cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another hard day at the office....

It's nice when I can work remotely.
I have my laptop and other stuff. I sit out there enjoying my surroundings and nobody is any the wiser!

Yup, just another hard day at the office! :B

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
13 REPLIES 13

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

20yr ago it would have been difficult. Of course, the internet as we know it really only kicked off in the mid 90's.

Even 14yr ago when we stared remote working, our data consumption had to be much lower. We had a 5GB data plan and we never exceeded it. It wasn't uncommon to go to a coffee shop if we needed to transfer something large.

More recently...we have individual days when we burn thru more than 5GB and it's less and less of an issue getting cell coverage.

Just burned into my data limits cn may iPhone and now using DW's, lol.

Next leg of campsites may have to be on independent and commercial campgrounds as a base for national parks we intend to visit.

Maybe with the new administrations higher budget for NP/NF's, they can put in wifi's.:B

Old-Biscuit wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I prefer Retirement.......

If you inherit a lot a money at a young age, that's a great option.

For most people, its still nice to have some money coming in.

Without an inheritance or other significant advantages (paid my own way thru college), we were able to start this lifestyle (working part time and traveling full time) at age 37 because we could work remotely. We've been able to continue saving for retirement and at 51 we are looking at a year or two transitioning to full retirement.

An extra 30yr (compared to retiring at the SS official 67) is sure nice.

Inherited $$$....Hahahaha

Dad was a independent welder in the oilfield.....Mom was a Mom
She taught me about saving $$
And I did.....retired 2 months shy of turning 50 yrs old
Inheritance.........yep. Inherited my own hard earned $$$

That was 18 yrs ago ---- thanks Mom for the '$$$' lessons taught

lesson LEARNED - PRICELESS !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Without an inheritance or other significant advantages (paid my own way thru college), we were able to start this lifestyle (working part time and traveling full time) at age 37 because we could work remotely. We've been able to continue saving for retirement and at 51 we are looking at a year or two transitioning to full retirement.

Inherited $$$....Hahahaha

Dad was a independent welder in the oilfield.....Mom was a Mom
She taught me about saving $$
And I did.....retired 2 months shy of turning 50 yrs old
Inheritance.........yep. Inherited my own hard earned $$$

That was 18 yrs ago ---- thanks Mom for the '$$$' lessons taught
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

So mid week, you hang out where there is a good cell signal but maybe only 30-40 miles from your ideal off the grid location....much better than 300miles away at a stationary office.

Best idea!

But 20 odd years ago, there is no decent wifi outside of big cities, lol.

And yes, I'm doing the gig when the campisite provide wifi or if not, my iPhone has strong enough signal for a personal hot spot.

The best of both worlds!

Made a few of my former colleagues still in the rat race envious.

20yr ago it would have been difficult. Of course, the internet as we know it really only kicked off in the mid 90's.

Even 14yr ago when we stared remote working, our data consumption had to be much lower. We had a 5GB data plan and we never exceeded it. It wasn't uncommon to go to a coffee shop if we needed to transfer something large.

More recently...we have individual days when we burn thru more than 5GB and it's less and less of an issue getting cell coverage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

So mid week, you hang out where there is a good cell signal but maybe only 30-40 miles from your ideal off the grid location....much better than 300miles away at a stationary office.

Best idea!

But 20 odd years ago, there is no decent wifi outside of big cities, lol.

And yes, I'm doing the gig when the campisite provide wifi or if not, my iPhone has strong enough signal for a personal hot spot.

The best of both worlds!

Made a few of my former colleagues still in the rat race envious.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Yeah, I wish I thought of this 20 years ago.

But then my gig calls for a laptop and strong wifi signal which is mostly absent in tucked in campsites that are actually my favorite. And this gig only needs an optional 6-hour day.

You just have to be flexible.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I wish I thought of this 20 years ago.

But then my gig calls for a laptop and strong wifi signal which is mostly absent in tucked in campsites that are actually my favorite. And this gig only needs an optional 6-hour day.

valhalla360 wrote:
Finally, people understand.

We've been doing it for 14yrs, 31 states, 34 countries and 5 continents. It has it's challenges but no way we could do it otherwise.

In my younger years I was on the tools. I had to physically be there to build stuff.
But now that I am running the show instead, I can be anywhere in the RV and do the same work. Yeah, I understand! It's great!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Finally, people understand.

We've been doing it for 14yrs, 31 states, 34 countries and 5 continents. It has it's challenges but no way we could do it otherwise.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Where can I apply?

Your application is in the mail... :B

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Where can I apply?