cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground Roundup for Washington, DC

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I often see questions about visiting Washington, DC. The most recommended is Cherry Hill, which is a great park and great location. There are other options in the area, though.

I tried to write-up a "campground roundup" of the various options with a tidbit about each.

http://www.learntorv.com/2014/03/camping-near-washington-dc.html

Any thoughts on any of these?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
21 REPLIES 21

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
ependydad wrote:
1775 wrote:
Thanks for the write up. We are looking for a campground near D.C. within a reasonable distance (don't mind driving a distance) to a metro station that we can park our Class B at and leave it safely for the day. We were warned by Cherry Hill not to do this at the Metro parking lots near to them - we would "not find the Class B there when we returned and if we did it would have been broken into". For personal reasons we can't ride on a bus so shuttles are out. Parking garages are out because of height clearance. We would love to go to D.C. - have yet to find a solution to safe parking for the metro to get into DC.

What about hiring a taxi? They'll pick you up at the front of Cherry Hill and can either drop you at the metro for a few bucks (right up front) or take you the whole way into the city.

Sorry it took a while to get back to this - cars, buses all the same. The RV driver gets car sick. Trains are fine. Motor vehicles are not.

Given all of your limitations, it looks like you are out of luck for DC. You have been given all of the options.

The Greenbelt Metro Station is 5 miles from Cherry Hill, and the College Park Station is 4 miles away. Your RV driver can't deal with that?
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
1775 wrote:
Thanks for the write up. We are looking for a campground near D.C. within a reasonable distance (don't mind driving a distance) to a metro station that we can park our Class B at and leave it safely for the day. We were warned by Cherry Hill not to do this at the Metro parking lots near to them - we would "not find the Class B there when we returned and if we did it would have been broken into". For personal reasons we can't ride on a bus so shuttles are out. Parking garages are out because of height clearance. We would love to go to D.C. - have yet to find a solution to safe parking for the metro to get into DC.

What about hiring a taxi? They'll pick you up at the front of Cherry Hill and can either drop you at the metro for a few bucks (right up front) or take you the whole way into the city.

Sorry it took a while to get back to this - cars, buses all the same. The RV driver gets car sick. Trains are fine. Motor vehicles are not.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:

Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Thanks for the input. I wholly agree that the Baltimore campgrounds aren't ideal, but if you're trying to double-up on trips visiting both areas, it could work out. I did caveat that in the write up.

I'll look at the other links and see what I can add to it. I also heard that military can stay at Ft. Belvoir, is it?

IMHO Ft. Belvoir is kind of far out to be considered. Joint Base Andrews at Andrews AFB and Camp Meade at Fort Meade would the preferred locals for traveling in to DC.

When we could use the rods in Ft Meade as a shortcut from RT 198 to 175, I checked out Camp Meade. While it was nothing special, it was well cared for and you had access to the golf courses (2) and PX and other "stuff". Meade was a place where a lot of big brass came so they kept it squared away.

Ever since the Fort was decommissioned, the NSA has built new facilities on the golf courses, the airport is closed, as is the "O" club (went to wedding there once). But I see RVs going in and out once and a while

Military Campgrounds - MD
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ependydad wrote:
Thanks for the input. I wholly agree that the Baltimore campgrounds aren't ideal, but if you're trying to double-up on trips visiting both areas, it could work out. I did caveat that in the write up.

I'll look at the other links and see what I can add to it. I also heard that military can stay at Ft. Belvoir, is it?

Yes FT. Belvoir is correct not sure if they have a CG. Does Andrews AFB have a CG as well?
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I too liked Lake Fairfax Park, in Reston. It was handier to the parts of DC we went to, like Alexandria, and also the Air and Space at Dulles.
Very well run park, an oasis of quiet in a very busy part of the country.
And getting in and out of the metro DC area was easy for us. (No beltway!)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
John S. wrote:
Good writeup. I was the family they helped at Capitol KOA. It is great to visit Baltimore and Annapolis and yet still hit DC. If you only want to do DC I love bull run. I would rather drive n and park and with three people in the Carr truck you can use HOV all the way in and out.

Agree about Capitol KOA. Great owner/manager and staff. Sites on the small side but with all the off campus stuff you're hardly ever at the cg but when you are, the facilities are clean and nice.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good writeup. I was the family they helped at Capitol KOA. It is great to visit Baltimore and Annapolis and yet still hit DC. If you only want to do DC I love bull run. I would rather drive n and park and with three people in the Carr truck you can use HOV all the way in and out.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

agb2529
Explorer
Explorer
4monkeys wrote:
We stayed at Bull Run and drove all the way into DC and parked at Ronald Reagan garage every day. Worked fine for us. With 4 kids, Metro added up fast.

A big +1 on the Reagan garage. Did the Metro the first day from Lake Fairfax and quickly realized it wasn't any faster than driving (might have been longer!) and cost twice as much with 5 of us. The garage is super convenient to the Mall and has a very nice food court in the basement, great for a nice breakfast before you hit the sights.
The Long Grove Happy Campers -
Alex & Sandi
2003 Suburban K2500 6.0 L 3.73
2003 Dutchman 19T Sport

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer

4monkeys
Explorer
Explorer
We drove by Prince William Forest that had a campground, when we were south of DC visiting the Marine museum & Washington's home...didn't go into the campground though.

4monkeys
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Bull Run and drove all the way into DC and parked at Ronald Reagan garage every day. Worked fine for us. With 4 kids, Metro added up fast.
We rented a cabin at Bull Run, that was before we had our RV and we went during colder weather and didn't want to tent.

agb2529
Explorer
Explorer
One other good one in the area is Lake Fairfax, a county park out in Reston VA.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/lakefairfax/fairfaxcamp/

A bit farther away but very nice facilities, also convenient to the new Air & Space museum next to Dulles.
The Long Grove Happy Campers -
Alex & Sandi
2003 Suburban K2500 6.0 L 3.73
2003 Dutchman 19T Sport