cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yosemite area camping end March-too snowy? campsites? tips?

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite area camping end March - too snowy? campsite recommendations? any other tips?

Hi all - title say it all

We are thinking of going to Yosemite and area end of March. Camping in a 4x4 pop up truck camper that does have propane heat. (so one self contained 20’ vehicle)

I know the weather can vary a lot… and we may be limited as to where we can go, due to weather, but any general advice about that time of year?

and campsite recommendations inside or just outside Yosemite?

I know it can be next to impossible to reserve ahead a site (we have tried in the past and never get a site when the ‘window’ opens.)

but also sometimes people get lucky just showing up at campsites and seeing if there are any openings.

Thanks for any and all tips.

J.
11 REPLIES 11

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yet another blog post about Yosemite in March -- lots of photos:

March 2015
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We often go in March -- it is wonderful. A little snow here and there -- dress warmly, carry chains, and enjoy!!

Yosemite in March
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course the Park is open all year and so are some of campgrounds. The Valley in winter is cold and dark. There is little sunlight. There is cold air drainage and plenty of frost. It is okay to visit for a day.

I like camping outside the Valley. The off season is the only smart time to visit the Park.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite valley is about 4000 feet with generally minimal snow accumulation. Yes you can get a big storm that takes a bit to melt and may close the roads until plowed or melt. No hookups in the valley so you need to review your 12v system and charging method.

Otherwise I believe there are a few RV camping spots along CA140 if you want to plug in and then drive into the valley during the day.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The weather is mild in Yosemite unless you hit a winter storm.
March is a great time. Find a campground that does not take reservations. They always have vacancies. I went in late Oct. We stayed away from the Valley except for one day and had a great time. We camped outside the Valley.

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Check to see if the park is even open then. I doubt it.

Bill

Yosemite is open all year.
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Upper pines in Yosemite valley will be open, and you probably don't even need reservations that time of year. I've been going in January or February the last few years and it's great. Cold obviously, but beautiful and so different than the summer madhouse.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Our very first RV trip was to Yosemite in the last week of March. We did get snowed. One house battery died from the cold so we left a day early by way of Merced, as it was the only road open.

Still, it was a great trip.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I had a reservation for April 14th this year but cancelled do to cold temperatures and snow so March to me is not good either
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless things have changed the park will be at least partially open. Tioga Pass will still be snowed in so no Tuolumne Meadows access. I've camped in the snow at Upper Pine CG. You need to check which campgrounds are open but you should find a spot in the valley. Trails may be snowed in too. There is a downhill ski site up at Glacier Point, IIRC it's called Badger Pass, so that will be open and there are cross country skiing sites around the park. That's a good place to learn how and you can rent gear there and take classes. I also took a snow survival class there which was very informative and fun.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check to see if the park is even open then. I doubt it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.