cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3 stops to Fort Myers Beach

Misssmb
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! I am still trying to figure out where to stop. We are leaving from Bethlehem, PA and will go 81 and plan on stopping around the Ft. Chiswell area for our first stop. Then where to go to next? Savannah maybe? We are leaving on a Friday and don't have reservations until Monday in Ft. Myers. Any good ideas or suggestion of campgrounds that perhaps are close to a town or a have a restaurant. Last year we stayed at St. Mary's KOA and that was very nice but we only stopped 2 nights then and went down 95 to Florida.
10 REPLIES 10

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Misssmb wrote:
Oh and what is the closest rv park to town in Savannah? Thanks!

If you are going to go that way...we stay at Hardeeville-Thomas RV Park in Hardeeville,SC...it is right off of rt 17 and it is 10 minutes from the waterfront in Savannah...big open sites
If you go to Savannah....for lunch go to Mrs Wilkes Boarding house for lunch on 109 West Jones...only open Mon-Fri for lunch from 11 am to 2 pm..and only takes cash......excellent rest...sourthern food....get there by 1030 am to get first seating...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Misssmb wrote:

Probably this one.

If you look on RV Park Reviews, Sunshine is closer. We went by Sunshine and it didn't look very nice. And yes, I'm being polite.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Misssmb
Explorer
Explorer

Misssmb
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! Are these all pretty fast moving roads? Hubby hates all the traffic lights! I am just asking since we have never been through this area before.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Misssmb wrote:
Hi! I am still trying to figure out where to stop. We are leaving from Bethlehem, PA and will go 81 and plan on stopping around the Ft. Chiswell area for our first stop. Then where to go to next? Savannah maybe? We are leaving on a Friday and don't have reservations until Monday in Ft. Myers. Any good ideas or suggestion of campgrounds that perhaps are close to a town or a have a restaurant. Last year we stayed at St. Mary's KOA and that was very nice but we only stopped 2 nights then and went down 95 to Florida.

I would go 81 stop at Ft Chiswell C/G then go down 77 to I-20 in Columbia and take 20 west to exit 113 on I-20 ,stay at Country Boy C/G---nice country buffet at the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle,Ga....20 minutes away...then stay on rt 129 down to I-16 to I-75..then down 75 to Ft Myers staying around Ocala,Florida....Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I'd do Ft. Chiswell. And 2 nights in Savannah. That give you time to see things in Savannah.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Misssmb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! Any other suggestions if we do 3 nights? Thanks!

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at RVparky on your computer and also install app on your phone. It will give you a wealth of information at your finger tips.
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
For your first stop, you may want to check out Claytor Lake SP near Newbern, VA.

Just south of Savannah, you could catch Ft McAllister SP. This time of year it should be very nice without mosquitos or sand gnats. There is a nice little local restaurant about a mile from the entrance and right on the Ogeechee River. Either stay here two nights or split the last 400 miles down to Ft Myers with a stop near Gainesville.

If you do spend two nights at Ft McAllister, you could ride in to explore Savannah for a few hours.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot to see and do in Savannah. We enjoyed the Oatland Island Wildlife Center, the Historic District, Old Fort Jackson, Wormsloe, Fort Pulaski, Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum and the Old Town Trolley Tour. There are several good campgrounds at various price point in the Savannah area.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler