cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amicalola Falls State Park-GA

Ragin_Cajun
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about a Thanksgiving trip here this year...anyone been that could give any tips about the campground & area (especially for November weather), how about getting in & out with a fifth wheel?
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.6TD (EFI Live by DuramaxTuner)
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Family of Four Who LOVE Camping!
13 REPLIES 13

RandACampin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Markiemark32 wrote:
There is a Steep (25% Grade) paved road up to the campground, a little nerve racking, just because of the steepness. I have been up it with a Travel Trailer, the road not super tight, just straight up for ยผ-1/2 mile. The cool thing, the campground is way up overlooking the Mountains! Fifth Wheels get up it all the time.

The park itself has hiking, the falls, and a lodge with restaurant.

Park Map

That time of year, hard to estimate weather, could be chilly\cold or could be nice fall like temps. Although being a little higher in the mountains, it will be cool to cold at night and mornings.

State Site

Within 30 minute drive, you can get to either Ellijay or Dahlonega (both cool little Mtn towns nice to visit).

Ellijay

Dahlonega

North Georgia Mountains are great area for camping and outdoor adventures!

Markiemark

I clocked that grade on the odometer this year. That hill up to the CG is one mile.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

titan92
Explorer
Explorer
We went there recently with a Ram 1500 HEMI towing a 32TT. It was a slow ride up but we made it. Actually stopped at the lodge before continuing up the mountain. Honestly, that was too much work for that truck but I am still impressed it made it. For anyone interested, the rev limiter held us steady at 2500 RPM and 5 MPH.

There are sites large enough, I had the TV, the TT, plus the wife's van stacked into our site. Most sites are on the smaller side, popup sized if you will.

Coming down, well that's the true test. We were forced to leave in the rain. We were sliding at several points. I was glad to finally make it down.

It's not for the faint of heart, but it was a heck of an experience! I will go back, but my TV will be a 2500 HD.

Edit: I didn't know about the steep grade until I turned into the park. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
washley1 wrote:
Hold the phone! How long is your 5er? The campsites are VERY short, and the road through the campground is quite curvy and I mean tight! I have a38fter, and would NOT even attempt it. Call and speak to a ranger before you book.
I had no problem with my 37 ft mh.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

washley1
Explorer
Explorer
Hold the phone! How long is your 5er? The campsites are VERY short, and the road through the campground is quite curvy and I mean tight! I have a38fter, and would NOT even attempt it. Call and speak to a ranger before you book.

epusher
Explorer
Explorer
Its a beautiful park. The falls are great, the restaurant was very reasonable with outstanding views and the nature center is interesting as well. I remember seeing the old truck, thanks for the info on that Olde Volks. Many great things to do in the area - lots of waterfalls to visit. And the train ride at Blue Ridge is a fun experience.
2010 Sabre 30BHDS: 10 gal elct/gas dsi, 15k a/c, 1.5 bath, high fidelity package
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 1 dog, 1 wife, 2 kids, 2 cats

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
If you have not booked AF yet check out Riverbend in Hiawassee. They have full hookups, cable and on Thanksgiving they have a campground feast.

The owners of the campground supply the turkeys and hams and all the campers bring the sides. They put up large tents so everyone can eat together. Last year there were around 135 people. There are a lot of us that have become "family" as we spend Thanksgiving together.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

Ragin_Cajun
Explorer
Explorer
Olde Volks Place wrote:
When you head out from the Lodge on your way to take the stairs to the btm of the falls take the time to ENJOY everything around you. I think most people are taken by the beauty around them but when you look down there is beauty to be seen there as well, meaning that you will see old car bumpers,fenders,etc that have been there along time that they left in place for your enjoyment. Also there is a section for handicap parking that is a direct access to the center of the falls, If you walk that trail either going to or coming from the parking look into the woods to your Right or Left depending and you will see a 50's Chevy truck that slid off the road many moons ago, with trees tearing it apart it is now a thing of beauty to see. I asked a ranger and he informed me that moonshiners ran that area back in the day and yes you could see what remained of an old road just above the wreckage of the truck.
So enjoy your time and be sure to all look around you may just find something I missed, OH yeah and I think there is like 400 steps so be ready.

Great insider info...Thanks, we'll be on the lookout!!!
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6

Olde_Volks_Plac
Explorer
Explorer
When you head out from the Lodge on your way to take the stairs to the btm of the falls take the time to ENJOY everything around you. I think most people are taken by the beauty around them but when you look down there is beauty to be seen there as well, meaning that you will see old car bumpers,fenders,etc that have been there along time that they left in place for your enjoyment. Also there is a section for handicap parking that is a direct access to the center of the falls, If you walk that trail either going to or coming from the parking look into the woods to your Right or Left depending and you will see a 50's Chevy truck that slid off the road many moons ago, with trees tearing it apart it is now a thing of beauty to see. I asked a ranger and he informed me that moonshiners ran that area back in the day and yes you could see what remained of an old road just above the wreckage of the truck.
So enjoy your time and be sure to all look around you may just find something I missed, OH yeah and I think there is like 400 steps so be ready.

Ragin_Cajun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the detailed info...looks like we're booking AF for turkey week!
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
the campground is not super exciting, but the lodge is a great place for dinner and has stunning views of the mountains. The climb up to CG is not as bad as some make it out to be. it's not a problem. If you can get a window table for dinner at the lodge, do so. Kids will like the nature center at the entrance.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Steep (25% Grade) paved road up to the campground, a little nerve racking, just because of the steepness. I have been up it with a Travel Trailer, the road not super tight, just straight up for ยผ-1/2 mile. The cool thing, the campground is way up overlooking the Mountains! Fifth Wheels get up it all the time.

The park itself has hiking, the falls, and a lodge with restaurant.

Park Map

That time of year, hard to estimate weather, could be chilly\cold or could be nice fall like temps. Although being a little higher in the mountains, it will be cool to cold at night and mornings.

State Site

Within 30 minute drive, you can get to either Ellijay or Dahlonega (both cool little Mtn towns nice to visit).

Ellijay

Dahlonega

North Georgia Mountains are great area for camping and outdoor adventures!

Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like great weather for a short hike on the Appalachian Trail!
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
IIRC there is a short steep climb on the road up to the CG. We didn't actually camp there so I don't have any comments about the CG itself.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper