cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your customs experiences re-entering the US from Canada?

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
Have they confiscated or assessed duties on stuff you've brought back?
Craig
63 REPLIES 63

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Craig95005 wrote:
Have they confiscated or assessed duties on stuff you've brought back?
Tomatoes once - I ate one, plus cut off green onion tops - we kept the rest. US regulation came in that morning.

Several times US checked the refer.

Leaving Victoria once we watched from the ferry as many agents carried armloads of liquor from a RV. I imagine that was a unhappy camper.

We still talk about one Victoria entry - I was waved through in the MH, DW in the car was questioned for 30 minutes, no destination, no reservations, no luggage over and over and over. Always the same response - I'm with that MH you just let through. We later decided he must have been a trainee...

Leaving Skagway we had a CBP stand in the door entry so that she could see both of us while asking her questions. At the same time there was a train load of cruisers from the ships. They were in Canada and not allowed off the train - they just went back to the US, likely no customs.

ie Never had any problems crossing in either direction.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
If you are a US citizen, you don't have to answer any questions or consent to any searches. Sure, they'll detain you, but eventually they have to let you go. Don't unlock your phones for them either.

This statement is very inaccurate if followed literally, will get someone in a lot of trouble.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
NMDriver2 wrote:
obgraham wrote:
sgip2000 wrote:
If you are a US citizen, you don't have to answer any questions or consent to any searches. Sure, they'll detain you, but eventually they have to let you go. Don't unlock your phones for them either.
Good luck with that approach. How many baloney sandwiches in a row can you eat?

Failing to stand up for your rights is how you loose them.

You cannot be legally detained for more than 20 minutes without cause if you are a US Citizen. Failure to answer their questions is not a legal cause. You do not loose your rights being near the border. You have the right to remain silent and are protected from unreasonable search. The Border Patrol would like you to believe they can strip search you without cause but they cannot. They will try to intimidate you if you let them. Know your rights. Read the ACLU web site on this subject.link

Your link specifically says that these standards do not apply when actually crossing the border at a customs and immigration post. They (customs and immigrations officers) do have a right to search you and your belongings, and I think detain you more or less indefinitely if you don't cooperate.

I've never had any real trouble going either way across the Canadian border. I have had my vehicle searched (fairly quickly) and have once or twice had to hand over the forbidden vegetable of the week. Being forthright and courteous goes a long way towards a smooth crossing. Being belligerent and demanding all the rights you have (and maybe actually don't have) tends to have the opposite effect, I would imagine.

DrewE, your information is accurate and of good counsel.

I remember just such a belligerent and un-cooperative individual who attempted a speedy re-entry into the USA from Canada. Unlike 99.9% of the travelers who answer standard questions without an 'attitude' and continue on their journey within a reasonable time, the subject I remember brought all kinds of unnecessary attention to himself by demanding' his rights' and demanding to be 'released' without giving answers to standard questions.

By bringing 'attention' to himself, he generated a more intrusive search of his person and his belongings. That more intrusive search located a hidden magnetic box containing white pills.

Unknown to him, there had been several incidents of travelers stopping at the duty free on the Canadian side of the border, and while shopping inside 'someone' attached a magnetic box to their rear bumper containing methamphetamine pills. This activity was happening and allowed unsuspecting travelers to take the risk of crossing the border with illegal narcotics, and later being relieved of those narcotics at their first stop once in the USA.

Because the belligerent individual would NOT answer standard questions like a 'reasonable' person would have done, it was ultimately decided by a CPB supervisor that this individual was attempting to hide something. He was arrested and taken to jail, his vehicle and belongings were seized, and he eventually was found guilty in a federal court of crossing the border with a controlled substance. This was a felony conviction.

In hindsight, had this person co-operated with authorities and answered standard questions without the 'attitude' filled with belligerence, he would most likely have not generated the intrusive search at the border and caused himself life changing difficulty.

It was this person's choice to act the way he did at the border. It was, by far, not the normal reaction from traveling public. Continuing with this type of non-cooperative attitude at the border is just asking for problems.

Lakeside

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Came back through a quiet checkpoint south of Creston, BC last year. No one in line when we got there. We had everything we had purchased in a bag in front with us, along with the receipts. We had all the fruits and veggies in a basket which we showed to the border agent and he pulled out what wasn't supposed to cross the border. Maybe took us three or four minutes. Just tried to make their job as easy as possible.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:

Or just sit there until they break your window glass and drag you from the vehicle. Great fun!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We crossed from Point Edward into Michigan in June and only talked to the customs agent for about 1 minute. He was very professional and courteous.
3 years ago we crossed Canada into Montana near Roosville. The agent apologized when he informed us that he had to confiscate our Canadian vegetables. I asked about the whiskey that I bought in Canada and he said that if I stuck around for a couple of hours he would help me sample it. I declined because it was 8:00am and a little to early to have a few.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Windsor from Detroit last Sunday. Used the tunnel there and Ambassador bridge home. We had an hour wait IN the tunnel and 1.5 hr. waiting to return to Detroit. We were in a car and had no delays on either side but on return noticed that many vehicles were sent to be searched more. There were a couple class As that never moved the whole tie we were there in line.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Just crossed Peace Arch from Vancouver to Blaine. US Border Patrol was conducting random interviews and searches of cars waiting in line. Sounds like a smart move. We got through with no search driving just our truck.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
They confiscated my illegal tomatoes!! (Seriously)

Just came back yesterday (Aug. 11th)from PEI. They confiscated my lemon and lime that were already cut............Geezzzzzz!

I guess the agent had a Corona but no lime!

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
We have finished our border crossings in Lubec, ME. Both sides we quick, efficient and professional.

As others have stated, the dog was fine, they asked about rabies vaccinations and the paperwork, but never reviewed the paperwork. I just said it was in my passport next to my "yellow card" vaccination record. Might as well keep it all together.

On the Canada side, an officer kindly reviewed my firearms temporary import permit and answered my dumb questions without laughing. The only gray area is over hollow point bullets designed for hunting. Based on his reading of the regs he thinks they are OK, and would allow them in. He suggested and gave me the numbers for other border crossings, since they may have another view. He said to call ahead and be sure. This consumed about 20 minutes of his time, and once again it is always nice to run into a professional.

On the US side they filled out some 4457's for the guns. Once again they were pros, came out to the truck and checked the serial numbers. Then ran the numbers against the stolen database, and me against felonies. About 10 minutes, almost beat my wife back to the truck. She had to buy some airmail stamps at the Post Office next door. Gave the guys in uniform a chuckle, asked if I needed a 4457 for the dog?

In all they all did their jobs, like pros.

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
Crossed into Alaska yesterday. About a dozen rv's in front of me and another five or so behind me. They all got inspected. I got waved thru.
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I never worry about the odd banana or meat they grab at the border. Just give it up.
It makes the agent's job easier, when he/she goes to the supervisor at the end of the shift and says "look, I grabbed a lime, 2 bananas and a bag of dog food -- keeping America safe!"

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Just a Lime for my V&T, it even had a California Farm's sticker on it. But truthfully it was purchased in CAN and DW told them about it. They had to take it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
And the dog will travel with us on all crossings, I hope her papers are also in order.

Wish me luck!

When we went with our dogs, our vet recommended a statement of health for each, which he provided, even though he knew and the Canadian web site listing border crossing regs didn't state you need it. Our vet's experience was that all it takes is one border crossing agent to ask for it because he decides to and if you don't have it, it'll ruin your whole trip. Well we had it along with their rabies and vaccination history docs, and we were only asked if they were current on their rabies, but never asked to produce proof.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Week after next, we will be in Lubec, ME for a week and I will give both sides a couple of bonus chances to "put us to the question". Since I have some questions about firearms and ammo for Canada (hunting trip next year and AK trip) I should get some attention. Have things changed since 1976? I'll ask the US side to do a couple of 4457's, so all and all it may be an adventure! And the dog will travel with us on all crossings, I hope her papers are also in order.

Wish me luck!