cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds in the Florida Panhandle with open sites?

M00d
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend a campground in the Florida panhandle that's within walking distance of the gulf with open sites? I'd like to book a 10 day stay during the month of June or July. I've checked all the state parks and they are full. I need at least a 7 day stay to make it worthwhile since we are 450 miles from the coast. I fear I'm out of luck.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

M00d
Explorer
Explorer
SampsonGirl wrote:
If you want to get a site in a state park you can probably get a canceled campsite at http://campsitesniper.com.

Thank You SampsonGirl!!!!

Thanks to your advice I bought a few searches from Campsite Sniper about a week ago. This afternoon I got a text saying they found me a campsite at Saint George Island! I jumped on my computer and it was a 9 night stay over the 4th of July!! We are so excited! I've never been to Saint George Island but from reading on Rvparkreviews it appears the water and beach are pristine. If anyone is going to be at St. George from June 28th till July 7th come by my site and I'll pour you a strong one!

Thanks again SampsonGirl!!!

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
We are at Fort Pickens now and have 4 more nights. I made reservations in March or April. This is a great place. We were here for the first time last year. I'd be surprised if you can get that many days in a row at this time but never know. Someone may cancel. Do recommend it highly.

tinycamper
Explorer
Explorer
Eastern Diamondback rattlers are famous at Fort Pickens. If you accidentally killed one and no one was there to see it or report you to the authorities, you would not be fined. Just a thought. I am not advising you to do that though. ๐Ÿ™‚
www.rvcampingchecklist.com
A comprehensive, customizable and printable RV camping checklist that's FREE!

M00d
Explorer
Explorer
SampsonGirl wrote:
I've been to El Governor once. If your going for the beach there's nothing wrong with it. If your not a daily beach bum like me then you might not like it. The campground isn't the most beautiful thing to behold but it gets the job done. It's right across the street from the gulf but you have no privacy in most the campsites. The attendant's are very nice and helpful and the motel lounge is a nice place. Again if your going mainly for the beach you will be happy. If your going to spend time in the park itself you won't be as happy. There is nothing wrong with the park it just can't compare to a Florida state park, but then again most of them aren't as close to the beach. If you want to get a site in a state park you can probably get a canceled campsite at http://campsitesniper.com.

Hey thanks a bunch for the info, we are most interested in the beach so it sounds like El Governor would be good for us. Now if I can get lucky enough to get a site for a week or more. I'll call them tomorrow morning. If things don't work out I'll give that sniper thing a try.

Thank you

SampsonGirl
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to El Governor once. If your going for the beach there's nothing wrong with it. If your not a daily beach bum like me then you might not like it. The campground isn't the most beautiful thing to behold but it gets the job done. It's right across the street from the gulf but you have no privacy in most the campsites. The attendant's are very nice and helpful and the motel lounge is a nice place. Again if your going mainly for the beach you will be happy. If your going to spend time in the park itself you won't be as happy. There is nothing wrong with the park it just can't compare to a Florida state park, but then again most of them aren't as close to the beach. If you want to get a site in a state park you can probably get a canceled campsite at http://campsitesniper.com.

M00d
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Did you try Ft Pickens at the NSS?

I did. They are booked over the 4th but I can get a site there around mid July. This is our last option campground. The last time we were there I had to run three rattle snakes out of my campsite. Might have been the same snake I don't know but it kept coiling up trying to catch little field mice. With a small child this is unnerving to say the least. My wife opened the rv door once and he was coiled up on our patio rug right by the steps! You can't kill the snakes either or face a $500.00 fine. Its a beautiful park and we might go that way still. If we do I may have to put 5 one hundred dollar bills in my back pocket just in case;)

Has anyone camped at El Governor Campground in Mexico Beach?
Just found it on the net but they don't list the rates.

Thanks!

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
I also recommend Ft. Pickens. We were there over the Memorial weekend and they had empty spots then. This is one of our favorite campgrounds ever. The beach across the road is rated in the top 10 in the country, if not the world.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try Ft Pickens at the NSS?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)