cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bears in Topsail Hill State Park Florida

DAVES04RV
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back today from a 16 day vacation at Topsail Hill State Park Florida and had several reported ranger or camper reported bear sightings in and around the campground area or on the shuttle road to the beach during our stay. We had a large black bear stroll the campground late yesterday beginning from site 123 to behind our site 160 and behind other sites thru 168. You don't have to go to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to enjoy the wildlife now!
David "enjoying retirement"
2006 Ford F250 V-10
2004 Airstream 25' Classic
23 REPLIES 23

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
kodiak 308 wrote:
This doesn't came as a surprise since all along the coast from Pensacola to Apalachicola bears are seen frequently. Panama City area has several instances a year where they get into garbage cans and wander thru back yards. In the last couple of years there have been many sightings further inland close to the Alabama state line. Florida FWC would tell you different but then they are the same folks that told us alligators were endangered.

I am not sticking up for FWC but alligators WERE, at one time, endangered.

Bears have become much more prevalent over the entire state of Florida, not just in the panhandle. They are now being seen in populated areas much more frequently.

They are very common in central/south Florida, as evidenced by "Bears Crossing" signs that have been along US 27 south of Sebring. They have been there for years.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

kodiak_308
Explorer
Explorer
This doesn't came as a surprise since all along the coast from Pensacola to Apalachicola bears are seen frequently. Panama City area has several instances a year where they get into garbage cans and wander thru back yards. In the last couple of years there have been many sightings further inland close to the Alabama state line. Florida FWC would tell you different but then they are the same folks that told us alligators were endangered.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't been able to go anywhere this year. We had a blonde colored bear near the house this spring. he was travekling through, followin the RxR tracks, perhaps. One or two have been seen most springs or falls. I wouldn't mind if a couple settled in the little cove where the spring flow from. Living with such creatures requiers adapataion though.
They are their on person and strong. They eat mostly berries and forbs.
We have huge American Chestnu tree, and several others down the ridge that ber heavily. Need to set our some wild pecans and others.
Before we moved here our Neighbor has a ccast of a female mountain lion, that was mad just above us on the ridge. Someone had seen her and a cub. TWR said the cast was of a between 150 and 175 lb female. that;s a large cat, and the cub. Ranger said they constantly patrol a huge area. So if someone has not shot her perhpas she will return, It has been six years. If the Bears settle in or the Cougar comes back I'll only tell the neighbor since he has calves.
Last year something dug up a hornet nest the other side of the crik. Left a huge hole going after thm. Might have been a bear,

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
I mentioned this to the DW and she commented that she wished we was there to see the bear. But I would have to be between her and the bear.

We was at Sam Houston Jones State Park in Louisiana two days ago nd she was able to pet a fawn that walked right up to her. We saw 8 deer in about an hour while walking early in the morning.

This is why we like the State or National Parks to see the wildlife.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Wow really?, we were camp hosting in westmoreland state park, and saw dear come up to the mh, and in Chippokes state park, there lots of turkey's, nobody we knew, or worked with. Wow rite here in the east coast, we were finished after oct. And now it all happy-camping

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
Why shoot it? We are in their environment. Unless it proves to be a problem, other than moving around, we should leave it alone. Respect it, but leave it alone.
As much as they give me the willies, I feel the same way about snakes. Living on a Tennessee mountaintop, we see copperheads and timber rattlesnakes in abundance. As long as they stay out in the acreage we get along just fine. I did have to show a wayward copperhead a new home when he decided to lay in wait in my flowerbed next to the front walkway. The same with a timber rattler who though living under our back porch was the place to be.
Leaving them alone to their own devices keeps my house and grounds relatively free of mice and rats.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the solution - the buddy system. You don't have to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun you're buddy.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
Why shoot it? We are in their environment. Unless it proves to be a problem, other than moving around, we should leave it alone. Respect it, but leave it alone.
No,a campground is OUR environment.Theirs is in the bayou,swamp or lake.

The bears were there long before the campground was built. I'd say WE are the intruders.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
No,a campground is OUR environment.Theirs is in the bayou,swamp or lake.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
I thought we were talkin about BEARS?

We are.

Posters are talking about shooting a bear just because it is in a campground. Another posters wife was "freaking out."

I posted some things that we really need to be worried about.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
I thought we were talkin about BEARS?
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
I was hosting at St. Andrews State Park in Panama City, FL last year and a 9' alligator walked through my site and several others two days in a row. That was exciting to say the least. We didn't see it again after those two days. The park did move some tent campers to another site after the first day.

They should have shot it.But no,they'll wait until someone dies.

Over the past30 years:

Average Deaths Per Year --Alligators- Florida = 2

Average Deaths Per Year -- Lighting- Florida= 5

Average Deaths Per Year -- Car Accidents- Florida = 2500

Which one should I worry about?
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
I was hosting at St. Andrews State Park in Panama City, FL last year and a 9' alligator walked through my site and several others two days in a row. That was exciting to say the least. We didn't see it again after those two days. The park did move some tent campers to another site after the first day.

They should have shot it.But no,they'll wait until someone dies.