cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter is a comin

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the rig home from Summer camp yesterday. Went past three BC provincial campgrounds all closed up already for winter.
Just finished cleaning ours out and washed the outside top to bottom. When it dries I will put the cover on and then wait for the snow to fall.

How's everyone's else's camping this fall going?

Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks
31 REPLIES 31

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
rickeoni wrote:
Camping season has just begun, all the weekend warriors are onto other interests and the good camping is here. A little rain never stopped me from enjoying outdoor activities. I tend to summerize my trailer and it gets sparse duty in July and August.

Yeah, you are right in a lot of respects. We actually planned on going camping with friends this weekend and the weather report up to a couple of days ago was pretty ugly so we cancelled and winterized/covered the trailer yesterday. Now the weather has turned out great and we are kicking ourselves somewhat.

The other thing that has taken the wind out of our sails is that we had to put our beloved 13 year old yellow lab down a couple of weeks ago. This has affected us much more than we ever imagined, but we will be back at it next year once we have had some time to heal.

At least we got the trailer put away and covered up while everything was clean and dry.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Camping season has just begun, all the weekend warriors are onto other interests and the good camping is here. A little rain never stopped me from enjoying outdoor activities. I tend to summerize my trailer and it gets sparse duty in July and August.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
I don't understand this talk about snow and winterizing. :?

Here at the southwest corner of BC we've been having lovely sunny and warm T-shirt weather lately. It's going up to about 20C (68F) today. Maybe another month or more of good camping weather left unless the monsoon season arrives. Gonna wash the 'ol RV today and give it a wax job. Then I need to finish repacking 3 more bearings. Then if I have time, gotta get the riding mower out and cut the grass - been growing like crazy lately. Winterizing? Not here...

The weather this winter could be very different that the past. El nino 2015/2016 is shaping up to be the biggest on record. NOAA story here. Northern and western US and where we are in BC could be much warmer than normal. However, some areas of the US can expect to be colder and have more precip. than normal.

Agreed, the weather has been great here but it looks like the trend is coming to an end after today. It will still be quite warm but it looks like it will be plenty wet too. I am winterizing and covering ours this afternoon before the wet weather hits ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't understand this talk about snow and winterizing. :?

Here at the southwest corner of BC we've been having lovely sunny and warm T-shirt weather lately. It's going up to about 20C (68F) today. Maybe another month or more of good camping weather left unless the monsoon season arrives. Gonna wash the 'ol RV today and give it a wax job. Then I need to finish repacking 3 more bearings. Then if I have time, gotta get the riding mower out and cut the grass - been growing like crazy lately. Winterizing? Not here...

The weather this winter could be very different that the past. El nino 2015/2016 is shaping up to be the biggest on record. NOAA story here. Northern and western US and where we are in BC could be much warmer than normal. However, some areas of the US can expect to be colder and have more precip. than normal.

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
We just camped this Thanksgiving long weekend at Sandbanks here in Ontario. On Friday it was cool during the day (10 Celsius / 50 Fahrenheit) and at night it was pretty cold (3 Celsius / 37.4 Fahrenheit). Then on Saturday it got a lot warmer, and then Sunday it was around 18 Celsius / 64.4 Fahrenheit, and then on Monday it was 22 Celsius / 71.6 Fahrenheit! We were in shorts and t shirts on Sunday and Monday. The weather was unseasonably warm all weekend and there was zero rain. We love the cool weather but the warmer temperatures were definitely welcome since we're in a pop-up. That's it for us for the season though as the majority of Ontario parks are closed up for the year now and for the few that are open in the winter our pop-up just doesn't cut it in the dead of winter. We'll be back camping in May 2016.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is nice this morning. However, we have the kids coming over for Thanksgiving later on so we may have to put the heater on for the first time! They feel the cold a lot more than we do.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Woke in Vancouver to a cleared sky. hmmm..maybe the storms have ended? I leave here today, Sunday Oct 11th, heading east and the Fraser Valley and Canyon colours can be breathtaking, this time of year.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
On my trip to AK and back, I drove in snow in September in BC and AB. According to my travel job experience, if I drove in snow in Sept, that meant a good strong snow winter for that province. Keep me informed on this you who live over there about winter 2015 - 2016, please.

FWIW I started a 10 day trek back home on Sept 28.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
At the seasonal I winterized the camper last Saturday and left Sunday. The lows were 27F at night already. The campground had shut the water off Monday and blew out there lines.

I helped them move the docks so they would not be damaged by ice the week before.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
crosscheck wrote:
Soup,

Almost time to get the boards out and scrape the rust off the edges. Hope we don't have as warm a winter as last year. Probably had only 10 powder days all season.

After 20 years in a tent, ya my DIL is pretty happy to have her first truck and TC on their first camping week end up Wap Lake FSR.

Son Shane hiking up to the lookout the next day(Sept 27) . No matter how hard we tried, like his daddy, following the TC route.

Ruudie chillin out on the summit of Joss Mt. Winter is his favorite season for sure.

Come on Frosty, bring it on!,

Dave

Ya I hear ya, last weekend we put the 5er to bed and this weekend we are bringing the Snowmobiles out of summer hibernation ....... Hope for more snow this year than last
Soup.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
How serious are the rules about winter tires or chains from the first of October? I can't be buying a second set of motorhome tires but I will look for chains.

We had a quarter inch of snow this morning but it was gone before I got outside. High of 5 today. Usually no snow that stays until the end of October.

People get used to cold just like they get used to heat. Given a choice between too hot and too cold, I would take too cold because it's easy to put a coat on and easier to heat a building than to cool it.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Soup,

Almost time to get the boards out and scrape the rust off the edges. Hope we don't have as warm a winter as last year. Probably had only 10 powder days all season.

After 20 years in a tent, ya my DIL is pretty happy to have her first truck and TC on their first camping week end up Wap Lake FSR.

Son Shane hiking up to the lookout the next day(Sept 27) . No matter how hard we tried, like his daddy, following the TC route.

Ruudie chillin out on the summit of Joss Mt. Winter is his favorite season for sure.

Come on Frosty, bring it on!,

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
Pulled the rig home from Summer camp yesterday. Went past three BC provincial campgrounds all closed up already for winter.

We live an hour east of the Alaska highway mile zero. The high today was 20C (room temperature) and the low tonight will be well above freezing. Expecting frost at night over the weekend. We'll have to dig our potatoes before the trip or risk losing them to frost, though it usually doesn't seriously freeze until the end of October.

Well we had weather in the low to mid 20's with sun all week, but isn't it snowing up your way today ( grin)

Soup.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend was our last trip of the season... We had wonderful weather! This weekend: winterizing (and rainy).
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500