cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bikes for trip to Yellowstone and Utah

FruithurstFam
Explorer
Explorer
We're trying to decide if we need to bring our bikes for a trip to Yellowstone and the national parks in Utah. We're not mountain bikers but we do enjoy nice road routes of 20 miles or less. Just wondering if we'll miss the bikes if we leave them at home or if they'll stay on the truck most of the time while we're at the parks.
15 REPLIES 15

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
A friend at work took his sons and their bikes to Yellowstone a couple years ago. They would ride about 30 miles per day from campground to campground. They were tent camping with all their gear on the bike and in the bike trailer with them. Spent a week there and still didn't see it all. He is a very serious rider who races both road and mountain bike runs. Of all his trips he said he was only concerned once and they were able to turn and ride back away from the trouble. It is doable, but not sure you're looking for this level of commitment
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
There is noway that a THREE FOOT passing space is available in Yellowstone. Especially towing a trailer that 8' wide. Its bad enough with a person on the road side that has TO HAVE THAT SPECIAL PHOTO. And if a wild animal gets spooked, and charges, where are you going to GO on that bike? Think twice about the ride.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, I do not think it would be safe to ride bikes in Yellowstone due to traffic and animals.

klm
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone - no. Grand Tetons - yes. Zion - yes. Take 'em
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone is not bicycle friendly as has been pointed out, but Grand Teton National Park has a superb bike path.

It is possible to bike the full 20 miles from Jackson to Jenny lake in the park on a dedicated bicycle path away from all automobile traffic. From there you can ride painted bike lanes to String Lake.

There are also several dirt roads that are great for mountain bikes.
2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
FruithurstFam wrote:
We're trying to decide if we need to bring our bikes for a trip to Yellowstone and the national parks in Utah. We're not mountain bikers but we do enjoy nice road routes of 20 miles or less. Just wondering if we'll miss the bikes if we leave them at home or if they'll stay on the truck most of the time while we're at the parks.

Most of the responses appear to be from mountain/trail bikers, and you sound like a road biker to me ("nice road routes of 20 miles or less"). Road biking and trailing biking are very different sports.

Although I have both kinds of bikes, I am a road biker at heart and prefer long distance rides on asphalt. Having been to the 5 NP's in S. Utah I would love to return, this time with my 27-speed road bike and do some road work in each park...not interested in riding trails on my trail bike. Each park has good asphalt roads inside the parks. Great scenery, hills, and altitude for a great workout.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Buffalo, bears and bikes just don't mix well.

FruithurstFam
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
It's just not worth getting run over by someone who is looking at a animal near the road.

Keith

We almost got into a 25-bike pileup at Cade's Cove a few years ago when all those in front of us stopped to watch a bear. I thought of that when I read your post. I appreciate all the advice. I think we'll take them along--we've got room and I know we would regret not having them more than having them and not using them, especially outside of Yellowstone. Thanks again!

newk
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:

Yellowstone.... There are no bike paths and all the roads are 2 lane with a bunch of traffic. I have seen bicycles in Yellowstone, but would not ride one there myself and we do carry bikes with us. It's just not worth getting run over by someone who is looking at a animal near the road.

Keith

X2

When I've seen bicyclists in Yellowstone I have to shake my head. It's just not safe for lots of reasons.

davidmsparks
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed your post, we just went to Zion and Grand Canyon. bikes are worth every pain the rear at Zion, you can put them on the bus go up the canyon and ride back .. we use foldable bikes

check out my blog on bike project

http://rvbicycleproject.blogspot.com/

David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can rent bikes just out side of Zion. So if your tight on room leave them home and rent where you want ride.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zion NP has real nice bike trails and the upper canyon roads are only for the park buses so bikes are pretty safe on the road.

Yellowstone is a completely different situation. There are no bike paths and all the roads are 2 lane with a bunch of traffic. I have seen bicycles in Yellowstone, but would not ride one there myself and we do carry bikes with us. It's just not worth getting run over by someone who is looking at a animal near the road.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If you travel like we do most of the time, we have just enough time to do shuttle bus, walking and tours with our tow vehicle (2 to 3 days) and then leave.

Yellowstone is a big place so it takes time to get from one must see to the next.

If you're going to have plenty of time I would take the bikes...nice trails and bike paths available.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of depends on whether you want to hike in addition. We do two- or three-hour hikes and wouldn't necessarily feel like riding the bikes back to the campground afterwards. Otherwise, it might be kind of fun to have the bikes along!
๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn