cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds near Washington DC

shovelhead79
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling to DC next spring and I am wondering if anyone can recommend a campground. We would like to stay 1 week.
Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

cwstanley
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Lake Fairfax County Park, I really enjoy them, the lazy river pool, close to metro and nice 50 amp sites..

2013 F350 Dually,4X4, CC
2017 Laredo 340FL
Wife, son & 3 Brittany Spaniels

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Cherry Hill is on the north side of DC. Pohick Bay is on the south side. Since I'd rather have a root canal than drag my TT through/around DC traffic, I use Pohick Bay. As mentioned, it's not far from the DC metro train stop in Springfield, and since the DC metro trains go everywhere in DC you could possibly want to go as a tourist, and parking anywhere in DC is hell, you'll want to use the metro.

And I strongly urge you to pick the CG on your side of DC and forget about the others. Even the I-95/495 beltway AROUND DC is packed pretty much 24/7.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bull Run: $35pn 50amp. Cherry Hill: $62. $190 difference on the week. Ouch!!!
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to visit downtown DC, Cherry Hill is the best place.

shovelhead79 wrote:
We will be traveling to DC next spring and I am wondering if anyone can recommend a campground. We would like to stay 1 week.
Thanks
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Salty_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Run X4
Wife, kids, somebody else's kids, dog, kitchen sink

Cleverly disguised as an adult.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you're in an acoustically well-insulated RV, you'll probably find Cherry Hill very noisy, as the CG sits between the Beltway and the interstate. DW and I were OK in the Roadtrek, but two kids with us in a tent were kept up much of the night by very loud air-brake noise from a multitude of 18-wheelers.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Lantley wrote:
tkcas01 wrote:
Most popular/convenient seems to be Cherry Hill Park.

Cherry Hill is the best option. Yes it is more costly, However it is convenient and caters to those touring DC.

Exactly, Greenbrier, and Harpers Ferry are too far way to be convenient.

Prince William Forest and Pohick Bay, Bull Run are viable less expensive Options.

I'll tip my hat to Bull Run. It's in Northern Virginia and you'll have a 15-20 minute drive to the metro- but it's a beautiful park.

X3 on Bull Run

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Cherry Hill this past summer, and I only paid $65 a night for a W/E site near the front. I just dumped on the way out.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
tkcas01 wrote:

Cherry Hill is the best option. Yes it is more costly, However it is convenient and caters to those touring DC.

Prince William Forest and Pohick Bay, Bull Run are viable less expensive Options.

I'll tip my hat to Bull Run. It's in Northern Virginia and you'll have a 15-20 minute drive to the metro- but it's a beautiful park.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
tkcas01 wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mjmaddox
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Pohick..was perfect for our week touring. Never had any traffic issues getting to the metro or commuters filling up the decks. Reasonable price..quiet and relaxing after a busy day touring. We didn't need the amenities at cherry hill and didn't want to pay for them..would definitely stay at Pohick again.

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Pohick Bay on two of our trips. Worked fine for us. Just down the street a few miles we caught the Metro.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We will be staying at cherry hill next spring. Since we won't have a car, it's the best option for us. And as far as the flat rate, I understand they have 3 type of sites : rv, pull through, and premium. Their rates are $62, $67, and $72 respectfully. That's for 2 people. $5 for each additional person according to their rates web page.

Edit: said you when it should of said us.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Click here and you will be taken to a blog page that was created by a fellow camper and has some useful information about most of the campgrounds around DC.

Cherry Hill is very popular with the pilgrims. Close to the mass transit, close to grocery shopping and restaurants, easy access to I-95. They are just wrapping up a big expansion project.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.