cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any special way to make a reservation at Desert Trails?

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what's going on, but I've been trying for a week now to get a reservation for a one month stay in January/February at Desert Trails RV Park outside of Tucson. There is no on-line reservation system that I can find, and no response to emails or messages left on their answering machine over the past week. We're first time snowbirds to the Tucson area, and I'm wondering if there is another, better way to approach this. Or, are my expectations too high? I understand that I'm looking at a reservation for the high season, and am getting concerned that I either will or may have already 'missed the train'. Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations would be much appreciated. My thanks in advance...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW
20 REPLIES 20

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itching2go wrote:
Well, after much hunting and clicking, I think it might be best for us to go back to 'plan A', which was to take three months to sample the entire area from Big Bend to Vegas, no reservations anywhere, spending a week or two at a few places of particular interest. Then, if we find an area and park we really like, consider spending the winter in 2018 or 19. I'm thinking we should be able to find places 'on the fly', although they might not always be the best available. Life is, after all, an adventure!

Again, thanks for your suggestions. If you happen to see a big fiver and a red truck with Indiana plates, be sure to wave.

You can't begin to "sample" that area from BB to Vegas without moving at least once a week.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

jrclark
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Trails RV Park has picnic tables at every spot. Also, it is much nicer than Justin's - entertainment, activities, etc.
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3677

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we stopped there in October, and not only were they full for Jan-Mar, but they had a waiting list with over 40 people. We stayed next door at Justin's Diamond J, and liked it so much we're going back this year
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itching2go wrote:
Yeah, I do have a call into them as well. But given our decision to bounce around this year, I likely won t book anything if/when they call back. I do like their location, though, and will definitely be one we look into when we get into the Tucson area. It may be minor to others, but the fact that they don't have picnic tables is a significant negative for us. From what I'm learning from my web research, this appears to be common in the snowbird parks. True?

I wouldn't call Justins a snowbird park per se but come to think of it, many RV parks (vs campgrounds) don't have picnic tables. We never use them so are happier to have extra room.
Justins is laid back, with miles of adjacent hiking trails if you like to walk (desert trails has the access too).

Personally I don't think you'll regret your decision to wander around this first year.
You can check out Tucson, Casa Grande, Mesa area, Havasu, borrego Springs, And even wander into the Palm Springs area of CA if you want ๐Ÿ™‚ LOTS of places to see!
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
rskrbina wrote:
300 feet to the north of Desert Trails is Justin's Diamond J rv park. They have openings January thru March. Nice place.

We stayed at Desert Trails twice for short periods. Funky place, nice people... Cramped sites. You have to wait for someone to die to get the prime sites. But we enjoyed our stay.

Lazy Days Tucson is a nice place. Yes, it is pricey. We've stayed there three or four times for up to a week.

Check out De Anzi in Amado. Going back for a month for the second year.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I do have a call into them as well. But given our decision to bounce around this year, I likely won t book anything if/when they call back. I do like their location, though, and will definitely be one we look into when we get into the Tucson area. It may be minor to others, but the fact that they don't have picnic tables is a significant negative for us. From what I'm learning from my web research, this appears to be common in the snowbird parks. True?

rskrbina
Explorer
Explorer
300 feet to the north of Desert Trails is Justin's Diamond J rv park. They have openings January thru March. Nice place.
Rudy, Jenny and Garrett
2014 Thor.. Four Winds 35SK Super C..F-550..6.7 Diesel
CRV, F-150 & Wrangler Sahara Toads..TST Tire monitor

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure that you could also get a site at the Lazy Days KOA in Tucson, it may be a bit pricey but has good spaces and full hook ups etc.

We've never had a problem touring around, seems that there are sites available most places for a short stay.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Itching2go wrote:
Well, after much hunting and clicking, I think it might be best for us to go back to 'plan A', which was to take three months to sample the entire area from Big Bend to Vegas, no reservations anywhere, spending a week or two at a few places of particular interest. Then, if we find an area and park we really like, consider spending the winter in 2018 or 19. I'm thinking we should be able to find places 'on the fly', although they might not always be the best available. Life is, after all, an adventure!

Again, thanks for your suggestions. If you happen to see a big fiver and a red truck with Indiana plates, be sure to wave.

We spent 2 years bouncing around Arizona before settling on Mesa for the winter. It takes time to find what you like and MOST IMPORTANT what you don't like. If you want to sample Phoenix area, look at using Passport America for week in several of the different Cal-Am parks. I'd try Apache Wells (a small park), Val Vista (just because that's where we are), Mesa Regal (a BIGGGG park), all in Mesa, and Canyon Vistas in Gold Canyon. Also a week at Usery Park can be wedged in there. It is one of the Maricopa County Parks. And for a week's stay you just need to call a couple of weeks in advance.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Pima Co. Fairgrounds, 520 762 9100 ex-26. Two years ago $20.00/nite, $100.00/wk.
Now this is Fairgrounds Camping, '60s size sites, they normally park units every other space until they get crowded. FHU, NO amenities other than jumping horse shows, horse shows, calf roping, car shows, craft shows etc. at the f/g's, NHRA 1/4 mile drag strip on site (don't know dates), motor cross track across west boundary road, 3/8 mile paved track racing (again don,t know dates).

I-10 exit 275, south about 1 mile to Brekke Rd, right (west) about 3/8 mile to entrance on left (south) to RV office.
www.swfair.com

Also I- 10 exit 275 go north about 1/2 mile on your right is Cactus Gardens? commercial RV Park.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
pawatt wrote:
Itching2go wrote:

Sounds like a very good plan.

Yep, excellent plan! We always find someplace to stay in AZ every winter, with either no reservations or very few ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe head to Quartzsite in Jan for the RV show. Park in the desert with a bunch of RVers. A total blast ๐Ÿ™‚

And PS Big Bend is one of my favorite places- been there 6 times!
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Itching2go wrote:

Sounds like a very good plan.
pawatt

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Try Pima County Fairgrounds. East and a little south of Tucson, but have nice full hookup sites and should have space for a months stay.

Good luck,

John