cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

camping in or near smokey mints np

outnabout
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 39' 5er and would like to visit the smokeys. Will we fit in any campgrounds in the park? Anything reasonable in Pigeon Forge?
Craig & Arline
Montana 5er 3402 RL
2006 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
"On the Road Again..."
15 REPLIES 15

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Mountain RV great location to everything got a trolley so need not drive. On bad go across rd to there hotel use the hot tub heat pool and they even have slow man made river to float on. It's right in PF I believe light # 5 any size RV and paved roads to site get for biking to
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
Have always stayed at River Plantation but were mixing it up this year and going to try out Anchor Downs. Both will handle your rig just fine.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

BamaBen
Explorer
Explorer
Deep Creek in Bryson City,NC
1999 F-250 XLT
2016 PALOMINO BACKPACK

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
The bible on that area Smokeys Campgrounds

They also did an entire info piece that gives great advise Great info
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
dccamper wrote:
Check out Big Meadows in Townsend.

I'll second Big Meadows, and Townsend in general. Nice campground and very convenient to the Cades Cove area of the park.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to the jellystone in Cosby. Great setting, small campground, but we had a great site on the steam which the kids loved. About 15 minutes from gatlinburg.

We want to go back this summer, anyone been to Adventure Bound campground?
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
We also like Smokemont. It's one of the NPS campgrounds so no hookups but you'll fit nicely in almost all of the F loop sites; Those that backup to the creek are our favorites. Be sure to visit the nearby grist mill and Cades Cove is well worth the drive.

rwings12000
Explorer
Explorer
If you like a resort feel I highly recommend Anchor Down Resort. It overlooks Douglas Lake and is big rig friendly. It is about 15 minutes to Pigeon Forge. It puts you close but keeps you out of the touristy area. The place is practically new. The views are awesome. If you are going in the summer I suggest one of the sites on the top with trees.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
As other have said, it all depends on the experience you want.
We avoid the touristy places, so we stayed at a little CG near Whittier, NC called Timberlake. There where plenty of large sites / rigs of all sizes when we where there.

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the experience you want. If you are into touristy type attractions I would recommend you stay in the Gatlinburg area. There are many RV parks, do a search on RV Parkreviews.com to find one that best meets you needs. If you want a less hectic place to stay I would recommend Townsend, TN. Big Meadows or the KOA seem to be popular.

Either place, I encourage you to do some hiking in the park. There are trails available to fit any fitness level and experience.

Have a great time!
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We took our 36'TT up to Elkmont a couple of summers ago. We had no problem getting a site that would fit, but it is dry camping and it was HOT and humid. When we go back now, we stay in Pigeon Forge at Pine Mtn RV Park and drive up to Elkmont, Cades Cove, etc. We have plenty of power, cable and AC but are able to enjoy the wildlife and scenery when we want to.

The large sites are limited, but they do have them to fit the larger RVs.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you just want to be close to the shopping and kiddie amusements in Pigeon Forge I would cross over to the North Carolina side of the park and stay there. Last fall we stayed at the Tuckaseegee RV Resort close to Sylva, NC. Easy access to the Smoky Mtn park and numerous waterfalls in NC and a whole lot less traffic and noise than Pigeon Forge.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hands down the Smokemont CG up the valley some from Cherokee is our favourite. No power, no WIFI, no TV, no cell service but hey, it is camping the way it is supposed to be complete with a creek running through it. Phone & WIFI works a few miles back down the valley at the visitors center. Cades Cove is a drive to get to with a trailer.

Now if all of the comforts of civilisation are a must, there are plenty of full service, close together site CGs in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge & Sevierville. Stayed at River plantation, Sevierville a couple of times. Pool, laundry, 50amp, flat sites, cable anything you might need right there with all of the shopping & glitzy stuff minutes away.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dccamper
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Big Meadows in Townsend.