cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Yellowstone question

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a difficult time and was hoping for some help from all of you. I've searched this forum, looked at reviews on various other sites also, but I am getting a lot of conflicting info on reviews.
We are planning the go to Yellowstone for the first time in 2015 and we are looking for a homebase CG between Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's. We are wanting a FHU site since we plan to stay about 7 days. The CG's I'm seeing in this area have a lot of bad reviews such as small sites, bad facilities, rude owners, etc. Any suggestions for a CG in this area. Thanks.
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift
30 REPLIES 30

jimbowilly
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Yellowstone in mid-June and stayed at Fishing Bridge CG. The spacing is close but not too tight. We have been in way tighter CGs (Pismo Coast Village).

We spent a lot of time driving back and forth to the main geyser/hot spot areas on the west side of the park. It took close to an hour to get to the Old Faithful area from Fishing Bridge via the road along Yellowstone Lake.

Many reviews say the park is less crowded in June than July. That may be true but it seemed very crowded even in June. It was more often than not we could not get a parking place in some of the main geothermal areas on the west side, usually having to wait in a traffic line just to circle the spaces waiting to get lucky.

If you want to do a lot of geyser viewing, you may want to consider Grizzly RV. But please take into account the line to get into the park each day. We didn't have to deal with this at Fishing Bridge however.

Then we were down in Jackson at the Virginian. It was a very nice and clean campground/RV park. I didn't not find the management rude in any way.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
lushy wrote:
. I was wondering if everyone could share their opinion on key landmarks, areas or things that are a must-see at Yellowstone/Grand Tetons.Thanks.

For Yellowstone, the thermal features & geysers are my Must-See places. Grand Prismatic Spring is spectacular. I loved the Fountain Paint Pot trail. (Norris Basin, West thumb, and the Upper, Midway & Lower Geyser Basins all have so many gems.) And up at Mammoth, see the Terraces.

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is also beautiful - don't miss seeing the Lower Falls.

At Grand Teton, I thought Jenny Lake was gorgeous. I'd highly recommend taking one of the guided river float trips, too.

I haven't done a river float there, but I agree with all the rest. Also be sure to do the Firehole Lake Drive, across the road from the Lower Geyser Basin and Fountain Paint Pots. Both Great Fountain and White Dome Geysers erupted while we went through.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

WishUponanRVSta
Explorer
Explorer
We spent the summer working in Moran WY and agree the two parks are way too large to enjoy staying in one place. Too much driving for a short period of time. A couple of our favorite activities was kayaking String and Leigh Lakes to the base of Mount Moran, definitely the shuttle boat across Jenny Lake and hike to Hidden Falls, Inspiration Point, and into Cascade Canyon, and a hike to Taggart and Bradley Lakes. The river trips, either float or white water, are great. A fly fishing float trip was awesome. I found the dinner cruise on Jackson Lake not worth the money it cost. Its an awesome area, and felt there was so much left to see and do that we are returning to the same jobs for next summer ;-0

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
If you get to Grand Teton, you might also take a boat cruise on Jackson Lake. They have regular cruises that go out and around Elk Island, over to Moran Bay in the shadow of Mt. Moran and than back to the marina. They also have lunch and dinner cruises that go to Elk island for lunch or dinner on the shore looking over the lake to Mt. Moran. Jenny Lake is beautiful, but you can get a bit closer to the base of Mt. Moran on Jackson Lake. We generally, in the three trips there each year, fish at least part of the time, in Moran Bay. One of the prettiest spots we have been to in our lives. Although we haven't been everywhere.
John A. Lichty

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
There are all the obvious places in Yellowstone to see, but there are also some not so well known spots to stop in and visit. We were just there in August and spent a day on each of the two loops hitting the high spots and some of the lesser known areas.

The places we stopped at are in my blog Arches, Geysers and Canyons. Check out the four days we were in Yellowstone. If you are going to drive the loops it is easy to stop in at the Sheepeater Cliff or the Petrified Tree. Calcite Spring gives you a nice view of the canyon. We are not hikers so most of the places we stopped required little or no hiking (walking).

Also in the Grand Tetons we took the boat shuttle across Jenny Lake for a much shorter hike into Hidden Falls. Without the boat it is a 5 mile round trip hike, with the boat a less than a mile hike.
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
lushy wrote:
. I was wondering if everyone could share their opinion on key landmarks, areas or things that are a must-see at Yellowstone/Grand Tetons.Thanks.

For Yellowstone, the thermal features & geysers are my Must-See places. Grand Prismatic Spring is spectacular. I loved the Fountain Paint Pot trail. (Norris Basin, West thumb, and the Upper, Midway & Lower Geyser Basins all have so many gems.) And up at Mammoth, see the Terraces.

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is also beautiful - don't miss seeing the Lower Falls.

At Grand Teton, I thought Jenny Lake was gorgeous. I'd highly recommend taking one of the guided river float trips, too.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a generator and don't need full hookups, Gros Ventre is worth looking in to, for the Grand Teton's portion. Plan on getting up before day break for pictures of sunrise on the mountains. Lots of wildlife too in that campsite.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trip out years ago we only had about six nights to see what we could. I picked the most popular locations to see first. If you get out early each day and spend the whole day you can see a good deal of the place. We did this and it was quite dark each evening by the time we got back to Grizzly. But we still made it to the Tetons and Jackson as well. We've been back a number of times and still manage to see something new though.

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the info, it really helps. Now I can re-evaluate our trip and make the necessary plans.

I understand that there is a lot to do and see, but with our time limitation we won't be able to see everything. I was wondering if everyone could share their opinion on key landmarks, areas or things that are a must-see at Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. I have somewhat of a plan from the info I have read so far, but it's always nice to hear from all of you that have been there. Thanks.
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Y'stone a number of times and always stay at Grizzly RV Resort. Practically in the middle of West Yellowstone close to everything and only a two minute drive to the west gate of the park. Also an easy drive to the Tetons from this location and a nice scenic drive west into Idaho.

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
bee_46 wrote:
I agree with the recommendation of Fishing Bridge RV Campground in Yellowstone. It is pretty much centrally located for the upper and lower loops. Close access to Hayden Valley for wildlife although a bit of a drive to Lamar Valley another animal hotspot. We found the sights large enough and if you are towing they have an area to hook up and a parking spot for your tow vehicle along side. The only downside is you have to either walk or drive to the showers. You get two free showers per campsite per day. Any more than that you have to pay. We spent 4 nights there this summer. You are closer to the camper behind you than along side. Store and gas station are nearby for needed supplies. No need to leave the park for the duration of your stay.
This is good description of FB and I would highly recommend it,too. We stayed 10 nights in June and it was a perfect central location. We have reservations to return in 2015 and back to FB. We tow 34' 5er.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 for Fishing bridge and Coulter Bay RV Park...or The Virginian RV park in Jackson if you like ski lift rides up the mountain or white water rafting or chuck wagon dinners, etc.
Otherwise, you will be spending a LOT of time driving to and from.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Yellowstone is big, big, big. Seven days would be good for Yellowstone. But if you only have seven days for both and want full hookups I suggest Fishing Bridge RV Campground in Yellowstone for four days and then three days in Colter Bay RV Campground in Grand Tetons National Park. One goes to Yellowstone for the scenery and wildlife viewing. Not necessarily for a great camping experience. Have a great trip.

We'd highly recommended the above, also. In addition, if you move between the two parks during one week, you could easily do without hookups for 3-4 days at each park. You'd have many more choices that way. We'd also recommend you stay IN the parks themselves for the best experience and shorter drives. The parks are huge. Any of the campgrounds within the park are great unless you want a 5* resort. Besides, the parks should be your experience, not the campground. You won't be in the campgrounds much anyway.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
The reason you can't find much info on that is that it would be highly sub-optimal to try to enjoy both Teton and YS from one campground - too much driving. Stay in each. Fish Bridge is the option to beat there. If not there - have a good reason. It's central and convenient.

Find a place to stay at Teton. Where do you plan to enter? You may be able to drive in through Teton - get the "lay of the land" then go into YS and stay - then go back to Teton at the end with a better understanding of what you want to do.

Unless you have a condition requiring hookups - I'd consider a 2-3 night stop at Teton at the end and dump at the end.

I'd highly recommend a good guide for each park and start with 5 nights for YS and 2 for Teton then tune from there based on your interests.