cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weapon storage before entering Canada

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 17 state CCW and usually travel with a weapon in the TT. Plan on taking a cross country trip next summer and at some point (probably Vancouver) crossing into Canada. I know I can't carry a weapon into Canada. Is there anywhere where you can rent a storage locker or something similar for a weekly fee to store a weapon before entering Canada? Has anyone ever done this or heard of it?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand
22 REPLIES 22

Community Alumni
Not applicable
okgc wrote:
scrapnread wrote:

Actually, we are not required to license guns or ourselves. Either way, we are not planning to drive through there for at least a year, so I am just doing research right now.

We have crossed the US-Canadian border several times with our MH. I can only remember once when a customs officer did not enter our MH.

We have however never had our MH actually searched more than checking the fridge.
(knock knock on wood)

No need to knock on wood if you have nothing to hide.

Throughout the summer season we cross 2-3 times a week. We use Nexus cards but even with those we sometimes get 'audited' with a complete search; sometimes with the rv and sometimes without. They check a random number of vehicles. The border agents on both sides will go through everything then just send us on our way.

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
scrapnread wrote:

Actually, we are not required to license guns or ourselves. Either way, we are not planning to drive through there for at least a year, so I am just doing research right now.

We have crossed the US-Canadian border several times with our MH. I can only remember once when a customs officer did not enter our MH.

We have however never had our MH actually searched more than checking the fridge.
(knock knock on wood)
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
scrapnread wrote:
I have never driven through Canada and the last time I crossed the border was more than 20 years ago. We had dinner on the Canada side of Niagara Falls. So my question is serious. Do the vehicles and rvs get searched when you cross the border on your way to Alaska?

I know you are licensed. All that info pops up on Border computer screens, going either direction. You will get asked where's your gun. If you have it and haven't declared until that moment because you 'forgot' you had it, you will get turned back from Canada and maybe a fine. If you don't remember and they search and recover...bend over and kiss your bum good-bye..and your bank account and maybe your RV. And as has been pointed out..you will not be welcome into Canada ever again.

Now, I know that US authorities are as stringent as their CDN counter-parts, but I don't know what they do with a US citizen that is re entering and neglects to declare their weapon.

Gary Haupt

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
scrapnread wrote:
I have never driven through Canada and the last time I crossed the border was more than 20 years ago. We had dinner on the Canada side of Niagara Falls. So my question is serious. Do the vehicles and rvs get searched when you cross the border on your way to Alaska?

I know you are licensed. All that info pops up on Border computer screens, going either direction. You will get asked where's your gun. If you have it and haven't declared until that moment because you 'forgot' you had it, you will get turned back from Canada and maybe a fine. If you don't remember and they search and recover...bend over and kiss your bum good-bye..and your bank account and maybe your RV. And as has been pointed out..you will not be welcome into Canada ever again.

Now, I know that US authorities are as stringent as their CDN counter-parts, but I don't know what they do with a US citizen that is re entering and neglects to declare their weapon.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
They will ask, every time, if you have firearms aboard. If you think you can lie, or fib, to a trained border agent, good luck. And yes a significant # of RV's and cars get searched, with dogs....dogs that can sniff gun oil, gun powder residue, etc. And if you are apprehended with a gun you didn't declare, you will NEVER travel through Canada. Fines and confiscation of the firearm are automatic and jail time is a possibility. Just stick with a shotgun, declare it and do the proper forms and pay the $50 fee. I cross several times each year from WA to BC and most times there are vehicles being inspected. Same coming back to the US.

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea. You would first need to apply for a permit to dig the hole.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Larry37
Explorer
Explorer
Bank safe deposit box. Might have to open a savings account.
Zip lock bag and dig a hole in woods near crossing

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
If you pay to store it at a licensed firearms dealer, when you pick it up you might have to complete the same federal paperwork as if you were buying the gun. Be careful, and check on that before you store!

You will. I contacted several dealers in Washington a real PIA to store at a dealer most have quit storing, they told me wasn't worth all the trouble. That is why I crossed at Sumas give'em $10 and sign a receipt, on return present reciept and go. It is an easy crossing and you miss the heavy traffic.
Also, remember, be careful Oregon or Washington do not recognize a California CCW.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

P_Kennedy
Explorer
Explorer
A small suggestion please ask if you can store your "firearm" at a place before the crossing into Canada and remove all parts and ammunition. CCw's are not recognized in Canada as the firearms are considered restricted with defined destinations ie; home to certified range. Again just a suggestion.
2007 Triple E 305RL
2007 Dodge C&C 9' Falcan Deck

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
If you pay to store it at a licensed firearms dealer, when you pick it up you might have to complete the same federal paperwork as if you were buying the gun. Be careful, and check on that before you store!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There should be several gun dealers in and around Bellingham. There is also an RV park near the airport just off I5 that is pretty decent.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Drop it off here, I'll store it for you. FREE

PM me for details
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was thinking about the same issue, one ting I thought of was a self store locker. You could rent one for a couple months. Just don't say what's you plan to put in it for security reasons.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper