cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blackhills of South Dakota

JohnEM38
Explorer
Explorer
Going to spend a week in the Blackhills of South Dakota next summer. How about a recommendation for a campground with large campsites that accommodates a large 5er. Prefer full hookups.
Kristin & John
2012 F-350SD SRW CC SB 6.2 4:30 11,300 GVWR "Brown Sugar"
2021 F-350SD SRW CC SB 7.3 4:30 (on order)
2018 Grand Design Reflection 26RL "Tailwagger"
4400 SuperGlide
doublegstravels.blogspot.com
24 REPLIES 24

fthomas200
Explorer
Explorer
Since I usually camp in early spring and late fall I also camp at Beaver Lake because they are open year round. Owners are very helpful and friendly, great people. This campground serves all my needs nicely.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
donkeydew wrote:
as long as everybody is voting i will cast mine for beaver lake campground

I too have heard very good things about Beaver Lake. I think the owner may be a member here?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
as long as everybody is voting i will cast mine for beaver lake campground

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
X5 or 6... lost count... on Rafter J Bar if you're looking for full hook-ups. This RV Park is made up several separate areas. We prefer the upper Ranch for it's seclusion and trees, although the Island area is great as well. Big sites, well run, and centrally located in the Black Hills area. A lot of people prefer Custer State Park, but this may not be your best choice if looking for FHU services. Great park, though...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on Custer's Gultch. Very nice people and place to stay.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have never stayed at Rafter J so this is not intended as a comparison, rather an additional possibility.

We enjoyed spending a week at Custer's Gulch RV Park near Custer. We liked the location in relation to Custer State Park and the drives such as Needle Highway, Iron Mountain Road, and Mt. Rushmore.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Rafter J is by far the best campsite in that region IMHO. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

JohnEM38
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice!
Kristin & John
2012 F-350SD SRW CC SB 6.2 4:30 11,300 GVWR "Brown Sugar"
2021 F-350SD SRW CC SB 7.3 4:30 (on order)
2018 Grand Design Reflection 26RL "Tailwagger"
4400 SuperGlide
doublegstravels.blogspot.com

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
atreis wrote:
Nearly all have sites that will accommodate large trailers. I 2nd the recommendation to not go in August. The bikes are neat at first, but the constant noise gets old after a while ...

If you don't know what I'm talking about in terms of the bikes, it's this: Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
It's not just Sturgis, it's everywhere, and it's not just the week of the rally, but also a week or so before and after.

Yes, the bike noise is really obnoxious. And they will be all over SD, MT, & WY for 2 weeks before and after. Nothing like the peace of a quiet mountain morning shattered by a string of bikers reving up.

not only that but this coming year is i believe the 75th anniversary and they are expecting the biggest turn out ever, upwards of 500,000 bikes. any campground in custer state park is nice, i would recommend the game lodge campground for wildlife viewing, none of them have full hook ups.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
atreis wrote:
Nearly all have sites that will accommodate large trailers. I 2nd the recommendation to not go in August. The bikes are neat at first, but the constant noise gets old after a while ...

If you don't know what I'm talking about in terms of the bikes, it's this: Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
It's not just Sturgis, it's everywhere, and it's not just the week of the rally, but also a week or so before and after.

Yes, the bike noise is really obnoxious. And they will be all over SD, MT, & WY for 2 weeks before and after. Nothing like the peace of a quiet mountain morning shattered by a string of bikers reving up.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We spent two weeks at Hart Ranch RV Resort just outside of Rapid City, SD. Very nice place with large sites. We're 65' total and were able unhook and park our MDT in front of the 5er toy hauler.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the Beaver Lake RV Park 4 miles west of Custer right this moment.
Recommend it highly.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Alfred622 wrote:
We camped at Custer State Park and had a great time. Loved the hiking, the tours, the GameLodge restaurant (with fresh game served), the buffalo heard wandering around, clean air, quiet.... ah, for us it was just right.

What campground did you stay in? They have a lot of nice looking areas in the park.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at Custer State Park and had a great time. Loved the hiking, the tours, the GameLodge restaurant (with fresh game served), the buffalo heard wandering around, clean air, quiet.... ah, for us it was just right.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....