cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Meadows Shenandoah National Park

pvanderhulst
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of camping here next summer but need help on the campsites. What sites have a view of the parkway? Are any of these sites large and secluded?
Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up very fortunate. The park opened back up on Thursday and we were able to make our trip Friday thru Sunday. The place was gorgeous and we even got to see a bear climbing a tree.

We were in the generator free zone, but there were two campers outside of the generator free zone running generators maybe 50 yards from us. A Class C and a Class B. Boy those built in generators sure are loud. A few travel trailers and 5th wheels had the Honda inverter generators and you could barely hear them at all. The built-ins were another story. They allow you to run them 4pm thru 9pm during the fall evenings and 8am to 10am in the morning. These people pulled in the same time as us around 3pm, 4pm sharp they are both in their units generators blasting away. At 9:20pm, the ranger finally came around and told them to shut them off. 7am the next morning and the generators are screaming again. I don't understand, they just got to the park, they should arrive with full battery power. We have no generator and (2) 6V GC135's. We have converted to all LED lighting for maybe $65 on evay. We had all the light we wanted, the heat on for two nights, watched a movie on TV Friday night, watched the Today show Sunday morning, ran the water pump for (4) peoples worth of showers, toilet, and dishes, and left with the battery meter reading 2/3 state of charge. If you have a generator and want to fire it up long enough to run the microwave or make a pot of coffee fine. If you need to charge your batteries up for a few hours after your first night to make it thru the 2nd night then I get that also. But if you need to run your generator for the better part of 7 hours every day with no regard for the people around you (especially those in pop-ups and tents) then perhaps you should consider staying in a full hook-up campground somewhere off the mountain. I never so much as saw these people outside of their camper except when they first arrived and when they left.

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
The path the the walk-in sites is from the parking area for the walk-in sites. You will not have people walking thru your site to the tent sites. We are booked there for this coming weekend if the government opens back up in time ๐Ÿ˜ž

pvanderhulst
Explorer
Explorer
The generator noise is a consideration. Where is the path to the walk in sites? I have a dog and don't like people walking thru my site. Thanks.

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
It also depends on how you will be camping. We always stay on A loop to be in the "Generator Free Zone". There are a few RV sites on the A-loop that back-up to the woods and are quite secluded. That E180 site is nice but you never know what type of screaming generator the guy in the site next to you will pull up with. We personally dont care to go there to hear a construction generator scream on the site next to us. Even at that many of the sites in this area are still close to generator allowed sites. I'm fine with allowing generators but I believe they should limit them to inverter generators and built-in units.

vjm1639
Explorer
Explorer
I have several pictures from the campground at Big Meadows. If you would like to see what it looks like send me a pm. Vicki.
Vicki

pvanderhulst
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to both of you.

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on E180, but I think it's the most "in demand" campsite at Big Meadows, so reserve ASAP! However, no matter which site, it's a beautiful place with deer wandering through the campground, along with an occasional bear. A short walk up to the Lodge affords one magnificent views of the Shenandoah Valley below - also a very good restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Reserve America does a pretty good job describing each campsite, so you ought to be able to find one that suits.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
None of the sites have a view of the parkway - they are more than 1/2 a mile away - off the main road. I think secluded and "view of the parkway" are mutually exclusive, but I could be wrong.
None of the sites are particularly private. If you have a smaller rig/tt or a tent, you can camp along the mountain edge right next to the Appalachian Trail - E180 is the best site if you can fit.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road