cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2023 Apple Crop "Pick-your-own" season

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the extreme cold in February plus the late frost in May, apple farms are reporting 50-100% crop losses for the year. Due to this many are cancelling "pick-your-own" activities for this fall. The majority of what are called "stone fruits" such as cherries, peaches, apples, etc., did not survive. The berry crops-blueberries, strawberries, raspberries & blackberries-survived fine as did the majority of vegetable crops. Apples will still be available but not anywhere near the usual quantities.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
3 REPLIES 3

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Stone fruit are botanically known as a drupe w a center stone and a single seed inside; apples are botanically known as pomes and have many seeds surrounded by flesh from only the rose family.

The farm person lumped them all together. I'm sure she knew the difference but the message was the same.

That may be true for New England area

I was referring to the New England area but probably should have specified. Y'all can't read my mind LOL???? Also in my mind (and taste buds) the only apples worth eating are grown in New England, NY and PA. Have tried them from all over and they just aren't the same.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
Due to the extreme cold in February plus the late frost in May, apple farms are reporting 50-100% crop losses for the year. Due to this many are cancelling "pick-your-own" activities for this fall. The majority of what are called "stone fruits" such as cherries, peaches, apples, etc., did not survive. The berry crops-blueberries, strawberries, raspberries & blackberries-survived fine as did the majority of vegetable crops. Apples will still be available but not anywhere near the usual quantities.

Stone fruit are botanically known as a drupe w a center stone and a single seed inside; apples are botanically known as pomes and have many seeds surrounded by flesh from only the rose family.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
That may be true for New England area, but there are no signs of a huge drop off for the US as a whole.