cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avg propane use per day when boondocking: 1/4 gal?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got to wondering -- how much propane do we use, really? Obviously, the answer depends on the weather. But this would be a handy thing to know -- for example, if I have one empty tank and one full one, and a week to go before heading home, do I have to fill up or not? It is not always easy to find propane, and nobody wants to take time away from having fun to fill the tank. (I suppose I could purchase a reliable gauge, but I have never found one -- they vary wildly with altitude and temperature.)

So I have figured out a "real world" rule of thumb, based on our most recent trip. When we left in mid-September, my two five gallon tanks were full (weighing 35 lb. each). After 17 days of use (fridge, cooking, water heater, and furnace), I had used a total of 18.5 lb., or about 4.4 gallons (each gallon weighs 4.2 lb.). So that comes out to about a quarter of a gallon per day, in cool (but not freezing) weather. This is in an extremely small trailer, with two people. But we did not try to conserve propane -- we ran the heater at shower time for a few minutes almost every night, and we cooked both breakfast and dinner on the stove in the trailer, every day.

This seems like a low number -- but if it is right, that means that with just one 5 gallon tank, we are good for almost three weeks. Your mileage may vary!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
8 REPLIES 8

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info on how much propane might be used in a day. Never really thought it about much here. I have the two 20 lbs tanks and when one goes dry I switch to the full one and then go looking for a place to fill up the empty one.

In all of our off road camping have never run out of propane. We also don't use the propane furnace all that much as well and it is really set real low at 40 degrees for a backup source of heat if needed actually. Electric heat and electric blankets at electric sites - Camp Fires and Electric Blanket off the batteries at the off grid camp sites is what we use then get under the covers at night haha...

There is only the two of us so I guess having kids along would make for a totally different setup as far as heat would be concerned.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
We fill our 40lb tank 2-3 times per year, usually just 2. We're fulltimers and cook a lot. In summer the usage is minimal, but we also usually have hookups during that period. In winter we boondock a lot and the furnace sucks it down in cold weather. Outside of the furnace use is minimal.
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 100# of propane on my trailer and I didn't hardly make a dent in it over 2 weeks this summer. Running the furnace in the winter time uses up the fuel faster than anything else I run.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We get a month out of our two tanks easily -

The worst use is heat - which also kills the battery. We only use the heater when required to heat the camper before sleeping, and we dress warmly for bed, turn it on in the AM briefly to take off the chill.

We turn on the WH until hot, then shut off and use water as needed. As an ex-submarine sailor, fresh-water making was my job - so know how to take a "Navy Shower" - a very important skill in TC camping ... :):)
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
My use also seems to be about 1/4 gal per day. I rarely cook a meal on the stove. Usually just soup and morning tea. Run the water heater once every other day for a shower. Never use the oven. Turn on the furnace after getting out of bed.

BTW, I don't think a 5 gal tank can be filled to 5 gal, only to 4, to allow for possible high temperature expansion. If so, plan on more like 2+ weeks. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Thats about right for us also except in winter of which we actually use out TT more often, then its about a gal or so a day. I never turn the hwh off.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Ours varies greatly depending on the weather and jumped considerably when I stopped worrying about the power. We have had 10 day trips that required less furnace and we used a half a 20lb tank. We had a week this year that was cool and rainy during the day and cold at night, we went thru a full tank.

Out side of the furnace everything else is pretty constant. We run the HWH everyday before showers, frig on gas, cook inside and run the oven a few times a trip.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
That's about what we use in our truck camper too. We had a few nights of near freezing weather, furnace set for about 62, all meals cooked inside like you.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel