cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carlsbad caverns rv parks

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for nice rv parks close to the caverns we will be coming from a quick stop at Roswell to talk to some aliens... :W

Thx!
Proud father of a US Marine
20 REPLIES 20

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The bats unfortunately were still in Mexico for our visit last month. Another great thing about the KOA is the smoked on site BBQ you can call in to order and they deliver it straight to your campers door!
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ssocal
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the KOA, went there last year. If you have the time, check out the evening "Bat Flight" at sunset or so, check with the Rangers, very cool
2011 Fleetwood Expedition 38B
2015 Chevy Tahoe

2006 2500 Duramax 4x4
31' Rockwood

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
RE: US 285. I'm glad we went through there back in early 2014. I found 285 to be fine then.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
285 south out of Carlsbad is a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE. It is no less than 40 miles of constant road construction, potholes, no curb or even 5" of emergency lane, everyone is in a big rig or work truck and there are thousands of them, always stopping and turning, crossing yellow line, trying to pass, ect. There is a stop sign intersection and for some reason the road has been graded down at least 5' so people just crawl though it. This makes the traffic back up and it was at least 3 miles of stopped traffic to get to that stop sign.

Just avoid it or travel it after 8pm or before 5am.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We visited this area last July. We hit the "UFO festival" (stayed at the "Town and Country RV Park" (very nice park) and then at the Carlsbad KOA. Enjoyed our stay there too. Great staff, they serve a very good BBQ dinner. The place is clean and well maintained. If you have the time check out "Sitting Bull Falls" it's about 15 miles or so from the Carlsbad KOA. We ran from Roswell to Carlsbad on Rt 285 and it was just fine. Didn't go south of Carlsbad on 285. We were also told the road and traffic conditions were different on that stretch, so we avoided it. Also, if you have pets there is a kennel service available at the Carlsbad Caverns Visitor center. It is very clean, air conditioned and inexpensive. I would call ahead to make sure it is still in operation, but it was very,very handy for us.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
Was just there and can only recommend the KOA. It is about a 40 minute drive but well worth it after looking at the others. Also avoid the 285 out of Carlsbad at all costs.

Could you tell me what is wrong with 285? Bad road, etc... Because that is the way I was planning to go

There has been a new pipeline going in for the last several years. The heavy truck/equipment traffic is non-stop and has beat the road to death. The asphalt is disintegrated and the road surface extremely rough for most of the stretch from Carlsbad to Pecos. On top of that, add the continued heavy oil field traffic that doesn't necessarily care about speed limits, etc., and it's not a pleasant experience at all. If we didn't have the MOR/ryde independent suspension on the fiver, I don't know how it would have fared.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
Was just there and can only recommend the KOA. It is about a 40 minute drive but well worth it after looking at the others. Also avoid the 285 out of Carlsbad at all costs.

Could you tell me what is wrong with 285? Bad road, etc... Because that is the way I was planning to go
Proud father of a US Marine

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Brantley Lake State Park.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid Whits at all cost, it's a dump.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have stayed at Brantley Lake State Park and had water & electric hookups for $14. Not sure if prices have changed since 3 years ago. The KOA just north of there is also good.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
Looking for nice rv parks close to the caverns we will be coming from a quick stop at Roswell to talk to some aliens... :W

Thx!
Isn't it amazing that aliens can travel many light years across the galaxy only to crash in the remote desert. Earth must be located on one heck of an intergalactic blind curve.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
The past few years the oil and pipeline companies have taken over any and all RV and trailer parks - and the hotels during the week - in the area. It's difficult-to-impossible to get an RV site, even if you're willing to pay the exorbitant prices. Hotel/motel rooms can run $400 - $600 a night during the week, too. The oil companies are willing to pay the price and rent things by the block and month. If you're an Escapee, you can probably get some time at The Ranch north of Carlsbad.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been to Carlsbad in years, but your post brought back a funny memory I thought I'd share.
On the way there about 50 years ago, we kept seeing signs on the highway for "the only campground with shade trees."
I think we drove an extra 20 miles or so to get there, and they did have trees - cottonwood saplings they watered daily. The tallest ones were less than six feet tall.
I don't remember the name of the campground, but had to give them an "A" for their advertising.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/