cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arches and Canyon lands nation park

jeff14
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone give advise on how many days to spend visiting Arches and Canyonlands National Parks? I have allotted 4 days as of now.
11 REPLIES 11

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have a 4x4 or good legs, and a camera you can spend a month there enjoy every minutes of it.

Advice -- water, water, and then take water. Desert climate will fool you if you're not familiar with it. WATER !

Also, gas up before you go into Canyonlands -- no fuel in the park. NO water in the park campgrounds either, so 'water-up' prior to entering parks too.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
We were there in September for 4 days. Went to Arches and the Islands in the Sky portion of Canyonlands. We could have spent another 2 or 3 days there easily, but we like to hike and would have liked to see the Needles portion of Canyonlands.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
A few places in the Moab area that I don't think have been mentioned are: Kane Creek Road, Potash Lower Colorado Byway, Upper Colorado River UT-128 Scenic Byway, Sago Canyon, and Newspaper Rock.

If you are not aware of it, City Market is a Kroger company. If you have a Kroger, Smith's, Fry's, Dillion's, Ralph's, King Soopers, Fred Meyer or any of their other stores' loyalty card; the fuel points will be good at City Market and the one in Moab has a fuel station.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
You should get a pretty good overview in four days. At Canyonlands, I'd drive the Islands in the Sky road first. Plan on a 3/4 of day for this. On the way in, or the way out, take the side trip to Dead Horse State Park. The view at the end of the road is spectacular. If you have 4x4, then take the Needles route the next day. I'd spend a good full day or day and a half at Arches. You can take some short hikes there. Be certain you have a camera at all these places. The scenery is stunning. Make sure you visit the Moab Brewery for dinner one night.

Completely agree with this for a quick overview, plus more time if at all possible. Lots of easy hikes in all those areas that will lure you to fabulous views.

We camped a few nights each in Moab, at Arches, Dead Horse Point SP and down at Needles (Squaw Flat) to enjoy the different sunset views, night skies and ranger programs.

Moab Brewery is great for a cool, leisurely lunch, too, to escape the afternoon heat. Close by, the City Market grocery store is excellent for stocking up.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
4runnerguy wrote:
Depends on what you like to do. How much hiking/walking do you do? Would you rent a jeep for day to do some exploring? Four days is good for a quick view of the parks, but there is a lot to do it the area. I've been going to Moab for decades and still find something new every time I go out there. We spend 2-4 weeks there a year total. Yeah, it's just a great place. Don't know when you're going, but spring and fall are busy. Summer is hot. The week before Easter is beyond busy. Avoid if unless you like lines and crowds everywhere you go.

Yeah that's way we stayed at Monticello and not Moab which is a tourist trap. Monticello is several thousand feet higher and a lot cooler. The Needles district of Canyonlands is close but Arches is a several hour drive tho.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trackrig wrote:
We were there last fall. Four days will do it, but longer could be better. You'll need more time if you're doing Zion, Bryce, Grand Staircase Escalante and Capital Reef. If you're not on limited vacation time, it's well worth it to see all of them while you're in the area.

Yes if you have a 4X4 or something with higher ground clearance than a standard car, take the trail down through Pucker Pass. And right before your get to the visitor center at Canyon land is a trail that will take you over the edge of the canyon and back to Moab. The park people will point it out to you. Both are well worth it.

Bill

If that is the same trail that the ranger sent us down from the visitor center then don't plan on doing it with a long wheel base 4WD pickup. It had vertical 18-24" ledges that you need to drive up and over (or down on the way back) the approach angle means trouble on big trucks. I got out and built a ramp out of loose rocks to get back down after going up one. I did not go over the second one farther down the trail so we only made it maybe 2/3 rds of the way.
Superbumper

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
You should get a pretty good overview in four days. At Canyonlands, I'd drive the Islands in the Sky road first. Plan on a 3/4 of day for this. On the way in, or the way out, take the side trip to Dead Horse State Park. The view at the end of the road is spectacular. If you have 4x4, then take the Needles route the next day. I'd spend a good full day or day and a half at Arches. You can take some short hikes there. Be certain you have a camera at all these places. The scenery is stunning. Make sure you visit the Moab Brewery for dinner one night.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
If you're really into a lot of hiking, 4 days may not be enough :). But for me, 4 would have been. We got in one day and the govt. shut down and kicked us out. ๐Ÿ˜ž
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what you like to do. How much hiking/walking do you do? Would you rent a jeep for day to do some exploring? Four days is good for a quick view of the parks, but there is a lot to do it the area. I've been going to Moab for decades and still find something new every time I go out there. We spend 2-4 weeks there a year total. Yeah, it's just a great place. Don't know when you're going, but spring and fall are busy. Summer is hot. The week before Easter is beyond busy. Avoid if unless you like lines and crowds everywhere you go.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were there last fall. Four days will do it, but longer could be better. You'll need more time if you're doing Zion, Bryce, Grand Staircase Escalante and Capital Reef. If you're not on limited vacation time, it's well worth it to see all of them while you're in the area.

Yes if you have a 4X4 or something with higher ground clearance than a standard car, take the trail down through Pucker Pass. And right before your get to the visitor center at Canyon land is a trail that will take you over the edge of the canyon and back to Moab. The park people will point it out to you. Both are well worth it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's plenty for Arches. If you are there in the summer plan to do any hiking before 10AM or after 4PM. It is HOT.

4 Days for Canyonlands just scratches the surface. But you need a 4WD to explore much of the park. We were in the area for 2 weeks last summer but just began to look at the park. However we also went to other parks in the area of which there are many.

If you are just doing a quick look the Needles and Anticline overlooks are a must. There are long dirt roads to get to them however, but they were in excellent condition. Just as long as it doesn't rain. You can sit on the edge of a 1500 foot cliff and dangle your feet off the edge while watching vehicles on the trail far below.
Superbumper