cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp sites near Stanley Idaho

SNOPRO711X
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about taking the longer more senic route from Island Park Idaho to Salmon Idaho. This would involve a short stop at Craters of the Moon, then a drive via Sun Valley to Salmon. It would also mean an overnight stay in the Stanley area.
Anybody have a recommendation? FS sites are ok as long as we can get a 34ft class A in the site.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
When rafting season starts in Stanley the town gets quite busy. You wouldn't believe how busy unless you see it. Good news is the season usually starts around the first couple weeks of June. Salmon is pretty much the same way except the season starts earlier. Since Salmon is a larger town it is usually not the same amount of impact as what is seen in Stanley. It is beautiful country. On the way to Sun Valley you will go over a pass with some scenic turnouts and I suggest you stop and take some pics of the Sawtooth Mountains. They are spectacular!
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SNOPRO711X
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

I reserved a FS site on Stanley Lake.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
There is quite a bit of boondocking along the river in the area. While there, we stayed at Redfish Outlet FS campground. Plenty of sites large enough for you. No hook ups, but a beautfiul place.

While there, you must have breakfast at Stanley Baking Company. Some of the best biscuits and gravy I've had. Definitely worth a stop...
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
You might check out the Stanley Chamber of Commerce website for a list of campgrounds, maps and contact phone numbers. http://stanleycc.org/sleep/camping/

Redfish Lake and Stanley Lake are great spots. You may have a bit of difficulty getting reservations at some of the reservable spots, but there are plenty of first come first served campgrounds, too.

BTW the Craters has a nice, but simple campground, too.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
It's been many years, but we camped a couple of times at Queen's River FS campground. There are only four sites, but I think you could fit. It's where the Queens River empties into the Middle Fork of the Boise River. Great trout fishing. FR268 can be rough and is kind of narrow, but the scenery is spectacular.

Queens River CG
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)