cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad lands area

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a night at Cedar Pass Campground (in the Bad Lands Nat'l Park) before heading to a KOA at The Devils tower for another night, then off to Custer State Park, Blue Bell for 2 nights then Sylvan Lake for another night. From there we head to Spearfish Campground for 6 days of reunion-ing, various tours and food.
What are the must sees and does in these areas? Never been there and it's all new to us. 26" class C with no toad, but will have 2 e-bikes, so parking, tunnels, etc are considerations.
Thanks.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
38 REPLIES 38

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kuchen is 'cake' in German. They often have Kuchen und Coffee in the morning.

We have stayed at the Devils Tower KOA twice the last time they jacked the price up to $70/night and that was just about the last KOA we stayed at. I see they have added 'Holiday' to their names now and the minimum price is $55/night.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
We have a night at Cedar Pass Campground (in the Bad Lands Nat'l Park) before heading to a KOA at The Devils tower for another night, then off to Custer State Park, Blue Bell for 2 nights then Sylvan Lake for another night. From there we head to Spearfish Campground for 6 days of reunion-ing, various tours and food.
What are the must sees and does in these areas? Never been there and it's all new to us. 26" class C with no toad, but will have 2 e-bikes, so parking, tunnels, etc are considerations.
Thanks.

We stayed in a cabin in Badlands...the drives and the scenery are beautiful! There is a restaurant in the park and they had a delicious dessert called Kuchen. One day we drove to Wall's Drug nearby...that was fun. We have also stayed at the KOA at Devil's Tower...loved it...you are literally at the entrance to the Tower. Look for "prairie dog town" on the drive. And right across the road from the KOA is a neat general store.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Was 10 bucks in 2015 when I was there. Didn't bother me a bit.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We took the bus tour of Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse which included a lunch at CH.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
BTW, if you don't get to Wall Drug, it's no big deal. Definitely a "1 star" attraction in our book

Remember, opinions vary. You make the call.

I agree, but it’s one of those places you have to go to just to say “I’ve been there!”
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
BTW, if you don't get to Wall Drug, it's no big deal. Definitely a "1 star" attraction in our book

Remember, opinions vary. You make the call.

I agree, but it’s one of those places you have to go to just to say “I’ve been there!”
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
As for Devils Tower, the 'normal route' called Durance is pretty straight forward 5.7 crack climb, and is fun as long as you like a lot of crack and don't mind crowds.

I was never a great climber tho I met some, Royal Robins and others in Camp 4 at Yosemite. That was after the rangers broke up the place. The USN seemed to insist on taking up most of my time.
So I could lead maybe a 5.8 or so. My son is really into it tho, takes trips out to climbing areas during college breaks, his GF is the president of the local climbing club. Which in the flattest state doesn't amount to much past the climbing gyms.
Superbumper

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Even though I always have an (too cheap) annual pass, I don't object to paying money to the NPS and donate every year to the NPCA.

That said, the parking at Mt Rushmore is NOT the NPS but is a private company, Xanterra Resorts. I have no idea who they paid off to get the NPS to contract that out, but I highly object to paying a private company to park at a NPS monument. As far as I can remember, this is the only place I have had to pay to park at a National Park. That being said, this is all academic to me. I went 20 years ago, spent my 20 minutes there, left wondering what the point was, and don't plan on returning.

As for Devils Tower, the 'normal route' called Durance is pretty straight forward 5.7 crack climb, and is fun as long as you like a lot of crack and don't mind crowds.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarabooBob wrote:
I don't consider the parking fees excessive at Mt. Rushmore. People pay more than that for a couple of drinks and think nothing of it. I don't understand why people think that everything should be covered for life because of a free senior citizen pass or $80 yearly pass. RVing is an expensive hobby or lifestyle. Accept that and get the wallet out.

No thanks, I can tell you we don't pay that much for a couple of drinks, but we don't drink alcoholic beverages. And I do not want to pay $13 for something I don't really want to see in the first place. Last time I went was to take my youngest son who had not been to the place, everyone should see it once I guess.
And my main objection to the parking fees is that the NPS is trying to make you pay for something that Congress has said we do not have to pay for. It's well known that the NPS intensely dislikes all of the passes.
As for expecting 'stuff' for free, I paid in to the tax system for 40+ years plus buying park passes. I finally got a Interagency Access Pass based on VA disability rating so I certainly paid the hard way for that pass. And no I'm not looking for sympathy..heaven forfend.
Superbumper

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't consider the parking fees excessive at Mt. Rushmore. People pay more than that for a couple of drinks and think nothing of it. I don't understand why people think that everything should be covered for life because of a free senior citizen pass or $80 yearly pass. RVing is an expensive hobby or lifestyle. Accept that and get the wallet out.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
rbtglove wrote:
Many years ago Crazy Horse and Deadwood were 4 star places but they have become tourist traps. You can get a good view of Crazy Horse from the road and save a expensive entrance fee. Gambling has ruined Deadwood unless you like gambling. The boot hill cemtary is worth a short vist. "here lies Less More - four shots fro a 44 - no less no More!

Wrong Boot Hill. "No Les , No More" lies buried in Boot Hill at Tombstone, AZ.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWC I can go with that, Wall Drug is kitschy and they used to have signs all over the country---XXXX miles to Wall Drug and I grew up with those...heh. They don't seem to do it any more. But they occupied more of my mental space.
I am not intimately familiar with Custer. We stayed there once but it was looong ago, you probably have a better feel for the place. We went thru it a couple of years ago.
As for Devil's Tower, it just does not seem to be part of the Black Hills complex to me. But we've been there multiple times. Camped there a couple times and my son is a rock climber (I was but long ago) and he wants to climb it. We always do the loop trail an see the prairie dogs.
My objections to Rushmore are these:
The outrageous parking fees not covered by a park pass. What was it, $13?
Two I've been thru the museum/visitors center several times and have been underwhelmed. I can't say that any of the many visitor centers we've been to are very interesting. Why not hire some people to redo the displays, either good videos or animatronics maybe.
When you see the carvings you are far away, you can hold your hand up and cover them at arms length. Stone Mountain is just about more impressive but it isn't in the round.
The place is an absolute mob scene, that causeway was shoulder to should almost the full length.
I have not seen it from that tunnel mouth at sunset which I understand is quite a good view.
Lastly the rangers really irritated me when they tried to block off the roadway from which you can see the figures during that park closure years ago. Even tho the road isn't in the park, just out of spite so far as I could tell.

Frankel y I'm surprised we have not heard more from the statuary lovers, I thought there were more of them.
Superbumper

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Badlands 4 Stars
Wall Drug 2 stars
Minute Man 3 stars if silo tour included
Rushmore 2 stars
Crazy Horse 1 star
Two NM Caves 4 stars
Custer SP 4 stars
And lots of other small stuff

I largely agree with this, but would adjust slightly:

Badlands 4 Stars
Wall Drug 1 stars
Minute Man 3 stars if silo tour included
Rushmore 2 stars
Crazy Horse 1 star
Two NM Caves 4 stars
Custer SP Needles area - 4 stars
Rest of Custer SP - 3 stars
Devils tower - 3 Stars if you just look at it, 4 stars to hike around it, 5 stars if you climb it.

I have never understood the attraction of Mt Rushmore - it is a statue, you pay to park and get out of your car, you have seen it and then you are done. Other folks seem to feel differently.

rjr6150
Explorer
Explorer
I’m going to vote for Mt. Rushmore as five stars. One needs to attend the evening lighting ceremony. They ask and honor every past and current service person by asking them to come down to the stage. Will bring tears to anyone that’s patriotic.
Randy & Kathy
2016 F350 CC SWB 6.7 Platinum with a few mods
08 F350 CC SWB Lariat 6.4 PSD
Pull Rite Superglide 18K
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago Crazy Horse and Deadwood were 4 star places but they have become tourist traps. You can get a good view of Crazy Horse from the road and save a expensive entrance fee. Gambling has ruined Deadwood unless you like gambling. The boot hill cemtary is worth a short vist. "here lies Less More - four shots fro a 44 - no less no More!
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230