cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Bend NP... Comments or Opinions?

RV_Nomads
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting in Beaumont TX waiting for the sleet to subside. Looking to visit Big Bend NP in mid Feb. Any comments or opinions? Thanks in advance!
13 REPLIES 13

TexasH
Explorer
Explorer
We went in April a couple of years ago. Weather was wonderful - warm, but not too hot. All the desert cacti were in bloom. Beautiful time to be there. We have also been in September and it was nice weather, but not quite as beautiful without the cactus blooms.

We like to stay at Big Bend RV Resort in Terlinqua, on the west side of the park, about 10 minutes from the park entrance. Not really a resort, but they have full hookups, decent size campsites, and there are some limited services nearby - a couple of restaurants, fuel station, grocery, churches, hardware store, etc. None of that is available at Rio Grande Village.
2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were there in later May a couple years ago. The place was almost empty & hot. Beautiful in its own way I guess but no match IMO to the parks of Utah.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
What about June in Big Bend? Is it already too hot then or no? Trying to plan a trip and June seems to be the earliest we will be able to go. Sure don't want to be there july, august, or sept.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

bgholson
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for bad weather just in case! Have been "sleeted in" during March while in the basin. Easy to remember cause I was tent camping on a motorcycle! You just never know what weather to count on at that time of year. Remains one of my favorite places to go.
2003 HR Imperial 40 PKDD

stuckinthesand
Explorer
Explorer
2nd the Rio Grande village campground, it will be cold up in the basin. About half of the campground is generator free zone. Big Bend is awesome to visit any time of year IMO. If you find you need hook-ups just head out the west end of the park and stay in Study Butte RV or go on down a little into Terlingua, several parks along the way to choose from. Forecast looks good for the next few days.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you're asking about campgrounds, we always stay at Rio Grande Village dry campground - big sites, awesome views. Right next door is Rio Grande RV, a concessionier, with full hookups and RVs are parked in a straight line. Cottonwood campground is beautiful but no generators are allowed. Chisos campground is also dry camping but there is a RV length restriction because of the tight curves getting up to the campground. The sites are also on the small size unless that would work for you. Have fun..it's a favorite place of ours.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
The birding will be good, too!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

LewBob
Explorer
Explorer
I'm willing to bet the weather will be great and lots of flowers blooming.

Lew

2015 Casita Freedom Deluxe
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jan. to April, is the busy season for B.B.

This is when the Big Bend Bluebonnets are out.
Should be good this year.

Have a good trip.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
to give a short reply, mid to late February SHOULD be nice, some wildflowers and a little green tinge showing here and there. But with the crazy weather, who can say for for sure.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am the self-appointed board FAQ.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman, you are so 'green', always recycling old threads. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2oldman