enough to pull off. Shoulders are narrow and there usually are no truck stops or rest areas. We do drive on "red" routes when it is the most expedient way to go but we usually stick to interstates so we can at least take a bathroom break Maybe it is better in some parts of the country but not in the East.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Allstays Camp & RV ap

We use this ap all the time...it will show steep grades that you might want to avoid depending on what you are driving.
You can filter in low bridges or overpasses and lots of other things.

I love it for our reconditioned Ipad:B