cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cass WV

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is there in the area after the train ride?
10 REPLIES 10

Mainframe
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Thanks! I will

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Mainframe:

I think you'd get a better response if you start a new thread, such as "Looking for CG near Cass WV." JMHO

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Mainframe
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is an old post but I am looking for a campground with full hookups near the cass railroad, anyone know of any?
Thanks in advance

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
West Virginia is very under rated. I love it though...Canaan Valley, Blackwater Falls & Seneca Rocks aren't too far from Cass. Stonewall Resort is supposed to be great (never been there myself). The Grenbrier Resort is south of Cass. Also, you could venture over to Shenandoah NP.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
You can do Cass Scenic RR and the Green Bank Radio Observatory in one day (although we opted for the shorter train ride and did not do a shop tour).

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
In nearby Bath Co. VA you could visit Lake Moomaw or the Historic Hot Springs resort. There's another train to ride in Durbin, WV. In Elkins, WV you can also ride a couple trains on the old Western Maryland rails.
There's also Seneca Rocks, Canan Valley ski resort, and Snowshoe ski resort.
If you go east you will enter Highland Co. VA. It's the least populated county in the state. It has some quaint historic places to visit. If you go in March you can attend the Highland Co. Maple festival.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
We did Cass, Greenbank, Blackwater Falls, and camped at Canaan Valley State Park all in the same trip. We were there for a couple of days and I am not sure what we did each day as that was over 25 years ago.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

Sweet_Old_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
After Cass - - the train ride - - tour the town and learn it's and the area's history.

The Greenbank Radio Observatory offers tours and provides an "upclose and personal" opportunity to learn about the work underway to understand what is really out there beyond our solar system and galaxy.

Rt.66 west from Cass will take you over the mountain and into the Snowshoe ski and recreational complex. Great summer and winter activities.

And, my personal favorite, great trout fishing opportunities both on the Greenbank side and the Snowshoe side.

If you are into amateur radio, be advised that the area around Greenbank is a radio quiet zone - - can't transmit. Cell service is (or has been) very limited.

Great country - - altho I am a bit biased.

Bill
Enjoying It
w/Favorite Wife
2011 Airstream Classic Limited
2016 F250 6.2L

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go find a bar near Green Bank and eventually they will bring you some moon shine if you keep asking for some...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
A guided yard and shop tour! I think the RR is shut down on Mondays. You'll have to check that. I heard later, one might could ride in the engine cab. May want to ask the engineer about that.
We were there for the train, only.
There is a ski area close by. Don't know anything about it.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315