cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike trails

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
Down in the keys and looking for summer travel ideas. We just got bikes so looking for pretty level bike trails. We're open, but Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois are states were thinking of this summer. As always thanks for the suggestions.
2015 31ft Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel w/3 slides
2015 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Short Bed Diesel Crew Cab
1 Cat
Fulltiming since Oct 06 - Sold the Stick House
9 REPLIES 9

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
All the states the OP mentioned are hot and humid in summer. Why not come to the cool, colorful Colorado Rockies for the summer? Hundreds of miles of old narrow-gauge railroad grades to bike, some climbing over the Continental Divide, but others with fairly gentle grades. Plus hundreds of miles of designated bike paths going just about anywhere you want to go. Colorado is, after all, the original site of the Red Zinger, Coors Classic, and US Pro Challenge bike races and the home of Olympic and professional bike racers like Davis and Taylor Phinney and Connie Carpenter!

Amazon sells a book of route maps called Colorado Biking Trails that will get you started. And if you need some driving route help plus dispersed- boondocking, campground, and sightseeing ideas, see my blog HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
Though not mentioned in your list of states but mentioned by soren is South Dakota. We enjoyed the Mickelson Trail that run for 109 miles through the Black Hills.

https://www.traillink.com/trail/george-s-mickelson-trail/

Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
A bike trail we enjoyed in Alabama is the Chief Ladiga Trail with continues east as the Silver Comet Trail into Georgia. We rode the Alabama section which was once a railway converted to bike/hiking trail and so is fairly level. About 61 miles total of both trails.

https://www.trails.com/us/al/talladega-national-forest/chief-ladiga-trail

Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
LBL in Kentucky has a paved trail in the north end and a packed gravel trail more in the center that runs about 11 miles. Both have some hills, but nothing crazy.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

soren
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Dick B's comments. We spend our winters near the Withlachochee trail. It's a great trail. That said, I can't imagine being anywhere near the area, in mid-summer. 100 degrees and/or 100% humidity isn't something I would do intentionally, which is why we ride the northern half of the states, once spring rolls around.

Last year we did a month of Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and South Dakota. We stuck to rail trails, spent a few days in each location, and had a great time. Plenty of ways to do the research and reviews online. We are members of the railstotrails.org which has great info. for finding trails to suit your needs. Have a great summer.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I assume you are riding the trail along US1 in the keys. As posted above, I also have a copy of Florida's paved bike trails.... has lots of good ideas and places to explore.
We go to Maine pretty much every summer and ride the carriage roads in Acadia National Park. While they really aren't level, they were built for horse and buggies, so the grades aren't really bad, although , coming from florida, they seemed like it at first. I think there is about 40 miles of carriage roads in the park.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There is a book called Florida's Paved Bike Trails. We have a couple of favorites: Withlacoochee State Trail and the Pinellas Trail. We stay in nearby campgrounds and ride almost the entire length of the trails over a few days. We also know where the good restaurants are along the trails.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Level is nice but you wonโ€™t improve without hills. Learn to spin.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I use Traillink to find bike trails. It sounds like you want rail trails for nearly level pedaling.