cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

8 hrs from MD, fun for kids, 50 amp, prefer state parks?

Magua
Explorer
Explorer
Pipe dream?

Trying to think of somewhere new to take our 6 and 8 year old boys (and our lab!) for a week's vacation this summer. We've been to the ADKs in NY and down the east coast to the NC beaches.

Thinking Niagra Falls and Four Mile Creek State Park, but not sure what else, besides the falls, there is to do around there.

Thought about Asheville NCโ€ฆdying to see the Biltmoreโ€ฆbut what else to do?

Maybe Pigeon Forge? Sounds like quite a bit to do, but that may be a very, very long trip?

Where else could we go? We have a 38' moho and will want 50 amp electric, but other hook ups don't matter much. We prefer state park-type atmospheres (and prices) though I know that's tough now that our rig is so darn big.

Looking forward to any input! ๐Ÿ™‚
Me (39), DH (40), DS1: 7 DS2: 6
Grand plans to take the fam on the road for a year+.
27 REPLIES 27

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
Go see the elk herd in Great Smokey Mountain National Park.

Picture of camp site we had at Anchor Sown RV Resort. Very nice close to Piegon Forge, Sevierville area.

terrytrailertra
Explorer
Explorer
We love the smokies. On the Cherokee side, we like Yogi. We have also stayed in Pigeon Forge for a couple of days...but it is busier than we like. We did bite the bullet and dry camp at Elkmont CG on the Gburg side of the park...so glad we did! It was beautiful and comfortable. You can also tube in the river right in the cg. You are in the park which is loaded with stuff to do and very close to the touristy stuff in PF and Gburg. It is sooooo worth the roughing it for a couple of days.

James Island was mentioned, and it is a great park. However, don't know that I would do more than a couple of days in the summer. It is HOT, and there is not a free pool to cool off in. There is a water park, but it costs around $10pp per day which can get pricey added on to camp site fees. There is a free spray and play (glorified sprinklers). The beach is about at 15 minute drive.

I would also vote for Bull Run.
17 Keystone Sprinter
'17 Dodge Ram
DH, DD-15, DS-12, and Me (Mom)

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the Cherokee KOA and found it quite nice. Lots to see in the area. Might want to take a ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Railway or see the play, "Unto These Hills".
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

Magua
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are just the bomb! Thank you for the amazing recommendations! I have MUCH to research. We added Maine to the list since we haven't been (except a 30 hour round trip weekend to pick up a 1926 Old Town canoe to restore!). Eastern TN/Western NC still close to the top of the list. There's a nice looking (at least online) KOA in Cherokee NC. I'm now thinking Pigeon Forge might be too commercialized/kitschy/tourist-trappy. Same reason I loathe Ocean City, MD, but love Cape Henlopen State Park (and one night on the small Rehoboth boardwalk for the little guys). Myrtle Beach might be pushing it distance-wise...took us 10 hours a lifetime ago before kids and speeding in a car (so said the officer in Virginia)...with the moho, 2 wild little boys and a wild lab...might take quite a bit longer!

Thanks so much everyone!!! Off to research vacation spots...I mean WORK. Yes, work.

PS. those of you near MD...Tuckahoe State Park is AWESOME, has 30 amp service and quite a few big-rig friendly sites. Just made our 4th of July reservations. Easy drive to St. Mike's for the day.
Me (39), DH (40), DS1: 7 DS2: 6
Grand plans to take the fam on the road for a year+.

GraciesDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

Cherry Creek camp ground off I95 in DC is a great resort CG and the kids will always love the great museums. Used to take my kids all the time and now they love taking there kids every chance they get, hard to imagine one of the best spots in the world is so close.

BOL,

Uhm... Skipper? Do you mean Cherry HILL park? It is SUPER! You can leave the toad behind and take a public bus to the Metro and be in downtown DC in minutes!

Personally, I'm partial to east Tennessee & Nashville, as well as the drive through GSMNP on 421 from Pigeon Forge to Cherokee, NC. Don't worry about the tunnels, they've been retrofitted to accommodate a larger RV. Use your jake brake. Dunno about SPs... I've only stayed at Foothills in PF.
Watch your tail swing... Keep the greasy side down and keep it 'tweeeeeeeeen the ditches, Y'all!

John E. Baker, III & Sally Baker - The Traveling Siblings!
Co-pilots: Llasah Lilly, Brown Daschie Chloe and Tuxedo Foots

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Though its not a state campground atmosphere or prices how about Cherrystone Family Camping Resort in VA crabbing,Charter Fishing, water park, place is loaded with amenities, your boys will love the place.

Also there's Bull Run Regional Park, VA nice state park with the hookups and space your looking for, water park and about 15 miles to DC metro

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I will have to back track as well. If you haven;t been to Myrtle Beach. You have to add that to the mix.
MB is a mecca for camping. Too many great CG's to mention and lots of things to do. You cannot go wrong with MB.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Ringer
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree with Bucky about MB. We usually go in mid June. Ocean temp is 80-82 degrees. Many CG's right on the beach. You mentioned Pigeon Forge. Anchor Down Resort This place is on my bucket list.
2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
2008 Saturn Vue

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to read thru the posts again to be sure, but Myrtle Beach has not been mentioned yet. There is more to do and see there than one trip can handle, kid stuff everywhere.
Puma 30RKSS

Ringer
Explorer
Explorer
When our kids were young, one of our trips in the summer would be to the Jersey Shore Ocean View Resort I would consider this a great CG for kids. Hugh swimming lake with a sandy beach and nice pools. We used to go when they had their "Halloween in July" Weekend. What a great time the kids had. Also down the road a few miles are the Cape May County Zoo which is very nice and the Boardwalk at Wildwood. One year we rode the Cape May Ferry over to Lewes, DE and back. We used to go to Cherrystone on the eastern shore of VA a lot also. Not state parks, but the kids where thrilled whenever we went there. Have you ever tried Elkneck State Park here in Cecil County??? Nice FHU loop and very popular. I have never stayed there since it is so close to home but have ridden thru. DE also has some nice state parks.
2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
2008 Saturn Vue

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acadia NP might be close enough. For that matter, Acadia NP should be close enough even if it's farther than you really want to go.

Quite a few amusement parks have campgrounds associated with them, actually. Offhand, I know of Knoebels and HersheyPark in PA, and I think Darien Lake in NY may still have one. Of those, Hershey would seem to me to be the best choice for a week's vacation, since there's a good bit to do in the area besides ride the rides and enrich the midway's coffers. (Knoebels and Darien Lake are basically out in the middle of nowhere.)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep your money in state & go to Assateague Nat Seashore. Dry Camping. Plenty of big sites. Don't leave any food on the picnic table. The horses will have it. Ocean City nearby. Want a little history? Take a day & go to the Chesapeake Maritime Museum in St Michaels. Have some crabs at the Crab Claw dock & watch the real recreational money go by.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pamvanw
Explorer
Explorer
Coincidentally I was looking through old family photos yesterday and came across the ones from our vacation to Pigeon Forge and the Smoky Mountains. It was a fantastic place for kids! One of our best trips ever. I remarked to DH how everyone loved that trip. There's DollyWood, tons of nature, shows, and touristy attractions. I highly recommend it.
Pam
2012 Arctic Fox 30U
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
@Magua likewise I've done most of the local stuff but I've never headed towards the Smokies. The Smokies has always been just a bit too far to drive.
I rationalized why drive all the way to the Smokies when the Shenandoah Valley is so close.
If I had more time the Smokies and Mt.Rushmore are on my bucket list
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637