cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campground suggestions Shiloh, Vicksburg, Chattanooga

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Still in the planning stages but putting aside 3-4 weeks this June for Civil War themed trip from Myrtle Beach, through Asheville, NC to major battlefields in the "western theater" like Franklin, Shiloh, Vicksburg and Chattanooga/Chicamagua. Would like to follow Sherman's moves on Atlanta and then his "March to the Sea" to Savannah, then back to MB and home. Have asked this question before but included stops we're not now planning. Pros and cons on CGs in these places please. Thanks. Have used rvparkreviews.com for other trips but would like your personal experiences to enhance our decisions. Again, thanks for taking the time to help.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
12 REPLIES 12

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I can help you with Shiloh.
Next to the park there is a small campground. I have never stayed there so not sure of things but its very simple but has all hookups, I think.
But a few miles away, maybe 8 or 10 miles, there is a TVA campground on the Tennessee River that is nice and very pretty. This park has water and electricity and a dumping station. Also close to the river is Pickwick State Park witch is ok, but not very pretty.
My advice would be the TVA park for the beauty of it.
If I can help you more just let me know.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
You'll probably be happier at the KOA, off I75 turn right on Ga 2A and on the right. It'll be closest RV Park to Chikamaka Battlefield.
As noted by another the Holiday Travel Park is tight. We had some contact with our coach or toad. I don't remember which. It has been a while. The current Owners don't appear interested in updating or changing. Or current as of 2012.

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Stones River Battlefield in Murfreesboro. Also try Cloudland Canyon State park in GA up on lookout mtn
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
When we visited Shiloh we stayed at Pickwick Landing State Park in Tennessee. I must admit that this was not an RV trip and we stayed in the very elaborate (for a state park) lodge, but we did drive through the campground, though that was only a superficial view, but that is where I'd probably stay in an RV for a visit to Shiloh.

We stayed at the KOA South for a visit to Chickamagua for a reenactment several years ago. It is, of course, in North Georgia and convenient to the Battlefield.

I think we have stayed in every RV park in Vicksburg--except the Battlefield RV Park: Ameristar only for an overnight, just a place to park and a good breakfast. Magnolia was OK for us. It is just across the freeway from where my Great Grandpa defended the line from the south. As I recall River Town was new when we first stayed there, a bit further out Highway 61. We enjoy staying out at Edwards at the Askew Landing RV Park in a decidedly rural setting. It is just off I-20 East.

At Savannah we enjoyed staying out at Skidaway Island State Park. We found it easy to get into town by relatively uncrowded, wide freeways.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Best wishes.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
gat75 wrote:
DW & I stayed at Holiday Trav-L-Park in Chattanooga for one night only. We are in complete agreement that this GS Park in highly over-rated. We stayed there in March of 2012. In addition to being very cramped, it was nothing like we thought it would be. They use the "located on Civil War Battleground" as a drawing card.

We also witnessed a top of the line M-home cream his right side as he was coming in to register late in the evening. They have a 90dg turn right at the check in that is not wide enough for more than one rig. Poor guy was trying to manipulate a large MH & toad in too tight of an area when he raked his right side against some iron posts that keeps vehicles from hitting building.

I kicked up a landscape timber on the right side that they had as a boundary when I was driving our 34'5W into parking space. Again, very congested & crowded. I would rather park 10 miles out of town than have to fight getting in & out.

I agree, this park is much too close and congested for me....I consider myself a fair driver....but had to crank it up to get into site...next am...looked around and ended up unhooking and backing off site to keep from hitting my choice of 3 trees...one on each side in the front and the one across the street.....I'll never go back there...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
River Town Campground is our stopping place in Vicksburg. There's not many amenities, but it's level, has good neighbors and Wifi works.

Camping

It's on the road to Port Gibson/Grand Gulf.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I usually stay at the KOA SE of town. did stay at the Camping World campground when I needed some work done. perfectly fine. did check out the Holiday when i was there and it seemed fine also.
bumpy

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Chester Frost Park about 10 miles north of Chattanooga in Hixson - nice place to stay. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
In Chattanooga we always stay at the Best Holiday Trav-L-Park on our way down to Florida.
You could always search this Forum in the RV Parks section for the towns of interest.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
DW & I stayed at Holiday Trav-L-Park in Chattanooga for one night only. We are in complete agreement that this GS Park in highly over-rated. We stayed there in March of 2012. In addition to being very cramped, it was nothing like we thought it would be. They use the "located on Civil War Battleground" as a drawing card.

We also witnessed a top of the line M-home cream his right side as he was coming in to register late in the evening. They have a 90dg turn right at the check in that is not wide enough for more than one rig. Poor guy was trying to manipulate a large MH & toad in too tight of an area when he raked his right side against some iron posts that keeps vehicles from hitting building.

I kicked up a landscape timber on the right side that they had as a boundary when I was driving our 34'5W into parking space. Again, very congested & crowded. I would rather park 10 miles out of town than have to fight getting in & out.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I would say in Chattanooga choice 1 would be Holiday Trav-L-Park #2 Chattanooga South KOA
Holiday Trav-L-Park is closer to downtown Chattanooga, and IMHO a nicer campground. The KOA is closer to the main Battlefield and Park Headquarters. If just visiting the Civil War sites is your main focus then these 2 are the best choices. If you want to stay a few days and have a more park like campground, then Cloudland Canyon or Chester Frost would also work, but your going to be much farther away

Edit: In Savannah doing what you are I would also stay at Fort McAllister State Park. Sherman’s march to the sea ended with the siege of Fort McAllister.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Take in Ft. Donelson near Dover, TN. This is the battle that resulted in the south losing the war 3 years later. It is the "Midway" of the Civil War. Learn about the result of this battle on the South as well as the North. If the South had won this battle, who knows how much longer the war would have lasted?

You can camp at The Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area. Search this forum for posting.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos