cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AZ-UT boondocking loop

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
We spent 10 days in June doing a loop from our home in So Cal, through AZ and as far as Valley of the Gods in UT. A total of 5 camps, spending a couple of days at each.

South of Williams AZ, we found plenty of dispersed camping sites along Dogtown Road. Sheep grazed nearby, and we could hear them bleating each night and morning as the shepherd dogs moved them around.

Moving a short distance northeast, we camped on the Cinder Mountain OHV area, which is near Sunset Crater. Seems the entire mountain is composed of cindered rock from the volcano eruptions. We liked it here, but our dog Mandolin did not. The sharp cinders irritated her webbed feet, so she limped around all the time and preferred staying inside.

Moving north, we setup camp in the Valley of the Gods, UT. Pretty sure we had the best site in the entire valley, but then there were plenty of sites available and few campers. Breathtaking view in every direction.

Turning our loop back southward, we setup just outside the entrance to North Rim Grand Canyon, AZ. At 9,100' elevation, the cool temps were a nice change compared to VotG. Campfires were helpful.

Heading back toward home, we spent another couple days in Williams, different campsite, but not by far. Didn't need to worry about solar anymore, as we were winding down, so we found a site with more shade than the previous.

Time to head down the road toward home.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver
10 REPLIES 10

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
MDKMDK wrote:
Just curious.
Have they fixed Hwy 89 between the Tuba City cutoff and Cameron? It got washed out last year when were down that way, and created an even bigger detour/headache to get from GCNR to GCSR. It collapsed a few years back just south of Page, and it took years to get around to fixing that one, thus my question.

I didn't notice anything, and I don't recall a detour. So it must be repaired. Lots of work ongoing around Flagstaff on I40.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful pictures of a great area.
Cal

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.
I want to go there.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.
Have they fixed Hwy 89 between the Tuba City cutoff and Cameron? It got washed out last year when were down that way, and created an even bigger detour/headache to get from GCNR to GCSR. It collapsed a few years back just south of Page, and it took years to get around to fixing that one, thus my question.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good planning.
I spent a month in a wall tent once outside Williams running a tree planting crew.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Good Loop, done it many times. VOG and N. Rim 2 of my favorite spots. Well done.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great trip report! Well done.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for sharing! Beautiful pictures.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad