cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Rock Mountain State Park, Georgia

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone camped here in a larger TT? Looking at the pictures and reading the descriptions I know we would love this CG. However Georgia State Parks don't offer site specific reservations and I can't find any way to get specific site dimensions. We have a 29' TT. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9
11 REPLIES 11

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
There isn't a significant difference in temperature between Black Rock and Tallulah Gorge cg as Tallulah is also on a mountain. We've been to both in 90+ temps in July. Tallulah was 89, Black Rock was 88 on the same day. Tallulah access is much easier as well.

Here's the link to Tallulah
http://gastateparks.org/TallulahGorge/
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
RDMueller wrote:
Wow, so you made it up (and down) in a 33 footer! So I guess it obviously can be done. I looked at Tallulah Gorge as well, but I think Black Rock Mtn will be a good 10 deg cooler, which is a big deal this time of year! Unless we are headed to the beach, I try to avoid anything below about 3000' in the summer.

I didn't take the trailer up, just the truck.

The temp difference was the only reason to consider. I'd do the road if the destination was great, but Black Rock doesn't offer much for the family. Tallulah has easy access and a lot more to do for us.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Just driving up the road in a dually is extremely tight. On a curve, the rear is off the road on the inside while the front is over in the other lane. Tallulah Gorge SP has much better facilities, is easy to enter/exit and has some large pull through sites.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, so you made it up (and down) in a 33 footer! So I guess it obviously can be done. I looked at Tallulah Gorge as well, but I think Black Rock Mtn will be a good 10 deg cooler, which is a big deal this time of year! Unless we are headed to the beach, I try to avoid anything below about 3000' in the summer.
Rob and Julie

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
We drove up and stopped by the campground and talked to a host. They said that there are about 3-4 site that will take a 30 footer and they save those for larger campers that they know are checking in. We saw 2-3 sites that would handle our 33 ft TT. However they were in the front section that has a larger turn around about midway into the campground. We drove through to the back turn around and had to do a 3 point turn in a dually.
The road up is steep and twisty. - We stayed at Tallulah Gorge about 15 miles south.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the advice. This issue was something we hadn't really considered when we sold our pup this spring and bought the TT. In hindsight I kinda wish we had just kept the pup when we bought the TT as the cost of ownership was essentially zero - paid for, parked in the garage, etc.

We love the comfort and convenience of the TT, but it is definitely less versatile! Our last mountain trip with it was to Roan Mountain, TN and we actually had a pretty hard time getting into our assigned spot. After getting set up, the camp host stopped by and said, "Wow, I'm surprised you got a rig that big into that spot!" While there we made a list of the sites that would work for next time since Tennessee has site specific reservations.

Definitely requires some adjustment when you go from the smallest pup made to a large TT!
Rob and Julie

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
At the time made the trip we had a 24' Dutchman. not only wouldn't do it again but I had to have my wife walk up and prevent anyone from coming down. We used a pair of Cobra walkie talkies to communicate. Even with that unit the site was tight.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of the above is correct: when we drove by there last year, the cg was overgrown as well. The sites were all short.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

christy-tra
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought a 32' TT and had to give up RV camping at Black Rock Mountain. Some of the sites are big enough to handle something larger but the website states limit of 25'. If you can manage to get up the mountain road in/with a large RV, you won't be able to do it safely. A few of the turns are extremely tight even using both lanes. Another concern is that Georgia doesn't let you reserve a specific site so you might not be able to get one of their longer sites.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
So did you do it in the Open Range 274? (I think it is about 3-4' longer than ours) Did you find that at least some of the sites were adequately sized and would you do it again? Thanks!
Rob and Julie

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Road is narrow, winding not a fun drive up, especially if you come 'round a turn and meet someone coming down.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance