cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bar Harbor Campground

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
There is a campground in Bar Harbor called Bar Harbor Campground. If anyone is knowledge about this campground could they help me out? This campground does not accept reservations. My husband and I are considering making a last minute trip to Bar Harbor, and I was thinking I might be hard pressed to find a campground at the last minute. So, this campground would seem to be ideal. If anyone has been here, could you fill me in on how are chances would be to get a site? We are flexible on dates, so is arriving on one day of the week better than another day in order to get a site?

Thank you for the help.
Kathy
18 REPLIES 18

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you once again for all of the helpful information on the campgrounds and the shuttles. And, the lobster dinners.
Kathy

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
We have stayed there. We were just traveling w/o reservations and they told us the best time to get a site was in the AM when people were checking out. We showed up and the guy at the desk said there were several sites coming open and to drive around until we found one, claim it and then come back to the office to check in.
It is not the most picturesque CG we have stayed in, but we only slept there. Back then it was 40 dollars and no credit cards. "Yes Mr IRS Man, it was slow this season and we really didn't make much money." ๐Ÿ˜‰ Not sure if that was for a tax dodge or just to simplify books and finances. Nice folks
About 99% sure it worked out to be a tax dodge. That might not be the intent (most likely intent is the owners live in the 19th century and somehow believe no credit cards simplify the business) but it is almost incomprehensible that all the cash gets accurately reported. It's just too easy to pocket some, to pay bills and not enter the transaction, to have the staff skim the till etc. It is a very ill conceived plan. Today, many people travel with only small amounts of cash, very few can pay cash for a week's stay without a visit to an ATM, which gives them a reason to go elsewhere. To others, it just feels shady.
The IRS takes an extra long look at cash businesses. A business that takes only cash out of an industry that does close to 90% of it's revenue in credit cards would instantly be selected for scrutiny by their computers. Nobody wants an IRS audit and a cash only policy is an engraved invitation.
Finally, skimming cash lowers the profits the business reports dollar for dollar. That annual profit is the number that forms the basis of the value of the business. If the park skimmed $10,000 in cash, they would have saved around $2500 in state and local taxes. That same $10,000 reported as higher gross profit would equate to an $80,000 to $100,000+ increase in selling price. You have to save that $2500 for a whole lot of years before you have saved more in taxes than the value of the park has been diminished.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Just a note about the free shuttles (Island Explorer) in Acadia park - they can be a long wait at the bus stops. When we were ready to do things, the shuttles were never around.

We just drove around with our pickup truck... not sure what you have, anything bigger like a Class A or C would be difficult. Class B wouldn't be bad, and would be nice to have a mobile "base" for exploring.

Just be aware most of Bar Harbor is now "pay for parking"

https://www.barharbormaine.gov/400/Parking-Information

The Parking rates range from $1.50 per hour to $2.00 per hour with certain high demand areas having 4 hour limits and the other areas with no limits. All major credit/debit cards will be accepted as well as US quarters but no paper money. Paid parking will be enforced between the hours of 9 AM to 8 PM, Monday through Saturday and 12 PM to 8 PM on Sunday from May 15th to October 31st.

Also be aware of the dates of the Bar Harbor Cruise Ships 2019 large cruise ship dockings. They can unload thousands into the city and pretty much overwhelm things We found the same problem in Portland.
2017 LTV Unity

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
We were just there last week, and I wouldnโ€™t think you would have any problem getting a spot for the next few weeks at least. I would just call ahead a few times to check their availability and go.

Itโ€™s still early spring up there, raining regularly, and I think the locals refer to this time of year as โ€œmud seasonโ€. The black flies werenโ€™t horrible, but they were there.

The visitors to Acadia are just starting to ramp up. The horse drawn carriages in the park werenโ€™t running when we were there due to the muddy conditions in certain areas, but the hiking and carriage trails we went on were fine. Plenty to do in the park and local area.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note about the free shuttles (Island Explorer) in Acadia park - they can be a long wait at the bus stops. When we were ready to do things, the shuttles were never around.

We just drove around with our pickup truck... not sure what you have, anything bigger like a Class A or C would be difficult. Class B wouldn't be bad, and would be nice to have a mobile "base" for exploring.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
when are you coming up? We are in site X22 so stop by and say hi. the Island Explorer is a free shuttle and stops at the campground and takes you to to Acadia and from there you can get on a another Island Explorer to go to Bar Harbor or any where else on the island, it starts running on June 23. there are a few places close by that will deliver lobster to the campground or you can just stop in and take it back. there is also real good ice cream you can walk to from the campground.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Chris3403,

Does the campground deliver the lobster dinner or do you order from an outside source?
Kathy

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
cruising spud wrote:
CloudDriver,

I have read that Bar Harbor has a shuttle. Did you take the shuttle, while you were in the area?

Bar Harbor Campground website shows that there is a free shuttle service available in season. We didn't use that as we like to have our RV facilities with us. There is a shuttle system in Acadia National Park as well.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
cruising spud wrote:
CloudDriver,

I have read that Bar Harbor has a shuttle. Did you take the shuttle, while you were in the area?

I stayed there for 15 nights. They take cash or check no cc. They have a shuttle, I didn't use it.

We had 2 different sites for our stay. Didn't have a problem getting a site.

Make sure you get the Lobster dinner delivered to your site. 2 lobsters, 2 ears of corn and 2 pounds of mussels. It was 34.95 delivered to the site back about 4 years ago.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver,

Kathy

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed 5 nights at Bar Harbor Campground last September. We arrived on the 18th, a Tuesday. First and last nights FHU for $44 and other 3 nights no hookup for $34. We paid by personal check. We drove up from Camden, ME and probably arrived early afternoon. No issue with getting a site. The office gave us a wooden "occupied" sign and told us to drive around to select a site, leave the sign on the picnic table and come back to register.

If you want to visit the town of Bar Harbor and don't have a toad, here's how we have always found parking for our Class C. From Bar Harbor Campground (assuming you stay there) take route 3 and turn left at Bar Harbor St. Go several blocks to just past Catholic Church and turn right onto Ledgelawn Ave. Go several blocks and turn left onto Park St. Go past the park with ball fields and turn right onto Main St. There is a wide shoulder alongside the park used for RV parking.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone with the responses. So, we need to get there early in the morning. Guess I'll give them a call to see if one day of the week is slower than another. I do have a few other campgrounds that I might try to call, too. Thanks to all.
Kathy

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
Back then it was 40 dollars and no credit cards. "Yes Mr IRS Man, it was slow this season and we really didn't make much money." ๐Ÿ˜‰ Not sure if that was for a tax dodge or just to simplify books and finances. Nice folks

My guess is it's to avoid the credit card processing fees that businesses have to pay. Unless they don't deposit the cash in a bank account (and so pay employees and bills with the cash), it's doubtful it is a tax dodge, in my opinion. Chances are they aren't getting filthy rich after expenses in any case.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guess we are very lucky. No Bar Harbor campgrounds for us, our good friends live just slightly NW of there and have a huge drive and pad for us to 'camp' on.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB