cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping In Williams AZ in December

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be meeting some friends to take our kids on the Polar Express Train out of Williams AZ in the beginning of December. I made a reservation for Grand Canyon/Williams KOA, but I started thinking we may not be able to stay there with our trailer in the winter.

I am from Las Vegas so we have always been in decent weather, we have been down into the teens at night but we were boon-docking so no hose or anything to freeze up.

Our Trailer has an enclosed belly with a heat duct piped below, not sure if that is enough to keep it out of trouble. Let me know your suggestions, what to do if I go, or if I should just find a hotel.

Thanks for your help.
11 REPLIES 11

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Williams at Circle Pines KOA in April.It was 32 degrees with 6" of snow.No problem.But we also stayed in Gallup, New Mexico where it was 15 degrees and snowing.They told us to disconnect hose over night and use water in tanks.No problems.Just keep heat on.In Gallup,my wife wakes up and says it's cold in here.One of the propane tanks ran out!Had to go out in the 15 degree weather and switch to the other tank.I told her next time it runs out it's her turn to change over.haha

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Williams can get considerable snow in December. If you have flexibility on what days to travel you can avoid the snow packed roads and highways which can get pretty nasty at times. Grand Canyon Railway RV park is our choice. Paved roads and sites. Directly next to the railroad and hotel with a shuttle between them and access to hotels indoor pool. If you winterize the camp ground has very nice clean bathrooms and showers.

Williams is at 6750'. About 18 miles west of Williams is Ash Fork which is at 5150' thus about 10 degrees warmer and receives only an occasional dusting of snow. There is a Good Sam RV park there. Nights in Dec. still average below freezing in Ash Fork.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
With heat ducted below you should be fine. We have spent as much as 10 days with below freezing temps at night. As low as 18. Just fill you fresh tank, disconnect your water hose and run off your water pump.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Williams about 2 weeks ago. Loved the town. We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV park. If you are a Passport America member it is by far the best value. You would be right by the train, the bath houses are spotless, the café is delicious and you have access to the hotel pool all with shuttle service with a phone call. Spaces are generous with level pads. The elevation there is like 6000 ft. so yes, it will be cold there in Dec. I also say winterize and use the CG's facilities.

rarintogo
Explorer
Explorer
We always stay at the Grand Canyon Railway Rv Park and have always enjoyed it. That said, we have never been there in December. We stayed at the Railside too, but like the Grand Canyon Railway better.

Joy
Joe and Joy
'04 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise - 34D
W22 Workhorse, Banks Power Pack, Bilstein Shocks, Davis TruTrac,
Jeep Liberty Toad.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Railside RV Park was our choice in mid Dec. '07. Great service, shuttle to the train.
Sure it was chilly, temps never above freezing, but the camp water was on in bathhouses, at site for tank fills by freeze proof hydrants. Fill then disconnect!
Any RV rated for 4 season can withstand William's relatively mild december weather.
Due your due diligence, be proactive.
Enjoy the Polar Express!
Max

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
We just left there for Vegas and it was cold (32F and night). They were wrapping the water pipes with heat tape when we left...

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
The average night time low for Williams AZ in mid December is 15F, with a record low of around -20F. I'd be very cautious about any liquids exposed those temps. You could rupture a pipe or drain if you're not careful.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
According to the Weather Channel website the averages for December for Williams are 47 and 23. Too cold for us to be RVing.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I had my trailer in my signature, it is a 2011 Keystone Fuzion 302 5th wheel toyhauler.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how your trailer is built, but how about just winterizing it, carrying your water and drinks inside and if you're not willing to use the KOA toilet facilities, just use a pail of water for flushing and dump when you get to warmer temps. Really roughing it.

Of course, you might get lucky and temps might end up pleasant. Plan for the worst and be surprised when things are better.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus