cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Becoming an Elk

gwol
Explorer
Explorer
A friend said I should consider becoming an Elk. Supposedly they have campgrounds all over the country and fairly inexpensive. Has anyone stayed at an Elk RV camp and do you need to be an Elk to camp at their camp sites.
1995 Carriage Callist Cove.
My Dinghy
30 REPLIES 30

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
A story: One day at the Boulder City, NV lodge a member of that lodge said to me (he knew I had a RV in their park). "Bobbie see those 14 RV sites?" "Yes" "they pay for 100% of the lodge expenses and we use our other income to support the Elks and community. So even if you just stop for a night you help out.

Have stayed there many times. Debbie is GREAT!! Be there 12/23/14

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
rv2go wrote:
Being able to stay in an Elks's RV park should not be the only reason you should want to be an Elk.

X2

There is much more to being an Elk than joining to just use the parking/camping facilities.

X3

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Plus all of the modest CG charges are donations to a non profit organization and hence they are part of our income taxes every year.

I assume you mean you deduct the donations. But that "donation" is associated with receiving the benefit of an RV space, and if a benefit comes with a donation, the donation is not 100% tax deductible.

This is from the IRS website:

If you receive or expect to receive a financial or economic benefit as a result of making a contribution to a qualified organization, you cannot deduct the part of the contribution that represents the value of the benefit you receive.

I think this example of a contribution that isn't 100% deductible is instructive:

Contributions to a retirement home for room, board, maintenance, or admittance. Also, if the amount of your contribution depends on the type or size of apartment you will occupy, it is not a charitable contribution.

You can deduct the amount of the donation that exceeds the value of the RV space, but since Elks generally charge less than other places in the area for their RV spaces, I don't see how there could be much (or any) excess.

Really, there's no difference between the charge for an RV space and the charge for renting the lodge ballroom for a wedding reception, and you know that's not tax deductible.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
As a side benefit many Elks lodges offer some to none RV parking. They offer a variety of hookups. Some have several spots and others have 1 or 2. It's done for members and their guests. It always nice to leave a donation to the host lodge.
Some lodges don't offer any Rv parking as they usually don't have the Room or they are like the Lodge in Flagstaff Az. where they sit in the middle of a few acres and forbid overnight parking because they have members in the RV park business and want to force RVers to park at their members establishment. Just sayin.
jwmII

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a member of the Elks and the VFW. Both offer hook-ups to a limited extent. Most that do offer a parking spot for the night and elect. Just be sure to check with the particular location you are headed to. And don't expect too much other than good comradery and fellowship.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking this might be a great opportunity to share what it is the Elk's do. Besides offering the occasional RV site, of course! :).

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about joining the Elks as I have a number of friends that belong to the local lodge and I get to hear about the great things they do. They also have a nice lodge with good food and entertainment and a great little rv park.Another thing is that we often see Elks club RV groups when we're out camping and they really look like they're having fun.
It can't just be about the rv parks that are free or inexpensive,it's also about doing good and having fun while doing it.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Some offensive posts have been deleted from this thread. I hope we can now continue with a civil discussion.

Thank You,
Sandi (Moderator)
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Right on Bro:):):) Fellow Elk in Calif.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just held a fund raiser that will help dozens of needy families food supplies for the holidays. Idaho ELKS are raising funds for a rehab hospital in Southern Idaho that is open to anyone needing care. The Idaho lodges have had this hospital in operation for years.

Our lodge has 30 sites on grass, water & elec. and it's usually busy in the summer months with nice people wanting to travel and have fun.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that the Legion also has places to park. We are Masons and if we are stuck for a place to stay, I'm not opposed to calling a local lodge and asking if we can park in their lot. If they have one they usually welcome us. Its dry but it's fine.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Elk lodges campgrounds

I think this link will help you find a lodge with a campground.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
PAWDWCamper wrote:
I honestly never knew they had campgrounds at other lodges, but now I will be looking for them.
Your lodge or a member likely has copies of the guides that you could review or buy. The guides list all lodges and those with RV parking have more detail. The profit from these guides is used to help children, etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

PAWDWCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a member of BPOE 1173 for 13 years and I will say they are a great organization. Almost everyone in our lodge is there to help someone or something. It's not for everyone, but I am proud to be a member.
I honestly never knew they had campgrounds at other lodges, but now I will be looking for them.