cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking on a river

jhardin80
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for some places to camp with my 29' TT right on a good fishing river for free. I want to take the son on a "guys" weekend trip to fly fishing and camp but didn't want to pay for a campground.

Does anyone know of any good spots that are right on a river in Colorado for fly fishing?
12 REPLIES 12

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forums and I thought I was a cheapskate. You could increase the spots 10 fold by splurging on a USFS CG for $10-12 like the one 4 miles south of South Fork.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:
Just east of Salida on US 50 is a free BLM camping area right on the Arkansas River.

38.508142. -105.961398

Put these coordinates in Google Earth.

Boat ramp, dumpsters, pit toilet. A short ride into Salida for groceries, restaurants, etc. One of our favorite spots. Just don't be telling everyone or it will he too crowded.
Plus Salida has a public dump station and water fill if you need them.

Enjoy

Ed

I've driven past that spot a dozen times on my way to camp at Wellsville down the road and didn't realize that it was free camping. Wellsville is another free camping spot, but the OP has a 29'TT that probably couldn't get past the railroad bridge at Wellsville. I've always camped there in a tent.

jhardin80
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:
Just east of Salida on US 50 is a free BLM camping area right on the Arkansas River.

38.508142. -105.961398

Boat ramp, dumpsters, pit toilet. A short ride into Salida for groceries, restaurants, etc. One of our favorite spots. Just don't be telling everyone or it will he too crowded.

Enjoy

Ed

Holy H-E double hockey sticks ED! That is exactly what I needed, thank you so much!!!! I knew there had to be some free spots somewhere. I really appreciate your help and everyone elses suggestions. I will have to look into some of them, probably not the Alaska one so much (not that I wouldn't love to go there) that would be a REALLY long drive LOL ๐Ÿ™‚

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
The Piedra River between Pagosa Springs and Durango has a number of places to boondock on the river. There is a small Forest Service campground just off of the highway on the west side that doesn't have any hookups but has some very nice campsites plus a vault toilet and hand pump for water. The campground is relatively cheap per night. If you follow the road on the east side for several miles there are several spots to boondock where the road crosses the river about 5 or 6 miles in.

The fly fishing isn't super, but there are definitely fish in the river.

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
jhardin80 wrote:
I'm looking for some places to camp with my 29' TT right on a good fishing river for free. I want to take the son on a "guys" weekend trip to fly fishing and camp but didn't want to pay for a campground.

Does anyone know of any good spots that are right on a river in Colorado for fly fishing?

I think you'll love this one: The I-70 rest area at Rifle. You can overnight right along the Colorado and fish with the local kids. It's a hidden treasure. Don't tell anyone. ๐Ÿ˜‰ They have an RV dump there also.

ETA: I don't know about fly fishing there, but it's a great fishing getaway for a couple of days. And, don't think of "rest area" like you normally do. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Any questions PM me.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Conejos in the San Juan has what your after. South central to south western part of the state. Also, the Bear river outside of Yampa.

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:

38.508142. -105.961398

One of our favorite spots. Just don't be telling everyone or it will he too crowded.

Enjoy

Ed

You just did. Thanks.

Next time you go, I'll see there. I'll be in your favorite camping spot.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
You probably won't take this one up right away, but the Gulkana river at the Richardson Highway bridge in Alaska is super. A large former gravel pit (nice and flat and well above water level) that has a few Porta-Pottys, and dumpsters. Room for 30 or so campers. You get exactly what you pay for. $00 gets you nothing but great king and red salmon fishing. Put it on your bucket list. The drive is a bit long. LOL
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer

38.508142. -105.961398

Enjoy

Ed
๐Ÿ™‚

jhardin80
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, i think it's 200 feet from the water. I don't really need to be that close but something within a short walking distance would be really nice.

travisej
Explorer
Explorer
Just be careful how close you set up camp to the river. I know there is a certain distance you are supposed to be away from them but cant recall exactly.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
128 in Utah (right next door) goes along the river and I noticed lots of pull offs where folks had stayed.
bumpy