cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best camping in CA? Bang for buck?

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in CA in monterey and everything is so expensive. Where is there decent cheap camping where I can stay around a month without paying an arm and a leg? (Looking for around 500/month). Don't want to be in the desert. Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
I just left socal from las vegas through majavi desert and it was scorching. I will have to try again in the winter. Thanks for the suggestions yall!

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
If you can live without power, look into forest service campgrounds in Sierras or Northern CA. At least you can stay 14 days and move. If a senior, often half price. If you're looking for RV park, look towards rural N. CA or NE CA, preferably above 5000 ft. to keep cooler. There's off chance you can find something in NW CA if far from big attractions. The central valley or desert could work too but you're not looking for that.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
From Nov. to April is a great time to be in the desert.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Most campgrounds west of Hwy 1, Hwy 101 or I-5 will be way over $500 per month or restricted to 7 or 14 day maximum stay and then you have to move elsewhere for a month.

East of I-5 away from large cities you may find something for around $500 per month. Some mobile home parks have pads for RVs that are reasonable.

There are lots of boondocking areas but most of those have a length of stay restriction.

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome suggestions. I will take any kind of camping so long as a dump station and water fill not too far away.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend you get a map of California, draw a line from west to east just above Sacramento, and investigate everything north of the line.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of camping? There are tons of free beautiful campgrounds on public lands (not to mention boondocking).

Hookups (or not), I would try the Sierras. Cool mountain breezes, away from the expensive coast and hot inland.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
kyle86 wrote:
I'm in CA in monterey and everything is so expensive. Where is there decent cheap camping where I can stay around a month without paying an arm and a leg? (Looking for around 500/month). Don't want to be in the desert. Any suggestions?

Desert areas are best price choices. Look in areas in the country and small towns. I like Anza Borrego , south of Indio. Stay away from any ocean areas. Stay away from any KOA's. Look in central calif. rural areas.