cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boston - Cape Cod area

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a two week trip plan for the Cape Cod area in May. We plan to stay at the Boston/Cape Cod KOA for 14 days. Reservations have already been made. We're looking for suggestions for things to do in the area. We usually move every 3 or 4 days when we do our trips. This year we decided to stay in one place and do several day trips. We plan to visit Rhode Island, Connecticut, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Boston. We're looking for suggestions of boat tours, scenic and historic sites within a couple of hours.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300
42 REPLIES 42

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in the Middleboro KOA a year ago.
We never took the train in. We couldn't understand the ticketing. The parking charge was either a phone app or a higher charge to your license plate. My wife wouldn't put the app on and we didn't want to charge the rental car.
Driving to the subway (in Quincy) was unpleasant but we managed. One of the parking garages was closed for rebuilding.

There's a very pleasant Starbucks in a mall on the way to Plymouth. There's also Edaville which is a cranberry bog with an amusement park. Plymouth has a rock that people come from miles around to see.
If you like American history, or the kids are taking it in school, there is an awful lot in Boston. Also a couple of universities that can be toured.

If you like streetcars and subways, Boston has more variety than almost any other city.
David and Dayle

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone.
All very useful information.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
In Brewster check out the Natural History Museum and the General Store. If you have bikes the Cape Cod Rail Trail is very nice (stop at Arnolds in Eastham.) The Salt Pond Visitor Center is interesting and you can book a guided canoe trip there. If you take a trip to Nantucket I liked the whaling museum there better than the one in New Bedford. And if you have a 4X4 & some extra equipment you can get a beach driving pass - drive out & pull up a section of beach (we did Race Point.)
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA you are staying at is 2 miles (as the crow flies) from a commuter rail station in Middleboro. It should be easy for you to get into Boston from there!
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:
Thanks for the link Mike.

I appreciate it.
Thanks everyone. Lots to do in the area.

Bob

Forgot to mention, riverside station is popular for touring Boston, we have used it many times our self's, will get you almost anywhere in the city.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link Mike.

I appreciate it.
Thanks everyone. Lots to do in the area.

Bob

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:
We have a two week trip plan for the Cape Cod area in May. We plan to stay at the Boston/Cape Cod KOA for 14 days. Reservations have already been made. We're looking for suggestions for things to do in the area. We usually move every 3 or 4 days when we do our trips. This year we decided to stay in one place and do several day trips. We plan to visit Rhode Island, Connecticut, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Boston. We're looking for suggestions of boat tours, scenic and historic sites within a couple of hours.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

As mentioned, if you can take in a game at historic Fenway Park.

Take the green line in, Riverside station exit 22 grove street, directly off I95.(relatively easy to get to) you will need to download a parking app to pay for parking https://www.mbta.com/stops/place-river

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
grampscamper wrote:
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Interested in this thread also for our trip to Boston.

Which CG within walking distance (we don't have a toad) for quick transport to DT Boston? Doesn't have to be upmarket or tons of amenities just somewhere safe to sleep at night = bit like ease of access for NYC from Liberty Harbour in NJ set up would work.

Thanks, FTW

A few weeks ago we booked 14 days for the middle of May. We originally looked at Normandy Farms but they didn't have any full hookup sites available for that length of stay.
Just a suggestion, I would book well in advance. This obviously is a busy tourist destination. Weekends are booked well in advance.

Thanks for the heads up Gramps, and I'm sure you'll have a blast on your trip. We are planning on September after schools back in, and also we are 100% off grid independent for up to 3 weeks on tanks and ample solar. We can handle dry camping, just want somewhere close to commute into Boston and safe to park overnight for 3 or 4 nights tops, purely to access Boston. Everywhere else we've got covered on spreadsheet, but Boston accessibility is proving to be a bit of a doozie for us, based on advisories not to drive into, and CG's so far away it appears.

PS: We're doing a 6 to 7 month West to East coast Newfoundland/Lab trip, starting end Apr, then dropping down to Boston/RI and across and up the lakes on the USA side coming back.

Normandy Farms fills up early because it's the best place in the region for just letting the kids be kids.

FullTime - the closest CG to Boston would be Wompatuck State Park. I didn't mention it until I saw you were self contained. They have electric only and I believe a short Uber to the Boston commuter boat out of Hingham.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
Cape Cod - Provincetown is "eclectic",

I'll be a little more descriptive than "electic"-lots of alternative lifestyles.

Yeah, I had to have a talk with the kids the first time we anchored out in Ptown on our yearly Cape cruise. That was probably 30 years ago and it's a lot more "eclectic" now. We only go there off season when it's less populated.
Jerry & Jeanne

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE youโ€™ll love Newfoundland and Labrador. We were there last year. The friendliest people you will find anywhere. Lots of wildlife and beautiful scenery.
I know the KOA is a short drive to the train station. You could take a taxi but itโ€™s too far to walk. Not sure if there are any campgrounds close enough to walk.

Thanks for the information Crowe.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Cape Cod - Provincetown is "eclectic",

I'll be a little more descriptive than "electic"-lots of alternative lifestyles. If that type of thing makes you uncomfortable it might not be the place for you. That said it's a wonderful place for sampling New England at it's finest. Shops, restaurants, artists and great people watching. Visit the Pilgrim Monument, Race Point light house and of course, some of the most beautiful beaches anywhere.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Interested in this thread also for our trip to Boston.

Which CG within walking distance (we don't have a toad) for quick transport to DT Boston? Doesn't have to be upmarket or tons of amenities just somewhere safe to sleep at night = bit like ease of access for NYC from Liberty Harbour in NJ set up would work.

Thanks, FTW

A few weeks ago we booked 14 days for the middle of May. We originally looked at Normandy Farms but they didn't have any full hookup sites available for that length of stay.
Just a suggestion, I would book well in advance. This obviously is a busy tourist destination. Weekends are booked well in advance.

Thanks for the heads up Gramps, and I'm sure you'll have a blast on your trip. We are planning on September after schools back in, and also we are 100% off grid independent for up to 3 weeks on tanks and ample solar. We can handle dry camping, just want somewhere close to commute into Boston and safe to park overnight for 3 or 4 nights tops, purely to access Boston. Everywhere else we've got covered on spreadsheet, but Boston accessibility is proving to be a bit of a doozie for us, based on advisories not to drive into, and CG's so far away it appears.

PS: We're doing a 6 to 7 month West to East coast Newfoundland/Lab trip, starting end Apr, then dropping down to Boston/RI and across and up the lakes on the USA side coming back.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
grampscamper wrote:
Great information. Thanks everyone for your posts.
We want to do a whale watching boat tour while we're there.
Any suggestions?

Capt John's in both Plymouth and P'town.

Thanks so much. I'll check it out.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
grampscamper wrote:
Great information. Thanks everyone for your posts.
We want to do a whale watching boat tour while we're there.
Any suggestions?

Capt John's in both Plymouth and P'town.
Jerry & Jeanne

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
railtrailers wrote:
Two of my recommendations for your consideration are: "Old Sturbridge Village" in Sturbridge, Mass and "Battleship Cove" in Fall River, Mass.

I went to their websites. Looks very interesting. I'll add it to the list.
Thanks for the recommendations.