Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody been to McKerricher lately?

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all..

Been itching to get out again.
The wife is commanding that we go to the coast so I guess that's where we have to go.
Not too excited about pulling from Willits to 1.

I thought I'd ask if anyone has been up to McKerricher SP here in CA in the past few months.

We haven't been over there in quite some time and I was wondering if getting our somewhat large fiver in there would be a real hassle.

Last time over there we backed our 28 foot TT in on the Cleone side.
I don't remember it being a massive challenge.

If we don't get lucky there I guess we could go up to Pomo.
Pomo might be better anyway...

TIA
8 REPLIES 8

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about MacKerricker being tight and low hanging trees. The lake Cleone loop has spaces that re large but it has tight turns and only a few spaces that you will fit in. You can check it out and if it doesn't work, stay somewhere else. We tow our 30 ft. From Willits to Hwy 1 fairly often without any issues. Just use your low gears or tow/haul mode and take it slow. By the way, I like Pomo RV park .
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for the replies folks!

Didn't mean to start any disagreements.

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up in Fort Bragg, CA I can assure you that loaded logging trucks drive the Willits Road (Hwy 20 between CA 1 and CA 101) daily. When the mill in Fort Bragg was open it would be dozens if not hundreds of logging trucks everyday. It can safely be navigated pulling a 5er.

That said I prefer taking 128 from Coverdale on the 101 though Boonville, Navarro Redwoods to CA1 and then up the coast. IMO it's a little straighter and prettier of a drive.

As for McKerricher, I think the loops would be tight but not impossible if you can get a spur long enough.

Good luck, I really miss it up their.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
What would you call folks who drive roads that they cannot safely navigate? Having driven those roads recently and watched folks fail miserably to stay in their lane or even on the pavement with rigs that could be described as "somewhat large" I stand by my concerns. My comments are meant to be taken as a warning as to just how tight these roads are. Once you commit to them there are few if any options when it comes to turning around.

I never encountered a loaded logging truck on either road though we did see them unloaded with the rear carriage brought forward or running fully loaded on 101. These are professional drivers who drive these roads every day in all kinds of weather and they bring a skill set that few RV owners could ever hope to match. Never had one in my lane. Leggett to Bragg is better road than 1 north to Willits but not by much.

Yes, both of these roads are among the most beautiful we have ever encountered and I assume that is why so many folks with large rigs pull a Toad.... so that they can safely enjoy the ride.

Maybe a better way to categorize CA SR 1 would be to say that it is not for novice RV drivers of big rigs. It has nothing to do with the road, it has everything to do with the driver. I have traveled this road and seen logging trucks many times and many times a day. One time I went south on a bicycle and the logging trucks are really noticable when traveling at 10-15 mph. Maybe you traveled this road on a weekend and the trucks were not operating. The road is safe, it is the drivers that need to understand what they are getting into and take it from there. I don't feel that scare tactics are warranted and it has nothing to do with reasonable sized RV's, it has to do with reasonably skilled RV drivers. It is not about size --it is about skill.

The most dangerous road I have found in California for towing is not SR 1; it is IR 80 between Auburn and San Francisco. Folks are driving ten over the speed limit; changing lanes all the time; eating, drinking or talking on the cell; and not giving anybody any reasonable car lengths of space. If we, trying to leave some space between the car ahead and us, leave a few car lengths for safety that space is immediately occupied by another car. It is absolutely no fun to drive this segment and can be very nerve racking.

The PCH on the other hand is relaxing. All it takes is being confident of your skill level and knowing where the passenger side wheels of the RV are at all times. Any RV owner that does not know where the wheels of the RV are perhaps should not be on any road.

Also kudos to California for trying to do everything possible to keep their state parks open during their budget crisis; something the federal government could learn from California.

I am not saying there are not a few tight 15 mph turns, I am saying that if the RV driver knows their rig, it is not an issue.

If you ever want to do the road right -- ride a bicycle on it. 10,000 riders a summer travel the 1800 miles between Canada and Mexico down the PCH. America at 10 mph is not the America we see inside a steel and glass cage at 45, 55 or even faster speeds. And you will definately notice the logging trucks -- every single one of them. And since they are on the clock, I made every effort to help them pass quickly and easily.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Self absorbed agenda??? Really! Logging trucks travel California 1 several times every day both directions. I have traveled this route and don't understand why the OP's 32 foot fifth wheel would not be able to easily negotiate the route from Leggett to Fort Bragg. As long as the OP knows where the wheels of the fifth wheel are in curves there should be no issues. Why scare people away from the most northern part of perhaps the most scenic highway in all of America?"

What would you call folks who drive roads that they cannot safely navigate? Having driven those roads recently and watched folks fail miserably to stay in their lane or even on the pavement with rigs that could be described as "somewhat large" I stand by my concerns. My comments are meant to be taken as a warning as to just how tight these roads are. Once you commit to them there are few if any options when it comes to turning around.

I never encountered a loaded logging truck on either road though we did see them unloaded with the rear carriage brought forward or running fully loaded on 101. These are professional drivers who drive these roads every day in all kinds of weather and they bring a skill set that few RV owners could ever hope to match. Never had one in my lane. Leggett to Bragg is better road than 1 north to Willits but not by much.

Yes, both of these roads are among the most beautiful we have ever encountered and I assume that is why so many folks with large rigs pull a Toad.... so that they can safely enjoy the ride.
:C

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is not to say that folks don't do it but they are over the double yellow on most of the tight switchbacks and kicking up dust on inside turns. I guess they don't mind putting the lives of others in danger to serve their own self absorbed agendas (do I sound like a guy who has come around a blind curve to find my lane half full of Class A?).

Self absorbed agenda??? Really! Logging trucks travel California 1 several times every day both directions. I have traveled this route and don't understand why the OP's 32 foot fifth wheel would not be able to easily negotiate the route from Leggett to Fort Bragg. As long as the OP knows where the wheels of the fifth wheel are in curves there should be no issues. Why scare people away from the most northern part of perhaps the most scenic highway in all of America?

As far as McKerricher, last time I was there it seemed a little run down. Probably from California state park funding limitations. There is a very nice RV park near Westport that is right on the ocean and might be an alternative. There is also Wrights Beach in Bodega Bay that is my favorite ocean camping as it is just below the cliff where the beach and cliff meet. And, it is easy to get to.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
I would check on line at Reserve.com. McKerricker SP will have limited loops open at this time and may only accommodate 30 feet or less. In the past we have observed low tree limbs inhibiting specific sites. If you are looking for beach access, the SP is your best best as Pomo does not have beach access.
Have a great time!
West Beachhouse

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thats_Ok wrote:
Howdy all..

Been itching to get out again.
The wife is commanding that we go to the coast so I guess that's where we have to go.
Not too excited about pulling from Willits to 1.

I thought I'd ask if anyone has been up to McKerricher SP here in CA in the past few months.

We haven't been over there in quite some time and I was wondering if getting our somewhat large fiver in there would be a real hassle.

Last time over there we backed our 28 foot TT in on the Cleone side.
I don't remember it being a massive challenge.

If we don't get lucky there I guess we could go up to Pomo.
Pomo might be better anyway...

TIA

We spent a night in McKerricher about a month ago, very nice CG and then drove highway 1 on up to Leggett. You will have your hands full putting a large fiver into McKerricher. I am sure it can be done but the roads are tight and most of the sites tighter.

You are right, Willets to 1 is no place for a larger fiver but then neither is 1 from McKerricher up to Leggett. We were in a 24' Class C and anything bigger would have been a stretch.

This is not to say that folks don't do it but they are over the double yellow on most of the tight switchbacks and kicking up dust on inside turns. I guess they don't mind putting the lives of others in danger to serve their own self absorbed agendas (do I sound like a guy who has come around a blind curve to find my lane half full of Class A?).

Bottom line, not every rig can safely negotiate every road. Like Clint Eastwood/Harry Callahan said.... "a man's got to know his limitations". :E