cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best lobster in Maine

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Maine next month staying in Bar Harbor, Boothbay and Old Orchard Beach. Looking for best places to eat! Thanks,
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
58 REPLIES 58

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
navybanker wrote:
Well back from trip to New England and Red's Eats is the one for lobster rolls! Took about an hour and a half but worth the wait. Also toured a mansion while in the town where Red's is located and very interesting. Thanks for the tips!

I hope the Lobster roll was better than the seafood from Tennessee! ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B

Glad you enjoyed our corner of the country! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Well back from trip to New England and Red's Eats is the one for lobster rolls! Took about an hour and a half but worth the wait. Also toured a mansion while in the town where Red's is located and very interesting. Thanks for the tips!
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
drenjoey wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
Find a place that steams their lobsters in seawater and you'll be amazed by the incredible flavor. KOA Oceanfront in Bar Harbor has a guy that comes into the CG every afternoon and does just that. Doesn't get any better!

Living in Maine, we do that very often. We go buy a few lobsters and stop at the beach to pick up buckets of ocean water......Bring everything home and have a feast.

Don't forget to add seaweed to that seawater! Put the lobsters on top of the seaweed and steam them until bright red, not boil them in the water. None of that rich flavor boils away - incredible!
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
Find a place that steams their lobsters in seawater and you'll be amazed by the incredible flavor. KOA Oceanfront in Bar Harbor has a guy that comes into the CG every afternoon and does just that. Doesn't get any better!

Living in Maine, we do that very often. We go buy a few lobsters and stop at the beach to pick up buckets of ocean water......Bring everything home and have a feast.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
$5.99 per pound a the local supermarket this weekend. We each had 2 for dinner and I predict more before the weekend's out ๐Ÿ˜‰

Michelle
2017 LTV Unity

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
paulcardoza wrote:

And if you don't stay at the KOA (we do!) the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound just up the road towards Trenton steams 'em outside in salt water in big pots over wood fires for all to see! Yum! and if you crave lobster rolls they serve lobster (or delicious crab) sandwiches on home made bread ('cause that's the way Mother used to make them!).
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:

Steam, NOT boil. Seawater sounds good, yet to try that, but do like them steamed in B E E R.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
For lobster rolls, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Eagle's Nest in Brewer (but then, it's not exactly in a tourist area ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Michelle
2017 LTV Unity

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
Near Acadia is Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. I think they have the sweetest lobster from their boats that travel a little further offshore. They are just before the bridge from Trenton to Mt. Desert Island (Bar Harbor). They have tables inside and outside.

Lobster are caught in areas they inhabit. They only head to deeper water late in the year. Dropping traps where they don't habitate results in low, if any yield. We visit Narrows II CG, and do enjoy a feed at TBL, but don't find any difference in sweetness. Might be imagination or simple Downeast baloney served to tourists by the crew at TBL. Please keep coming to Maine. We need the tourist economy, and if I may say, for a tourist destination, we are comparatively very affordable.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Here are 2 that I like.

Pine Tree Seafood & Produce Co in Scarborough, ME, just a couple of miles North of Old Orchard Beach on Rt 1. Take out only. Their lobster roll is better than Red's!!! Traditional lobster rolls in New England are on a toasted hot dog roll. Pine Tree uses a 9 inch hoagie roll with the sides trimmed off so it looks like a BIG hot dog roll, buttered and toasted, filled with chunks of lobster mixed with a little mayo and some hot butter drizzled on top. You can also get fresh lobster (pick your size) and they will cook it free and wrap it to go.

Near Acadia is Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. I think they have the sweetest lobster from their boats that travel a little further offshore. They are just before the bridge from Trenton to Mt. Desert Island (Bar Harbor). They have tables inside and outside.

Edit to add: Trenton Bridge is closed most Sundays.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

char158
Explorer
Explorer
You all are making me want to go to Maine right now!!!

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
The_Painting_Teacher wrote:
An institution in Maine for lobster rolls (with an accompanying line of 25 - 50 yards) is RED'S EATS located in Wiscasset. As you descend the hill in downtown Wiscasset before you cross the river, it is found on the left coming from the south. It on Rte 1 a short distance before you leave Rte 1 to take a right for Boothbay Harbor. Enjoy

Absolutely the place to go..1 1/2 lbs on a roll..nothing else...butter ,mayo and lettuce on the side...sold 11 ton of lobster and 3 ton of butter last year....for Lobster Roll this is the place
Chuck

Their Lobster rolls are good but there are other places in Maine that are just as good. Publicity brought Red's Eats to where they are today. As a Mainer who had my good share of lobster rolls, I can I can say the place is overrated.

MissouriBird
Explorer
Explorer
The Lobster Shack at Cape Porpose is wonderful. Classic Maine Lobster Shack overlooking the bay and just down the road from the Bush Family Summer Home at Kennebunkport. We love to sit out at the picnic tables, watch the boats bring fresh lobster in, and enjoy our meals.
Nomads at heart